- •The composition of microbiota in metastases is tissue-rather than tumor-driven.
- •PD-L1 and tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes are associated with microbiome diversity.
- •This ancillary study supports the cancer-microbiome-immune axis hypothesis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- Global burden of cancers attributable to infections in 2008: a review and synthetic analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: 607-615
- Microbiota in tumors: from understanding to application.Adv Sci. 2022; 9e2200470
- The human tumor microbiome is composed of tumor type-specific intracellular bacteria.Science. 2020; 368: 973-980
- Intratumor microbiome in cancer progression: current developments, challenges and future trends.Biomark Res. 2022; 10: 37
- The intratumoral microbiome: characterization methods and functional impact.Cancer Lett. 2021; 522: 63-79
- Analysis of Fusobacterium persistence and antibiotic response in colorectal cancer.Science. 2017; 358: 1443-1448
- Molecularly targeted therapy based on tumour molecular profiling versus conventional therapy for advanced cancer (SHIVA): a multicentre, open-label, proof-of-concept, randomised, controlled phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 1324-1334
- Validation of the Royal Marsden Hospital prognostic score in patients treated in the Phase I Clinical Trials Program at the MD Anderson Cancer Center.Cancer. 2012; 118: 1422-1428
- Performance status assessment by using ECOG (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group) score for cancer patients by Oncology Healthcare Professionals.Case Rep Oncol. 2019; 12: 728-736
- The evaluation of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) in breast cancer: recommendations by an International TILs Working Group 2014.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 259-271
- The journey of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes as a biomarker in breast cancer: clinical utility in an era of checkpoint inhibition.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: 1236-1244
- Pembrolizumab alone or with chemotherapy versus cetuximab with chemotherapy for recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (KEYNOTE-048): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 study.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1915-1928
- Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy for PD-L1-positive non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1823-1833
- CD274/PD-L1 gene amplification and PD-L1 protein expression are common events in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 12024-12034
- Deriving accurate microbiota profiles from human samples with low bacterial content through post-sequencing processing of Illumina MiSeq data.Microbiome. 2015; 3: 19
- FastQ Screen: a tool for multi-genome mapping and quality control.F1000Res. 2018; 7: 1338
- Cutadapt removes adapter sequences from high-throughput sequencing reads.EMBnetjournal. 2011; 17 (Next Generation Sequencing Data Analysis)
- DADA2: high-resolution sample inference from Illumina amplicon data.Nat Methods. 2016; 13: 581-583
- Simple statistical identification and removal of contaminant sequences in marker-gene and metagenomics data.Microbiome. 2018; 6: 226
- phyloseq: an R package for reproducible interactive analysis and graphics of microbiome census data.PLoS One. 2013; 8e61217
- Moderated estimation of fold change and dispersion for RNA-seq data with DESeq2.Genome Biol. 2014; 15: 550
- Multivariable association discovery in population-scale meta-omics studies.PLoS Comput Biol. 2021; 17e1009442
- New insights into the cancer-microbiome-immune axis: decrypting a decade of discoveries.Front Immunol. 2021; 12622064
- Tumor microbiome diversity and composition influence pancreatic cancer outcomes.Cell. 2019; 178: 795-806.e12
- Gut microbiome diversity is an independent predictor of survival in cervical cancer patients receiving chemoradiation.Commun Biol. 2021; 4: 237
- PD-L1 and survival in solid tumors: a meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0131403
- Relationship of the lung microbiome with PD-L1 expression and immunotherapy response in lung cancer.Respir Res. 2021; 22: 322
☆Financial support: This work was supported in part by the Department of Diagnostic and Theragnostic Medicine, Institut Curie Hospital Group, Paris, France and the Department of Drug Development and Innovation of Institut Curie (D3i). The SHIVA01 trial was supported by grant ANR-10-EQPX-03 from the Agence Nationale de le Recherche (Investissements d’avenir) and Site de Recherche Intégré contre le Cancer (SiRIC).