- •The role of altered DNA damage repair pathways in BTC setting is already unknown.
- •We conducted a retrospective analysis on BTC patients treated with platinum salts.
- •BRCAness phenotype is an independent favourable prognostic factor for PFS.
- •BRCAness BTC patients seem to be more sensitive to platinum compounds.
- •Sequential strategies of platinum salts and PARP inhibitors should be tested.
Background and Aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Gallbladder and biliary tract carcinoma: a comprehensive update, Part 1.Oncology (Williston Park). 2004; 18: 889-896
- Epidemiology and risk factors of biliary tract and primary liver tumors.Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2014; 23: 171-188
- Intrahepatic holangiocarcinoma.Surg Clin North Am. 2010; 90: 817-837
- Modern diagnostic approaches to cholangiocarcinoma.Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2012; 11: 349-359
- Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: a worthy challenge.Cancer J. 2009; 15: 255-256
- ABC-02 Trial Investigators. Cisplatin plus gemcitabine versus gemcitabine for biliary tract cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1273-1281
- Howlader N. Noone A.M. Krapcho M. SEER cancer statistics review, 1975–2013. National Cancer Institute,
Bethesda, MDApril 2016 (Based on November 2015 SEER Data Submission, Posted to the SEER Web Site. Available online:)http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2013/Date accessed: December 10, 2016
- New routes to targeted therapy of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinomas revealed by next-generation sequencing.Oncologist. 2014; 19: 235-242
- Genomic spectra of biliary tract cancer.Nat Genet. 2015; 47: 1003-1010
- Mutation profiling in cholangiocarcinoma: prognostic and therapeutic implications.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e115383
- Genomic scars as biomarkers of homologous recombination deficiency and drug response in breast and ovarian cancers.Breast Cancer Res. 2014; 16: 211
- Hallmarks of ‘BRCAness’ in sporadic cancers.Nat Rev Cancer. 2004; 4: 814e9
- ‘BRCAness’ and its implications for platinum action in gynecologic cancer.Anticancer Res. 2014; 34: 551-556
- Specific killing of BRCA2- deficient tumours with inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase.Nature. 2005; 434: 913-917
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations sensitize to chemotherapy in patient-derived pancreatic cancer xenografts.Br J Cancer. 2015; 113: 425-432https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2015.220
- Dramatic response of FOLFIRINOX regimen in a collision pancreatic adenocarcinoma patient with a germline BRCA2 mutation: a case report.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2019; 49: 1049-1054https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyz141
- Complete remission, in BRCA2 mutation carrier with metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma, treated with cisplatin based therapy.Cancer Biol Ther. 2011; 12: 165-168https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.12.3.16292.51
- Platinum response characteristics of patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and a germline BRCA1, BRCA2 or PALB2 mutation.Br J Cancer. 2020; 122: 333-339https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-019-0582-7.55
- Overall survival and clinical characteristics of pancreatic cancer in BRCA mutation carriers.Br J Cancer. 2014; 111: 1132-1138https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2014.418
- Retrospective survival analysis of patients with advanced pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and germline BRCA or PALB2 mutations.JCO Precis Oncol. 2018; 2: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1200/PO.17.00152
- Retrospective survival analysis of patients with resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and a germline BRCA or PALB2 mutation.JCO Precis Oncol. 2019; 3: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1200/PO.18.00271
- Response rate following albumin-bound paclitaxel plus gemcitabine plus cisplatin treatment among patients with advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase 1b/2 Pilot clinical trial.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 6: 125-132
- Randomized, multicenter, phase II trial of gemcitabine and cisplatin with or without veliparib in patients with pancreas adenocarcinoma and a germline BRCA/PALB2 mutation.J Clin Oncol. 2020; : JCO1902931https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19.02931
- A subset of platinum-containing chemotherapeutic agents kills cells by inducing ribosome biogenesis stress.Nat Med. 2017; 23: 461-471https://doi.org/10.1038/nm.4291
