- •Immunotherapy is effective in advanced thymic carcinoma.
- •Immunochemotherapy was associated with better efficacy compared to immune checkpoint inhibitors monotherapy.
- •Immunochemotherapy as first line treatments may be a good treatment choice.
- •Liver or brain metastasis was a poor prognostic factor of mPFS in immune checkpoint inhibitors monotherapy.
Abbreviations:PD-1 (Anti-programmed death-1)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of thymoma and associated malignancies.J Thorac Oncol. 2010; 5: S260-S265https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181f1f62d
- Therapy for thymic epithelial tumors: a clinical study of 1,320 patients from Japan.Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 76: 878-884https://doi.org/10.1016/s0003-4975(03)00555-1
- Malignant thymoma in the United States: demographic patterns in incidence and associations with subsequent malignancies.Int J Cancer. 2003; 105: 546-551https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11099
- Trends in incidence and survival of patients with thymic epithelial tumor in a high-incidence Asian country: analysis of the Korean central cancer registry 1999 to 2017.J Thorac Oncol. 2022; 11 (0864(22)00091-0): S1556https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtho.2022.02.001
- Thymoma: inter-relationships among World Health Organization histology, Masaoka staging and myasthenia gravis and their independent prognostic significance: a single-centre experience.Eur J Cardio Thorac Surg. 2011; 40: 146-153https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2010.09.042
- J. Maxwell Chamberlain Memorial Paper. Role of staging in prognosis and management of thymoma.Ann Thorac Surg. 1991; 51: 888-892https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-4975(91)90999-7
- Key components of chemotherapy for thymic malignancies: a systematic review and pooled analysis for anthracycline-, carboplatin- or cisplatin-based chemotherapy.J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2015; 141: 323-331https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-014-1800-6
- Combination chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel for advanced thymic cancer.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2011; 41: 1013-1016https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyr089
- A multicenter phase II study of carboplatin and paclitaxel for advanced thymic carcinoma: WJOG4207L.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 363-368https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu541
- Efficacy of chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel for unresectable thymic carcinoma.Lung Cancer. 2010; 67: 194-197https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2009.03.031
- Phase II study of carboplatin and paclitaxel in advanced thymoma and thymic carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2060-2065https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.32.9607
- KEYNOTE-189 investigators. Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2078-2092https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1801005
- CheckMate 026 investigators. First-line nivolumab in stage IV or recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 2415-2426https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1613493
- Diffuse high intensity PD-L1 staining in thymic epithelial tumors.J Thorac Oncol. 2015; 10: 500-508https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0000000000000429
- Clinicopathologic and prognostic implications of programmed death ligand 1 expression in thymoma.Ann Thorac Surg. 2016; 101: 1361-1369https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.10.044
- Immune checkpoint inhibitors: the linchpins of modern immunotherapy.Immunol Rev. 2019; 290: 6-23https://doi.org/10.1111/imr.12766
- The evolving landscape of biomarkers for checkpoint inhibitor immunotherapy.Nat Rev Cancer. 2019; 19: 133-150https://doi.org/10.1038/s41568-019-0116-x
- The integrated genomic landscape of thymic epithelial tumors.Cancer Cell. 2018; 33 (e10): 244-258https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccell.2018.01.003
- Immunobiology of thymic epithelial tumors: implications for immunotherapy with immune checkpoint inhibitors.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 9056https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21239056
- Pembrolizumab for patients with refractory or relapsed thymic epithelial tumor: an open-label phase II trial.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 2162-2170https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.77.3184
- Pembrolizumab in patients with thymic carcinoma: a single-arm, single-centre, phase 2 study.Lancet Oncol. 2018; 19: 347-355https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30062-7
- Single-arm, multicentre, phase II trial of nivolumab for unresectable or recurrent thymic carcinoma: PRIMER study.Eur J Cancer. 2019; 113: 78-86https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2019.03.012
- Efficacy and tolerability of anti-programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) antibody (Avelumab) treatment in advanced thymoma.J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 269https://doi.org/10.1186/s40425-019-0723-9
- The effect and safety of anti-PD-1 single/combination therapy in refractory thymic carcinoma: a case-series study.Cancer Manag Res. 2020; 12: 11351-11358https://doi.org/10.2147/CMAR.S274830
- The role of immunotherapy for management of advanced thymic epithelial tumors: a narrative review.Mediastinum. 2021; 5: 23https://doi.org/10.21037/med-20-62