- •3′U-tRFValCAC enhances cell growth and migration of ovarian cancer cells.
- •Patients with elevated 3′U-tRFValCAC are at higher risk for early progression.
- •3′U-tRFValCAC is significantly associated with poor overall survival in ovarian cancer.
- •3′U-tRFValCAC-fitted multivariate models improved risk stratification and prognosis.
Despite recent advances in epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) management, the highly heterogenous histological/molecular tumour background and patients' treatment response obstructs personalised prognosis and therapeutics. Herein, we have studied the role and clinical utility of the novel subclass of tRNA-derived small RNA fragments emerging via 3′-trailer processing of pre-tRNAs (3′U-tRFs) in EOC.
SK-OV-3 and OVCAR-3 cells were used for in vitro study. Following transfection, cell growth and migration were assessed by CCK8 and wound healing assays, respectively. 3′U-tRFs levels were assessed by reverse transcription quantitative PCR (RT-qPCR), following 3′-end RNA polyadenylation. A screening (OVCAD, n = 100) and institutionally independent validation (TU Munich, n = 103) cohorts were employed for survival analysis using disease progression and patients' death as clinical end-points. Bootstrap analysis was performed for internal validation, and decision curve analysis was used to evaluate clinical benefit on disease prognosis.
Following primary clinical assessment, target prediction and gene ontology analyses, the 3′U-tRFValCAC (derived from pre-tRNAValCAC) was highlighted to regulate cell proliferation and adhesion, and to correlate with inferior patients' outcome. 3′U-tRFValCAC transfection of SK-OV-3 and OVCAR-3 cells resulted in significantly increased cell growth and migration, in a dose-dependent manner. Elevated tumour 3′U-tRFValCAC levels were associated with significantly higher risk for early progression and worse survival following first-line platinum-based chemotherapy, independently of patients' clinicopathological data, chemotherapy response, and residual tumour. Interestingly, 3′U-tRFValCAC-fitted multivariate models improved risk stratification and provided superior clinical net benefit in prediction of treatment outcome compared to disease established markers.
3′U-tRFValCAC promotes tumour cell growth and migration and supports modern risk stratification and prognosis in EOC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- Cancer statistics, 2022.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72: 7-33
- Ovarian cancer.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2016; 216061
- Ovarian cancer.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1376-1388
- Epithelial ovarian cancer: evolution of management in the era of precision medicine.CA Cancer J Clin. 2019; : 280-304
- Epithelial ovarian cancer.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1240-1253
- Ovarian cancer population screening and mortality after long-term follow-up in the UK Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2021; 397: 2182-2193
- Biogenesis and function of transfer RNA-related fragments (tRFs).Trends Biochem Sci. 2016; 41: 679-689
- Meta-analysis of tRNA derived RNA fragments reveals that they are evolutionarily conserved and associate with AGO proteins to recognize specific RNA targets.BMC Biol. 2014; 12: 78
- Human tRNA-derived small RNAs in the global regulation of RNA silencing.RNA. 2010; 16: 673-695
- tsRNA signatures in cancer.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017; 114: 8071-8076
- 3' processing of eukaryotic precursor tRNAs.Wiley Interdiscip Rev RNA. 2011; 2: 362-375
- tRNA derived small RNAs- small players with big roles.Front Genet. 2022; 13997780
- Deep sequencing of human nuclear and cytoplasmic small RNAs reveals an unexpectedly complex subcellular distribution of miRNAs and tRNA 3' trailers.PLoS One. 2010; 5e10563
- Dysregulation of a family of short noncoding RNAs, tsRNAs, in human cancer.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016; 113: 5071-5076
- Outcome and clinical management of 275 patients with advanced ovarian cancer International Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecology II to IV inside the European Ovarian Cancer Translational Research Consortium-OVCAD.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013; 23: 268-275
- miR-181a overexpression predicts the poor treatment response and early-progression of serous ovarian cancer patients.Int J Cancer. 2020; 147: 3560-3573
- miR-203 is an independent molecular predictor of prognosis and treatment outcome in ovarian cancer: a multi-institutional study.Carcinogenesis. 2020; 41: 442-451
- miRDB: an online database for prediction of functional microRNA targets.Nucleic Acids Res. 2020; 48: D127-D131
- X-tile: a new bio-informatics tool for biomarker assessment and outcome-based cut-point optimization.Clin Cancer Res. 2004; 10: 7252-7259
- Decision curve analysis: a novel method for evaluating prediction models.Med Decis Making. 2006; 26: 565-574
- REporting recommendations for tumour MARKer prognostic studies (REMARK).Eur J Cancer. 2005; 41: 1690-1696
- Ovarian cancer: an overview.Am Fam Physician. 2009; 80: 609-616
- Current state of biomarkers in ovarian cancer prognosis.Future Oncol. 2015; 11: 3187-3195
- Revisiting ovarian cancer preclinical models: implications for a better management of the disease.Cancer Treat Rev. 2013; 39: 561-568
- Advances in ovarian cancer therapy.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2018; 81: 17-38
- Ovarian carcinomas: five distinct diseases with different origins, genetic alterations, and clinicopathological features.Virchows Arch. 2012; 460: 237-249
- tRNA-derived fragments: mechanisms underlying their regulation of gene expression and potential applications as therapeutic targets in cancers and virus infections.Theranostics. 2021; 11: 461-469
- Relationship between tRNA-derived fragments and human cancers.Int J Cancer. 2020; 147: 3007-3018
- TCL1 targeting miR-3676 is codeleted with tumor protein p53 in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015; 112: 2169-2174
- Dysregulation of different classes of tRNA fragments in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019; 116: 24252-24258
- Endogenous tRNA-derived fragments suppress breast cancer progression via YBX1 displacement.Cell. 2015; 161: 790-802
- Identification of tRNA-derived small RNA (tsRNA) responsive to the tumor suppressor, RUNX1, in breast cancer.J Cell Physiol. 2020; 235: 5318-5327
- A novel 3'tRNA-derived fragment tRF-Val promotes proliferation and inhibits apoptosis by targeting EEF1A1 in gastric cancer.Cell Death Dis. 2022; 13: 471
- tRNA-derived fragments (tRFs) in bladder cancer: increased 5'-tRF-LysCTT results in disease early progression and patients' poor treatment outcome.Cancers (Basel). 2020; 12
- A comprehensive repertoire of tRNA-derived fragments in prostate cancer.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 24766-24777
- A tRNA fragment, tRF5-Glu, regulates BCAR3 expression and proliferation in ovarian cancer cells.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 95377-95391
- tRNA-derived fragment tRF-03357 promotes cell proliferation, migration and invasion in high-grade serous ovarian cancer.Onco Targets Ther. 2019; 12: 6371-6383
- tRNA(GlyGCC)-derived internal fragment (i-tRF-GlyGCC) in ovarian cancer treatment outcome and progression.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 14
Published online: January 02, 2023
Accepted: November 23, 2022
Received: November 11, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.