- •This meta-analysis quantifies excess of early mortality upon first-line immunotherapy in solid tumors.
- •Early mortality risk increases with immunotherapy alone versus other treatments.
- •Neither PD-L1 levels nor class of immune checkpoint inhibitors predict early mortality.
- •Gastric and urothelial carcinoma are at higher risk of early mortality upon immunotherapy.
- •Immunotherapy combination strategies can prevent early mortality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Choosing wisely first line immunotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): what to add and what to leave out.Cancer Treat Rev. 2019; 75: 39-51
- Durvalumab alone and durvalumab plus tremelimumab versus chemotherapy in previously untreated patients with unresectable, locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma (DANUBE): a randomised, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: 1574-1588
- Efficacy and safety of pembrolizumab or pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy vs chemotherapy alone for patients with first-line, advanced gastric cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 1-10
- Durvalumab with or without tremelimumab vs standard chemotherapy in first-line treatment of metastatic non-small cell lung cancer: the MYSTIC phase 3 randomized clinical trial.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 661-674
- Nivolumab versus docetaxel in advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1627-1639
- Nivolumab for recurrent squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1856-1867
- Pembrolizumab as second-line therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1015-1026
- Pembrolizumab alone or combined with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy as first-line therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma (KEYNOTE-361): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22: 931-945
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2020-2031
- First-line nivolumab in stage IV or recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 2415-2426
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in lung cancer with a high tumor mutational burden.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2093-2104
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2078-2092
- Nivolumab plus cabozantinib versus sunitinib for advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 829-841
- Hyperprogressive disease in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors or with single-agent chemotherapy.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 1543-1552
- Fast progression in non-small cell lung cancer: results from the randomized phase III OAK study evaluating second-line atezolizumab versus docetaxel.J Immunother Cancer. 2021; 9e001882
- Comparison of fast-progression, hyperprogressive disease, and early deaths in advanced non–small-cell lung cancer treated with PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors or chemotherapy.JCO Precision Oncology. 2020; : 829-840
- Hyperprogressive disease: recognizing a novel pattern to improve patient management.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2018; 15: 748-762
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions.2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (UK)2019
- The results of direct and indirect treatment comparisons in meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Clin Epidemiol. 1997; 50: 683-691
- Indirect comparisons of competing interventions.Health Technol Assess. 2005; 9 (iii-iv): 1-134
- GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2008; 336: 924-926
- Clinical characteristics of hyperprogressive disease in NSCLC after treatment with immune checkpoint inhibitor: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Cancer. 2020; 20: 707
- Definition, incidence, and challenges for assessment of hyperprogressive disease during cancer treatment with immune checkpoint inhibitors: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e211136
- Analysis of early mortality in randomized clinical trials evaluating anti-PD-1/PD-L1 antibodies: a systematic analysis by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).J Clin Orthod. 2019; 37 (2516): 2516
- Assessment of pembrolizumab therapy for the treatment of microsatellite instability–high gastric or gastroesophageal junction cancer among patients in the KEYNOTE-059, KEYNOTE-061, and KEYNOTE-062 clinical trials.JAMA Oncol. 2021; 7: 895-902
- Comprehensive molecular characterization of clinical responses to PD-1 inhibition in metastatic gastric cancer.Nat Med. 2018; 24: 1449-1458
- Correlation of tumor mutational burden (TMB) with molecular profiling and clinical characteristics in patients with bladder cancer.J Clin Orthod. 2020; 38 (e17025): e17025
- High tumor mutation burden fails to predict immune checkpoint blockade response across all cancer types.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: 661-672
- Immunostimulation with chemotherapy in the era of immune checkpoint inhibitors.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2020; 17: 725-741
- Use of immunotherapy with programmed cell death 1 vs programmed cell death ligand 1 inhibitors in patients with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 375-384