- •Breast ultrasound results in false-positive findings causing unnecessary biopsies.
- •We developed and tested an intelligent multi-modal shear wave elastography algorithm.
- •Performance was higher compared to breast ultrasound and traditional elastography.
- •Unnecessary biopsies were significantly reduced by 50.3% with 0% undetected malignancies.
- •Prospective validation of the algorithm in a diverse setting seems warranted.
Abbreviations:ACR (American College of Radiology), BI-RADS (Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System), CI (confidence interval), AUC (area under the curve), ROC (receiver-operating characteristic), ML (machine learning), LR (logistic regression)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sensitivity and specificity of mammography and adjunctive ultrasonography to screen for breast cancer in the Japan Strategic Anti-cancer Randomized Trial (J-START): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 341-348https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00774-6
- Detection of breast cancer with addition of annual screening ultrasound or a single screening MRI to mammography in women with elevated breast cancer risk.JAMA, J Am Med Assoc. 2012; 307: 1394-1404https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.388
- Combined screening with mammography and ultrasound in a population-based screening program.Eur J Radiol. 2018; 101: 24-29https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2018.01.022
- Shear-wave elastography improves the specificity of breast US: the BE1 multinational study of 939 masses.Radiology. 2012; 262: 435-449https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.11110640
- The potential of shear wave elastography to reduce unnecessary biopsies in breast cancer diagnosis: an international, diagnostic, multicenter trial.Ultraschall der Med. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1055/a-1543-6156
- The potential of combined shear wave and strain elastography to reduce unnecessary biopsies in breast cancer diagnostics – an international, multicentre trial.Eur J Cancer. 2022; 161: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2021.11.005
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare.Nat Biomed Eng. 2018; 2: 719-731https://doi.org/10.1038/s41551-018-0305-z
- Machine learning in medicine.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1347-1358https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1814259
- Towards patient-centered decision-making in breast cancer surgery.Ann Surg. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1097/sla.0000000000004862
- Identification of breast cancer patients with pathologic complete response in the breast after neoadjuvant systemic treatment by an intelligent vacuum-assisted biopsy.Eur J Cancer. 2021; 143: 134-146https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2020.11.006
- Development of machine learning algorithms for the prediction of financial toxicity in localized breast cancer following surgical treatment.JCO Clin Cancer Informatics. 2021; 5: 338-347https://doi.org/10.1200/cci.20.00088
- ACR BI-RADS atlas: breast imaging reporting and data system.5th ed. 2013 (Reston, Virginia)
- Breast elastography: how to perform and integrate into a “best-practice” patient treatment algorithm.J Ultrasound Med. 2020; 39: 7-17https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.15137
- WFUMB guidelines and recommendations for clinical use of ultrasound elastography: Part 2: Breast.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2015; 41: 1148-1160https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2015.03.008
- How to read articles that use machine learning: users' guides to the medical literature.JAMA, J Am Med Assoc. 2020; 322: 1806-1816https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.16489
- STARD 2015 guidelines for reporting diagnostic accuracy studies: explanation and elaboration.BMJ Open. 2016; 6: e012799https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012799
- Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for individual prognosis or diagnosis (TRIPOD): the TRIPOD statement.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 55-63https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-0697
- Machine learning in medicine: a practical introduction.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2019; 19: 1-18https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-019-0681-4
- Machine learning to predict individual patient-reported outcomes at 2-year follow-up for women undergoing cancer-related mastectomy and breast reconstruction (INSPiRED-001).Breast. 2021; 60: 111-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2021.09.009
- Intelligent vacuum-assisted biopsy to identify breast cancer patients with pathologic complete response (ypT0 and ypN0) after neoadjuvant systemic treatment for omission of breast and axillary surgery.J Clin Oncol. 2022; 40 (15): 1903https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.21.02439
- The lasso method for variable selection in the Cox model.Stat Med. 1997; 16 (2-3): 385-395https://doi.org/10.1002/(sici)1097-0258(19970228)16:4<385::aid-sim380>3.0.co
- Regularization paths for generalized linear models via coordinate descent.J Stat Software. 2010; 33: 1-22
