- •The ‘HOT’ score allows to identify immunologically active ‘hot’ tumours.
- •Patients with hot tumours treated by PD1/PD-L1 inhibitors had improved survival.
- •The immunologically ‘hot’ phenotype is stable between biopsy and surgical specimen.
- •The HOT score is a promising biomarker evaluable from real-life FFPE samples.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA A Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 394-424https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21492
- Nivolumab for recurrent squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1856-1867https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1602252
- Safety and clinical activity of pembrolizumab for treatment of recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (KEYNOTE-012): an open-label, multicentre, phase 1b trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 956-965https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(16)30066-3
- Pembrolizumab versus methotrexate, docetaxel, or cetuximab for recurrent or metastatic head-and-neck squamous cell carcinoma (KEYNOTE-040): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 study.Lancet. 2019; 393: 156-167https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31999-8
- Immunotherapy for head and neck cancer: recent advances and future directions.Oral Oncol. 2019; 99https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2019.104460
- Comprehensive genomic characterization of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas.Nature. 2015; 517: 576-582https://doi.org/10.1038/nature14129
- Immune landscape of viral- and carcinogen-driven head and neck cancer.Immunity. 2020; 52 (e9): 183-199https://doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2019.11.014
- Single-cell transcriptomic analysis of primary and metastatic tumor ecosystems in head and neck cancer.Cell. 2017; 171 (e24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2017.10.044): 1611-1624
- Immune biomarkers of response to immune-checkpoint inhibitors in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: 57-67https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy507
- Converting cold into hot tumors by combining immunotherapies.Cell. 2017; 170: 1055-1056https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2017.08.031
- Approaches to treat immune hot, altered and cold tumours with combination immunotherapies.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2019; 18: 197-218https://doi.org/10.1038/s41573-018-0007-y
- The immune landscape of cancer.Immunity. 2018; 48 (e14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2018.03.023): 812-830
- TCGA2STAT: simple TCGA data access for integrated statistical analysis in R.Bioinformatics. 2016; 32: 952-954https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btv677
- Spatial organization and molecular correlation of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes using deep learning on pathology images.Cell Rep. 2018; 23 (e7. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CELREP.2018.03.086): 181-193
- The immune microenvironment of HPV-negative oral squamous cell carcinoma from never-smokers and never-drinkers patients suggests higher clinical benefit of Ido1 and PD1/PD-L1 blockade.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdx210
- Hyperprogression and impact of tumor growth kinetics after PD1/PDL1 inhibition in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2020; 11: 1618-1628https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.27563
- An expression signature as an aid to the histologic classification of non-small cell lung cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 4880-4889https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-15-2900
- A 13-gene signature prognostic of HPV-negative OSCC: discovery and external validation.Clin Cancer Res. 2013; 19: 1197-1203https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-12-2647
- Orchestrating high-throughput genomic analysis with Bioconductor.Nat Methods. 2015; 12: 115-121https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.3252
- GSVA: gene set variation analysis for microarray and RNA-Seq data.BMC Bioinf. 2013; 14https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-14-7
- Immune checkpoint pathways in immunotherapy for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Int J Oral Sci. 2020; 12: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1038/s41368-020-0084-8
- Head and neck squamous cell carcinomas are characterized by a stable immune signature within the primary tumor over time and space.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 7641-7649https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-0373
- Neoadjuvant nivolumab or nivolumab plus ipilimumab in untreated oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma: a phase 2 open-label randomized clinical trial.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 1563-1570https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2020.2955
- Phase II multi-site investigation of neoadjuvant pembrolizumab and adjuvant concurrent radiation and pembrolizumab with or without cisplatin in resected head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 6017https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2018.36.15_suppl.6017
- Checkpoint inhibitors assessment in oropharynx cancer (CIAO): safety and interim results.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 6008https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2019.37.15_suppl.6008
- TPF induction chemotherapy increases PD-L1 expression in tumour cells and immune cells in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.ESMO Open. 2018; 3https://doi.org/10.1136/esmoopen-2017-000257
- Role of epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor-induced interferon pathway signaling in the head and neck squamous cell carcinoma therapeutic response.J Transl Med. 2021; 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-021-02706-8
- Tumor-specific antibody, cetuximab, enhances the in situ vaccine effect of radiation in immunologically cold head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Front Immunol. 2020; 11https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2020.591139
- Oncogenic roles of EMT-inducing transcription factors.Nat Cell Biol. 2014; 16: 488-494https://doi.org/10.1038/ncb2976
- Multiomic profiling of checkpoint inhibitor-treated melanoma: identifying predictors of response and resistance, and markers of biological discordance.Cancer Cell. 2022; 40 (e7. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.CCELL.2021.11.012): 88-102
- Standardized assessment of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in breast cancer: an evaluation of inter-observer agreement between pathologists.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2018; 57: 90-94https://doi.org/10.1080/0284186X.2017.1403040
- Establishing guidelines to harmonize tumor mutational burden (TMB): in silico assessment of variation in TMB quantification across diagnostic platforms: phase I of the Friends of Cancer Research TMB Harmonization Project.J Immunother Cancer. 2020; 8https://doi.org/10.1136/jitc-2019-000147
- High tumor mutation burden fails to predict immune checkpoint blockade response across all cancer types.Ann Oncol. 2021; 32: 661-672https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annonc.2021.02.006
- Defining an inflamed tumor immunophenotype in recurrent, metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Oral Oncol. 2017; 67: 61-69https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2017.02.005
- Exploration, normalization, and summaries of high density oligonucleotide array probe level data.Biostatistics. 2003; 4: 249-264https://doi.org/10.1093/biostatistics/4.2.249