- •Optimal adjuvant bisphosphonate dose and duration in breast cancer is unclear.
- •We evaluated outcomes of early treatment cessation in the ABCSG-12 dataset.
- •Receiving fewer than 7 zoledronate infusions had no significant effect on DFS or OS.
- •Adjuvant bisphosphonate de-escalation in breast cancer must be further studied.
The widespread adoption of adjuvant bisphosphonate therapy for postmenopausal early breast cancer (EBC) patients was based on results of the Early Breast Cancer Trialist Group (EBCTCG) meta-analysis. Despite multiple regimens evaluated, there was no signal of varying efficacy with type, dose/dose intensity of bisphosphonate administration. We evaluated the effect of early treatment cessation using long-term outcome data from the ABCSG-12 trial.
Patients and methods
ABCSG-12 randomized 1803 hormone-receptor positive EBC patients on ovarian suppression between 1999 and 2006 to receive 4 mg zoledronic acid 6-monthly or not (and tamoxifen or anastrozole, 2:2 factorial design). In the current study, we evaluated whether the number of zoledronate infusions had an impact on breast cancer-specific outcomes. We hypothesized that amongst patients who received at least one zoledronate infusion, the number of infusions had no effect on outcomes. Time-to-event endpoints were analysed with Cox models and Kaplan Meier curves starting from a 3-year landmark. BMD analysis was restricted to patients who participated in the BMD sub-study.
725 patients who received at least one zoledronate infusion were included in the time-to-event analysis. There was no statistically significant difference in disease-free or overall survival in the patients who received ≤6 zoledronate infusions (n = 170) compared to those who received ≥7 zoledronate infusions (n = 555).
Comparable to efforts to de-escalate treatment duration in metastatic bone disease, there was no evidence to indicate that a reduced number of zoledronate infusions is associated with reduced adjuvant efficacy. Further studies to define optimal regimens of adjuvant bone-targeted therapies are required.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Zoledronic acid (zoledronate) for postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole (ZO-FAST study): final 60-month results.Ann Oncol. 2013; 24: 398-405
- Adjuvant bisphosphonate treatment for breast cancer: why did something so elegant become so complicated?.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012; 134: 453-457
- Randomized trial of denosumab in patients receiving adjuvant aromatase inhibitors for nonmetastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 4875-4882
- Adjuvant bisphosphonate treatment in early breast cancer: meta-analyses of individual patient data from randomised trials.Lancet. 2015; 386: 1353-1361
- Use of adjuvant bisphosphonates and other bone-modifying agents in breast cancer: a cancer care Ontario and American society of clinical oncology clinical practice guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 2062-2081
- Adjuvant bisphosphonates in early breast cancer: consensus guidance for clinical practice from a European Panel.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 379-390
- St. Gallen/vienna 2019: a brief summary of the consensus discussion on the optimal primary breast cancer treatment.Breast Care. 2019; 14: 103-110
- Adoption of adjuvant bisphosphonates for early breast cancer into standard clinical practice: challenges and lessons learnt from comparison of the UK and Australian experience.Journal of Bone Oncology. 2021; 31100402
- Adjuvant bisphosphonate use in patients with early stage breast cancer: patient perspectives on treatment acceptability and potential de-escalation.J bone oncology. 2020; 27: 100351
- Adjuvant bisphosphonate use in patients with early stage breast cancer: a physician survey.Support Care Cancer. 2020;187:477–486;
- Use of adjuvant bisphosphonates and other bone-modifying agents in breast cancer: ASCO-OH (CCO) guideline update.J Clin Oncol. 2022; 40: 787-800
- Pharmacotherapy of bone metastases in breast cancer patients – an update.Expet Opin Pharmacother. 2014; 15: 1109-1118
- Efficacy and safety of 12-weekly versus 4-weekly zoledronic acid for prolonged treatment of patients with bone metastases from breast cancer (ZOOM): a phase 3, open-label, randomised, non-inferiority trial.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 663-670
- Effect of longer-interval vs standard dosing of zoledronic acid on skeletal events in patients with bone metastases: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 317: 48-58
- Continued treatment effect of zoledronic acid dosing every 12 vs 4 Weeks in women with breast cancer metastatic to bone: the OPTIMIZE-2 randomized clinical trial.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 906-912
- A randomized trial comparing four-weekly versus 12-weekly administration of bone-targeted agents (denosumab, zoledronate, or pamidronate) in patients with bone metastases from either breast or castration-resistant prostate cancer.American Society of Clinic Oncol. 2019;
- De-escalation of bone-modifying agents in patients with bone metastases from breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019; 176: 507-517
- Survival in older women with early stage breast cancer receiving low-dose bisphosphonates or denosumab.Cancer. 2020; 126: 3929-3938
- Effect of oral bisphosphonates for osteoporosis on development of skeletal metastases in women with breast cancer: results from a pharmaco-epidemiological study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014; 106
- Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1809-1822
- Efficacy and safety of single-dose zoledronic acid for osteoporosis in frail elderly women: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 913-921
- A single-dose zoledronic acid infusion prevents antiretroviral therapy-induced bone loss in treatment-naive HIV-infected patients: a phase IIb trial.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 63: 663-671
- Duration of antiresorptive activity of zoledronate in postmenopausal women with osteopenia: a randomized, controlled multidose trial.Can Med Assoc J. 2017; 189: E1130
- Abstract GS1-06: extended adjuvant bisphosphonate treatment over five years in early breast cancer does not improve disease-free and overall survival compared to two years of treatment: phase III data from the SUCCESS A study.AACR, 2018
- Prolonged efficacy of a single dose of the bisphosphonate zoledronic acid.Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13: 5406-5410
- Feasibility outcomes of a randomised, multicentre, pilot trial comparing standard 6-monthly dosing of adjuvant zoledronate with a single one-time dose in patients with early stage breast cancer.J Bone Oncol. 2021; 26100343
- Bisphosphonate choice as adjuvant therapy for breast cancer: does it matter?.Oxford University Press, 2020
- Phase III randomized trial of bisphosphonates as adjuvant therapy in breast cancer: S0307. Jnci.J Nat Canc Ins, 2020
- Endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 679-691
- Bisphosphonate use and risk of recurrence, second primary breast cancer, and breast cancer mortality in a population-based cohort of breast cancer patients.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2018; 27: 165-173
- Adjuvant denosumab in postmenopausal patients with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer (ABCSG-18): disease-free survival results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 339-351
- Adjuvant denosumab in early breast cancer (D-CARE): an international, multicentre, randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: 60-72
- Direct and indirect anticancer activity of bisphosphonates: a brief review of published literature.Cancer Treat Rev. 2012; 38: 407-415
- The endosteal niche in breast cancer bone metastasis.Front Oncol. 2020; 10
- Dormancy in the tumor microenvironment.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2021; 1329: 35-49
- The current paradigm and challenges ahead for the dormancy of disseminated tumor cells.Nat Can (Que). 2020; 1: 672-680
- Long-term outcomes of adjuvant denosumab in breast cancer: fracture reduction and survival results from 3,425 patients in the randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled ABCSG-18 trial.ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago20222022
- Adjuvant endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: 62-month follow-up from the ABCSG-12 randomised trial.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 631-641
- Zoledronic acid combined with adjuvant endocrine therapy of tamoxifen versus anastrozol plus ovarian function suppression in premenopausal early breast cancer: final analysis of the Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group Trial 12.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 313-320
Published online: December 31, 2022
Accepted: December 3, 2022
Received in revised form: November 30, 2022
Received: October 31, 2022
Crown Copyright © 2022 Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.