- •High-risk smoldering presents a 50% progression risk to active myeloma at 2 years.
- •Early treatment has demonstrated to delay the progression to myeloma.
- •Rd confirms the sustained benefit in TTP and OS in high-risk smoldering.
- •Many trials are ongoing to support the role of early detection and intervention.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: e538-e548
- Criteria for the classification of monoclonal gammopathies, multiple myeloma and related disorders: a report of the International Myeloma Working Group.Br J Haematol. 2003; 121: 749-757
- Clinical course and prognosis of smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2582-2590
- Risk of progression in smouldering myeloma and monoclonal gammopathies of unknown significance: comparative analysis of the evolution of monoclonal component and multiparameter flow cytometry of bone marrow plasma cells.Br J Haematol. 2010; 148: 110-114
- Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone for high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 438-447
- Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone versus observation in patients with high-risk smouldering multiple myeloma (QuiRedex): long-term follow-up a randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 1127-1136
- International uniform response criteria for multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2006; 20: 1467-1473
- Changes in long term survival after diagnosis with common hematologic malignancies in the early 21st century.Blood Cancer J. 2020; 10: 56
- Randomized trial of lenalidomide versus observation in smoldering multiple myeloma.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 1126-1137
- International Myeloma Working Group risk stratification model for smoldering multiple myeloma (SMM).Blood Cancer J. 2020; 10: 102
- Circulating tumor cells (CTCs) in smoldering and active multiple myeloma (MM): mechanism of egression, clinical significance and therapeutic endpoints.Blood. 2021; 138: 76
- Genomic profiling of smoldering multiple myeloma identifies patients at a high risk of disease progression.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 2380-2389
- Treatment of high risk (HR) smoldering multiple myeloma (SMM) with carfilzomib, lenalidomide, and dexamethasone (KRd) followed by lenalidomide maintenance (–R): a phase 2 clinical and correlative study.Blood. 2020; 136: 43-45
- Phase II trial of the combination of ixazomib, lenalidomide, and dexamethasone in high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma.Blood. 2018; 132: 804-814
- Phase II trial of combination of elotuzumab, lenalidomide, and dexamethasone in high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma.Blood. 2018; 132: 154
- Daratumumab monotherapy for patients with intermediate-risk or high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma: a randomized, open-label, multicenter, phase 2 study (Centaurus).Leukemia. 2020; 34: 1840-1852
- A multicenter phase II single arm trial of isatuximab in patients with high risk smoldering multiple myeloma (HRSMM).Blood. 2019; 134: 3116
- Requirements for operational cure in multiple myeloma.Blood. 2021; 138: 1406-1411
- Curative strategy (GEM-CESAR) for high-risk smoldering myeloma (SMM): carfilzomib, lenalidomide and dexamethasone (KRd) as induction followed by HDT-ASCT, consolidation with Krd and maintenance with Rd.Blood. 2019; 134: 781
- Aggressive smoldering curative approach evaluating novel therapies (ASCENT): a phase 2 trial of induction, consolidation and maintenance in subjects with high risk smoldering multiple myeloma (SMM): initial analysis of safety data.Blood. 2020; 136: 35-36
☆Presented as abstract at the 25th European Hematology Association Congress in June 2020.