- Direct adaptive method for faster backpropagation learning: the RPROP algorithm.in: 1993 IEEE int. Conf. Neural networks. Publ by IEEE, 1993: 586-591https://doi.org/10.1109/icnn.1993.298623
- Deep learning.Nature. 2015; 521: 436-444https://doi.org/10.1038/nature14539
- A general coefficient of similarity and some of its properties.Biometrics. 1971; 27: 857https://doi.org/10.2307/2528823
- The box-cox transformation technique: a review.Stat. 1992; 41: 169https://doi.org/10.2307/2348250
- Random search for hyper-parameter optimization yoshua bengio.J Mach Learn Res. 2012; 13: 281-305
- Classification and regression training - the “caret” package.2020accessed April 27, 2021)
- All models are wrong.in: But many are useful: learning a variable's importance by studying an entire class of prediction models simultaneously. vol. 20. 2019
- Multivariable prognostic models: issues in developing models, evaluating assumptions and adequacy, and measuring and reducing errors.Stat Med. 1996; 15 (2-4): 361-387https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19960229)15:4<361::AID-SIM168>3.0.CO
- Probabilistic prediction in patient management and clinical trials.Stat Med. 1986; 5: 421-433https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.4780050506
- Benefits, harms, and cost-effectiveness of supplemental ultrasonography screening for women with dense breasts.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 157-166https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-0692
- Performance of screening ultrasonography as an adjunct to screening mammography in women across the spectrum of breast cancer risk.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 658-667https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.8372
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 209-249https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21660
- The payer and patient cost burden of open breast conserving procedures following percutaneous breast biopsy.Breast Cancer Basic Clin Res. 2018; 12117822341877776https://doi.org/10.1177/1178223418777766
- Evaluation of virtual touch tissue imaging quantification, a new shear wave velocity imaging method, for breast lesion assessment by ultrasound.BioMed Res Int. 2014; (2014)https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/960262
- The importance of multi-modal imaging and clinical information for humans and AI-based algorithms to classify breast masses (INSPiRED 003): an international, multicenter analysis.Eur Radiol. 2022; 1: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1007/S00330-021-08519-Z
- Computer-aided tumor diagnosis using shear wave breast elastography.Ultrasonics. 2017; 78: 125-133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2017.03.010
- Dual-mode artificially-intelligent diagnosis of breast tumours in shear-wave elastography and B-mode ultrasound using deep polynomial networks.Med Eng Phys. 2019; 64: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MEDENGPHY.2018.12.005
- Bi-modal transfer learning for classifying breast cancers via combined B-mode and ultrasound strain imaging.IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectrics Freq Control. 2022; 69: 222-232https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2021.3119251
- Deep learning-based radiomics of B-mode ultrasonography and shear-wave elastography: improved performance in breast mass classification.Front Oncol. 2020; 10https://doi.org/10.3389/FONC.2020.01621
- Classification of breast masses on ultrasound shear wave elastography using convolutional neural networks.Ultrason Imag. 2020; 42: 213-220https://doi.org/10.1177/0161734620932609
- Deep learning based classification of breast tumors with shear-wave elastography.Ultrasonics. 2016; 72: 150-157https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ULTRAS.2016.08.004
- Machine learning–based diagnostic evaluation of shear-wave elastography in BI-RADS category 4 breast cancer screening: a multicenter, retrospective study.Quant Imag Med Surg. 2022; 12: 1223https://doi.org/10.21037/QIMS-21-341
- Maximizing the potential of patient-reported assessments by using the open-source concerto platform with computerized adaptive testing and machine learning.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e20950https://doi.org/10.2196/20950
- Factors determining the success and failure of ehealth interventions: systematic review of the literature.J Med Internet Res. 2018; 20https://doi.org/10.2196/10235
- Beyond adoption: a new framework for theorizing and evaluating nonadoption, abandonment, and challenges to the scale-up, spread, and sustainability of health and care technologies.J Med Internet Res. 2017; 19https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.8775
- Contrast of digital and health literacy between IT and health care specialists highlights the importance of multidisciplinary teams for digital health—a pilot study.JCO Clin Cancer Informatics. 2021; 5: 734-745https://doi.org/10.1200/cci.21.00032
- A new practical decision rule to better differentiate BI-rads 3 or 4 breast masses on breast ultrasound.J Ultrasound Med. 2022; 41: 427-436https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.15722
☆An abstract reporting final results was presented as Spotlight presentation at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 2021 on December 9th, 5:00:00 AM - 6:30:00 PM, program number PD11-05.