- •No randomised trial has been conducted to compare atezolizumab plus bevacizumab to lenvatinib.
- •Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab did not show a survival advantage over lenvatinib.
- •Lenvatinib provided longer in patients with NASH/NAFLD.
- •Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab provided longer in patients with viral aetiology.
- •Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab consistently reduced any toxicity and those graded as 3–4.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2008 Jul 24; 359 (PMID: 18650514): 378-390https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0708857
- Efficacy and safety of sorafenib in patients in the Asia-Pacific region with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase III randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2009 Jan; 10 (Epub 2008 Dec 16. PMID: 19095497): 25-34https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70285-7
- Lenvatinib versus sorafenib in first-line treatment of patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a randomised phase 3 non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1163-1173
- KEYNOTE-240 investigators. Pembrolizumab as second-line therapy in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma in KEYNOTE-240: a randomized, double-blind, phase III trial.J Clin Oncol. 2020 Jan 20; 38 (Epub 2019 Dec 2. PMID: 31790344): 193-202https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19.01307
- Nivolumab versus sorafenib in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (CheckMate 459): a randomised, multicentre, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2022 Jan; 23 (Epub 2021 Dec 13. PMID: 34914889): 77-90https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(21)00604-5
- IMbrave150 investigators. Atezolizumab plus bevacizumab in unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2020 May 14; 382 (PMID: 32402160): 1894-1905https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1915745
- Tremelimumab plus durvalumab in unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma.NEJM Evid. 2022 June 6; 1https://doi.org/10.1056/EVIDoa2100070
- KEYNOTE-240 investigators. Pembrolizumab as second-line therapy in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma in KEYNOTE-240: a randomized, double-blind, phase III trial.J Clin Oncol. 2020 Jan 20; 38: 193-202https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19.01307
- Comparative efficacy of atezolizumab plus bevacizumab and other treatment options for patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a network meta-analysis.Liver Cancer. 2021 Jun; 10 (Epub 2021 May 6. PMID: 34239810) (PMCID: PMC8237801): 240-248https://doi.org/10.1159/000515302
- Is atezolizumab plus bevacizumab for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma superior even to lenvatinib? A matching-adjusted indirect comparison.Targeted Oncol. 2021 Mar; 16: 249-254https://doi.org/10.1007/s11523-021-00803-8
- Atezolizumab/bevacizumab vs. Lenvatinib as first-line therapy for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a real-world, multi-center study.Cancers. 2022 Mar 29; 14: 1747https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers14071747
- European association for the study of the liver (EASL); European association for the study of Diabetes (EASD); European association for the study of obesity (EASO). EASL-EASD-EASO clinical practice guidelines for the management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.J Hepatol. 2016 Jun; 64 (Epub 2016 Apr 7. PMID: 27062661): 1388-1402https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2015.11.004
- Real-life clinical data of lenvatinib versus sorafenib for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma in Italy.Cancer Manag Res. 2021 Dec 24; 13: 9379-9389https://doi.org/10.2147/CMAR.S330195
- Lenvatinib versus Sorafenib as first-line treatment in hepatocellular carcinoma: a multi-institutional matched case-control study.Hepatol Res. 2021 Dec; 51: 1229-1241https://doi.org/10.1111/hepr.13718
- Lenvatinib versus sorafenib in first-line treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: an inverse probability of treatment weighting analysis.Liver Int. 2021 Jun; 41: 1389-1397https://doi.org/10.1111/liv.14817
- Sorafenib versus lenvatinib-based sequential systemic therapy for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a real-world analysis.Cancers. 1975; 14 (2022 Apr 13)https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers14081975
- Efficacy of lenvatinib and sorafenib in the real-world first-line treatment of advanced-stage hepatocellular carcinoma in a Taiwanese population.J Clin Med. 2022 Mar 6; 11: 1444https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm11051444
- Comparative study between sorafenib and lenvatinib as the first-line therapy in the sequential treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma in a real-world setting.JGH Open. 2021 Dec 17; 6: 29-35https://doi.org/10.1002/jgh3.12691
- Real-world lenvatinib versus sorafenib in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a propensity score matching analysis.Front Oncol. 2021 Oct 25; 11737767https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2021.737767
- On behalf of Japanese red cross liver study group. The real-world data in Japanese patients with unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma treated with lenvatinib from a nationwide multicenter study.Cancers. 2021 May 26; 13: 2608https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers13112608
- Lenvatinib as first-line treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with impaired liver function in advanced liver cirrhosis: real world data and experience of a tertiary hepatobiliary center.J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2021 Jun 18; 30: 247-253https://doi.org/10.15403/jgld-3345
- Real-world effectiveness of lenvatinib monotherapy among unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma patients in the USA.Future Oncol. 2021 Jul; 17: 2759-2768https://doi.org/10.2217/fon-2021-0242
- Management of adverse events with tailored sorafenib dosing prolongs survival of hepatocellular carcinoma patients.J Hepatol. 2019 Dec; 71: 1175-1183https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2019.08.015
- Impact of physician experience and multidisciplinary team on clinical outcome in patients receiving sorafenib.Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol. 2019 Oct; 43: e76-e78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinre.2018.11.005
- Regorafenib for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma who progressed on sorafenib treatment (RESORCE): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2017 Jan 7; 389 (Epub 2016 Dec 6. Erratum in: Lancet) (2017 Jan 7;389(10064):36. PMID: 27932229): 56-66https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32453-9
- Cabozantinib in patients with advanced and progressing hepatocellular carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2018 Jul 5; 379 (PMID: 29972759) (PMCID: PMC7523244): 54-63https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1717002
- REACH-2 study investigators. Ramucirumab after sorafenib in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma and increased α-fetoprotein concentrations (REACH-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019 Feb; 20 (Epub 2019 Jan 18. PMID: 30665869): 282-296https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30937-9
- NASH limits anti-tumour surveillance in immunotherapy-treated HCC.Nature. 2021 Apr; 592: 450-456https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-03362-0
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in hepatocarcinoma: new insights about its prognostic role in patients treated with lenvatinib.ESMO Open. 2021 Dec; 6100330https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esmoop.2021.100330
- Real life study of lenvatinib therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: RELEVANT study.Liver Cancer. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1159/000525145