- •The response rate for docetaxel plus ramucirumab (RD) after chemo-immunotherapy was 28.8%.
- •Progression free survivaland overall survival for RD after chemo-immunotherapy were 4.1 months and 11.6 months, respectively.
- •The frequency of pneumonitis due to RD after chemo-immunotherapy was 10.8%.
- •Bone metastasis, poor performance status and non-adenocarcinoma were prognostic factors for poor overall survival .
Ramucirumab plus docetaxel (RD) is a promising treatment for previously treated advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). However, its clinical significance after platinum-based chemotherapy plus programmed death-1 (PD-1) blockade remains unclear.
What is the clinical significance of RD as a second-line treatment after the failure of chemo-immunotherapy in NSCLC?
Study design and methods
In this multicentre retrospective study, 288 patients with advanced NSCLC who received RDas second-line therapy after platinum-based chemotherapy plus PD-1 blockade, at 62 Japanese institutions from January 2017 to August 2020, were included. Prognostic analyses were performed using the log-rank test. Prognostic factor analyses were performed using a Cox regression analysis.
A total of 288 patients were enrolled: 222 were men (77.1%), 262 were aged <75 years (91.0%), 237 (82.3%) had smoking history and 269 (93.4%) had a performance status (PS) of 0–1. One hundred ninety-nine patients (69.1%) were classified as adenocarcinoma (AC) and 89 (30.9%) as non-AC. The types of PD-1 blockade used in the first-line treatment were anti-PD-1 antibody and anti-programmed death-ligand 1 antibody in 236 (81.9%) and 52 (18.1%) patients, respectively. The objective response rate for RD was 28.8% (95% confidence interval [CI], 23.7–34.4). The disease control rate was 69.8% (95% CI, 64.1–75.0).The median progression free survival and overall survival were 4.1 months (95% CI, 3.5–4.6) and 11.6 months (95% CI, 9.9–13.9), respectively. In a multivariate analysis, non-AC and PS 2–3 were independent prognostic factors for worse progression free survival , while bone metastasis on diagnosis, PS 2–3 and non-AC were identified as independent prognostic factors for poor overall survival.
RD is a feasible second-line treatment in patients with advanced NSCLC who had received combined chemo-immunotherapy with PD-1 blockade.
Clinical trial registration number
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Halting angiogenesis suppresses carcinoma cell invasion.Nat Med. 1997; 3: 1222-1227
- Ramucirumab plus docetaxel versus placebo plus docetaxel for second-line treatment of stage IV non-small-cell lung cancer after disease progression on platinum-based therapy (REVEL): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2014; 384: 665-673
- Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy for PD-L1-positive non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1823-1833
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2078-2092
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy for squamous non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2040-2051
- Atezolizumab for first-line treatment of metastatic nonsquamous NSCLC.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2288-2301
- Atezolizumab in combination with carboplatin plus nab-paclitaxel chemotherapy compared with chemotherapy alone as first-line treatment for metastatic non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (IMpower130): a multicentre, randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 924-937
- Targeting VEGF/VEGFR to modulate antitumor immunity.Front Immunol. 2018; 9: 978
- Pembrolizumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1116-1127
- Avelumab plus axitinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1103-1115
- Nivolumab plus cabozantinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 829-841
- Lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab or everolimus for advanced renal cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 1289-1300
- Lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab for advanced endometrial cancer.N Engl J Med. 2022; 386: 437-448
- Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab in unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1894-1905
- Clinical implications of monitoring nivolumab immunokinetics in non-small cell lung cancer patients.JCI Insight. 2018; 3e59125https://doi.org/10.1172/jci.insight.59125
- Improved efficacy of ramucirumab plus docetaxel after nivolumab failure in previously treated non-small cell lung cancer patients.Thorac Cancer. 2019; 10: 775-781
- Previous immune checkpoint inhibitor treatment to increase the efficacy of docetaxel and ramucirumab combination chemotherapy.Anticancer Res. 2019; 39: 4987-4993
- Retrospective analysis of docetaxel in combination with ramucirumab for previously treated non-small cell lung cancer patients.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2019; 8: 450-460
- Propensity score-weighted analysis of chemotherapy after PD-1 inhibitors versus chemotherapy alone in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (WJOG10217L).J Immunother Cancer. 2020; 8e000350https://doi.org/10.1136/jitc-2019-000350
- Addition of ramucirumab enhances docetaxel efficacy in patients who had received anti-PD-1/PD-L1 treatment.Lung Cancer. 2020; 144: 71-75
- Atezolizumab plus chemotherapy for first-line treatment of nonsquamous NSCLC: results from the randomized phase 3 IMpower132 trial.J Thorac Oncol. 2021; 16: 653-664
- New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1).Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 228-247
- A randomized, double-blind, phase II study of ramucirumab plus docetaxel vs placebo plus docetaxel in Japanese patients with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer after disease progression on platinum-based therapy.Lung Cancer. 2016; 99: 186-193
- Real-world evaluation of factors for interstitial lung disease incidence and radiologic characteristics in patients with EGFR T790M-positive NSCLC treated with osimertinib in Japan.J Thorac Oncol. 2020; 15: 1893-1906
- Efficacy of docetaxel plus ramucirumab as palliative second-line therapy following first-line chemotherapy plus immune-checkpoint-inhibitor combination treatment in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) UICC stage IV.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2021; 10: 3093-3105
- Impact of docetaxel plus ramucirumab in a second-line setting after chemoimmunotherapy in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: a retrospective study.Thorac Cancer. 2022; 13: 173-181
- Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 2095-2103
- Randomized controlled trial of S-1 versus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy (East Asia S-1 Trial in Lung Cancer).Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 2698-2706
- Phase 3 trial comparing nanoparticle albumin-bound paclitaxel with docetaxel for previously treated advanced NSCLC.J Thorac Oncol. 2021; 16: 1523-1532
- Phase II randomized study of ramucirumab and pembrolizumab versus standard of care in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with immunotherapy-lung-MAP S1800A.J Clin Oncol. 2022; 40: 2295-2306
- The role and significance of VEGFR2+ regulatory T cells in tumor immunity.OncoTargets Ther. 2017; 10: 4315-4319
- VEGFR2 activity on myeloid cells mediates immune suppression in the tumor microenvironment.JCI Insight. 2021; 6e150735https://doi.org/10.1172/jci.insight.150735
Published online: February 10, 2023
Accepted: January 26, 2023
Received in revised form: December 26, 2022
Received: November 5, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.