- •Tumour recurrence is common after trimodality therapy for oesophageal cancer.
- •The most common pattern is distant recurrence with or without local recurrence.
- •In 58% of patients, various systemic therapies were initiated depending on histology.
- •Time to recurrence, recurrence sites and systemic therapy correlated with survival.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249
- Oesophageal cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: v50-v57
- Treatment of locally advanced esophageal carcinoma: ASCO guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 2677-2694
- Ten-year outcome of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy plus surgery for esophageal cancer: the randomized controlled CROSS trial.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39: 1995-2004
- Adjuvant nivolumab in resected esophageal or gastroesophageal junction cancer.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 1191-1203
- Randomized phase III KEYNOTE-181 study of pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy in advanced esophageal cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 4138-4148
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for first-line treatment of advanced oesophageal cancer (KEYNOTE-590): a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 study.Lancet. 2021; 398: 759-771
- Treatment outcomes and prognostic factors after recurrence of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.World J Surg. 2018; 42: 2190-2198
- Prognosis and treatment after diagnosis of recurrent esophageal carcinoma following esophagectomy with curative intent.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: S1292-S1300
- Recurrence patterns and associated factors of locoregional failure following neoadjuvant chemoradiation and surgery for esophageal cancer.J Surg Oncol. 2018; 117: 150-159
- Survival after recurrent esophageal carcinoma has not improved over the past 18 years.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 2693-2698
- Patterns of recurrence after surgery and efficacy of salvage therapy after recurrence in patients with thoracic esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2020; 20: 144
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by chemoradiation and surgery with and without cetuximab in patients with resectable esophageal cancer: a randomized, open-label, phase III trial (SAKK 75/08).Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: 1386-1393
- Patterns and outcomes of recurrent esophageal cancer after curative esophagectomy.World J Surg. 2017; 41: 2337-2344
- Utilization and efficacy of palliative chemotherapy for locally advanced or metastatic gastroesophageal carcinoma.Anticancer Res. 2020; 40: 965-975
- Definitions and treatment of oligometastatic oesophagogastric cancer according to multidisciplinary tumour boards in Europe.Eur J Cancer. 2022; 164: 18-29
- Safety and efficacy of stereotactic body radiation therapy for locoregional recurrences after prior chemoradiation for advanced esophageal carcinoma.Front Oncol. 2020; 10: 1311
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for pulmonary oligometastases from esophageal cancer: results and prognostic factors.Anticancer Res. 2020; 40: 2065-2072
- Nivolumab (NIVO) plus ipilimumab (IPI) or NIVO plus chemotherapy (chemo) versus chemo as first-line (1L) treatment for advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC): first results of the CheckMate 648 study.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39 (LBA4001-LBA4001)
- First-line nivolumab plus chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for advanced gastric, gastro-oesophageal junction, and oesophageal adenocarcinoma (CheckMate 649): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2021; 398: 27-40
- LBA8_PR Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy versus chemotherapy as first-line therapy in patients with advanced esophageal cancer: the phase 3 KEYNOTE-590 study.Ann Oncol. 2020; 31: S1192-S1193