- •Large prospective study of NRSTS with lymph node (LN) involvement in young patients.
- •Occult lymph node involvement is exceedingly rare.
- •Isolated LN metastases have a favourable prognosis so should be treated aggressively.
- •Complete enlarged LN excision and nodal bed radiation correlate with better outcome.
Patients and methods
Clinicaltrials.gov Registry No.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer incidence and survival among children and adolescents: United States SEER Program 1975-1995.National Cancer Institute, SEER Program, 1999
- Prognostic factors for children and adolescents with surgically resected nonrhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcoma: an analysis of 121 patients treated at St Jude Children's Research Hospital.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 3697-3705
- New concepts for the treatment of pediatric nonrhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcomas.Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2005; 5: 307-318
- Metastatic nonrhabdomyosarcomatous soft-tissue sarcomas in children and adolescents: the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital experience.Med Pediatr Oncol. 1999; 33: 76-82
- Paediatric non-rhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcomas: the prospective NRSTS 2005 study by the European Pediatric Soft Tissue Sarcoma Study Group (EpSSG).Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2021; 5: 546-558
- The treatment approach to pediatric non-rhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcomas: a critical review from the INternational Soft Tissue SaRcoma ConsorTium.Eur J Cancer. 2022; 169: 10-19
- Curability of patients with lymph node metastases from extremity soft-tissue sarcoma.Cancer. 2020; 126: 5098-5108
- Defining the incidence and clinical significance of lymph node metastasis in soft tissue sarcoma.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018; 44: 170-177
- AJCC Cancer Staging Manual.8th ed. Springer, 2018
- ASO Author Reflections: location-specific staging in sarcoma-a step in the right direction.Ann Surg Oncol. 2018; 25: 930-931
- The AJCC 8th edition staging system for soft tissue sarcoma of the extremities or trunk: a cohort study of the SEER database.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018; 16: 144-152
- Clinical features and outcome of initially unresected nonmetastatic pediatric nonrhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcoma.J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 3225-3235
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in children and adolescents: the European Paediatric Soft Tissue Sarcoma Study Group prospective trial (EpSSG NRSTS 2005).Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020; 67e28351
- Outcome and prognostic factors in pediatric malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors: an analysis of the European Pediatric Soft Tissue Sarcoma Group (EpSSG) NRSTS-2005 prospective study.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019; 66e27833
- Synovial sarcoma in children and adolescents: the European pediatric soft tissue sarcoma study group prospective trial (EpSSG NRSTS 2005).Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 567-572
- Controversies and challenges in the management of paediatric non-rhabdomyosarcoma soft tissue sarcomas.Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2022; 6: 221-223
- Clinical features and outcomes of young patients with epithelioid sarcoma: an analysis from the Children's Oncology Group and the European paediatric soft tissue Sarcoma Study Group prospective clinical trials.Eur J Cancer. 2019; 112: 98-106
- A risk-based treatment strategy for non-rhabdomyosarcoma soft-tissue sarcomas in patients younger than 30 years (ARST0332): a Children's Oncology Group prospective study.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: 145-161
- WHO classification of tumours of soft tissue and bone. Fourth Addition.2013
- Nonrhabdomyosarcomatous soft tissue sarcomas of childhood: formulation of a simplified system for grading.Mod Pathol. 1995; 8: 705-710
- Reproducibility of a histopathologic grading system for adult soft tissue sarcoma.Cancer. 1986; 58: 306-309
- Lymph node metastasis in soft tissue sarcoma in an extremity.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; : 129-134
- Prognosis of lymph node metastasis in soft tissue sarcoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2004; 11: 714-719
- Soft tissue sarcomas: staging principles and prognostic nomograms.J Surg Oncol. 2015; 111: 532-539
- Lymph node metastasis from soft tissue sarcoma in adults. Analysis of data from a prospective database of 1772 sarcoma patients.Ann Surg. 1993; 217: 72-77
- Sentinel node biopsy in soft tissue sarcoma subtypes with a high propensity for regional lymphatic spread--results of a large prospective trial.Ann Oncol. 2013; 24: 1400-1405
- FDG PET/CT in initial staging of adult soft-tissue sarcoma.Sarcoma. 2012; 2012960194
☆Statement of prior presentation: This research paper was presented at the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology annual meeting, April 2017.