- Maintenance olaparib for germline BRCA-mutated metastatic pancreatic cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 317-327
- Molecular profile of BRCA-mutated biliary tract cancers.ESMO Open. 2020; 5: e000682
- Anti-EGFR monoclonal antibodies in advanced biliary tract cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.In Vivo. 2020; 34: 479-488
- Genetic epidemiology of ovarian cancer and prospects for polygenic risk prediction.Gynecol Oncol. 2017; 147 (18): 705-713
- Targeting genetic and epigenetic alterations in the treatment of serous ovarian cancer.Cancer Genet. 2011; 204: 525-535
- DNA damage repair as a target in pancreatic cancer: state-of-the-art and future perspectives.Gut. 2021 Mar; 70 (Epub 2020 Aug 27. PMID: 32855305; PMCID: PMC7873425): 606-617https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2019-319984
- Neoadjuvant therapy with cisplatin in BRCA1-positive breast cancer patients.Heredit Cancer Clin Pract. 2011; 9: A4
- Efficacy of neoadjuvant cisplatin in triple-negative breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1145-1153
- Efficacy of platinum-based chemotherapy and prognosis of patients with pancreatic cancer with homologous recombination deficiency: comparative analysis of published clinical studies.ESMO Open. 2020; 5 (Epub 2020 Sep 30. PMID: 33551067; PMCID: PMC7003386): e000578https://doi.org/10.1136/esmoopen-2019-000578
- Overall survival and clinical characteristics of BRCA-associated cholangiocarcinoma: a multicenter retrospective study.Oncologist. 2017 Jul; 22 (Epub 2017 May 9. PMID: 28487467; PMCID: PMC5507643): 804-810https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2016-0415
- Therapeutic relevance of targeted sequencing in management of patients with advanced biliary tract cancer: DNA damage repair gene mutations as a predictive biomarker.Eur J Cancer. 2019; 120: 31-39
- Effectiveness of olaparib treatment in a patient with gallbladder cancer with an ATM-inactivating mutation.Oncologist. 2020 May; 25: 375-379
- Treatment with olaparib monotherapy for BRCA2-mutated refractory intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: a case report.Onco Targets Ther. 2018; 11: 5957-5962
- Response of BRCA1-mutated gallbladder cancer to olaparib: a case report.World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec 14; 22: 10254-10259
- Investigational PARP inhibitors for the treatment of biliary tract cancer: spotlight on preclinical and clinical studies.Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2021 Apr; 30 (Epub 2021 Mar 24. PMID: 33660569): 451-461https://doi.org/10.1080/13543784.2021.1898586
- Genomic profiling of biliary tract cancers and implications for clinical practice.Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2016; 17: 58
- Targeting DNA damage repair mechanisms in pancreas cancer.Cancers. 2021; 13 (Published: 24 August 2021): 4259https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers13174259
- Molecular pathogenesis and targeted therapies for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 291-300
- Alterations in DNA damage repair genes in primary liver cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Aug 1; 25 (Epub 2019 May 8. PMID: 31068370): 4701-4711https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-19-0127
- Biomarkers for homologous recombination deficiency in cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018; 110: 704-713
- Rucaparib in relapsed, platinum-sensitive high-grade ovarian carcinoma (ARIEL2 Part 1): an international, multicentre, open-label, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 75-87
- Rucaparib maintenance treatment for recurrent ovarian carcinoma after response to platinum therapy (ARIEL3): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2017; 390: 1949-1961
- Preliminary results from TRITON2: a phase II study of rucaparib in patients (pts) with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) associated with homologous recombination repair (HRR) gene alterations.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: i272
- DNA-repair defects and olaparib in metastatic prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1697-1708
Smith MR, Sandhu SK, Kelly WK, et al: Phase II study of niraparib in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) and biallelic DNA-repair gene defects (DRD): Preliminary results of GALAHAD. J Clin Oncol 37, no. 7_suppl (March 01, 2019) 202-202.
- Pan-cancer analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 genomic alterations and their association with genomic instability as measured by genome-wide loss of heterozygosity.JCO Precis Oncol. 2020; 4 (Epub 2020 Apr 30. PMID: 32903788; PMCID: PMC7446440): 442-465https://doi.org/10.1200/po.19.00345