- •A multi-class CNN was developed using 25,773 clinical images.
- •An MRMC study was conducted to evaluate performance of CNN-assisted dermatologists.
- •CNN-assisted dermatologists achieved a higher accuracy and kappa than unassisted.
- •Dermatologists with less experience benefited more from CNN assistance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- Deep convolutional neural networks for image classification: a comprehensive review.Neural Comput. 2017; 29: 2352-2449
- The practical implementation of artificial intelligence technologies in medicine.Nat Med. 2019; 25: 30-36
- A guide to deep learning in healthcare.Nat Med. 2019; 25: 24-29
- Keratinocytic skin cancer detection on the face using region-based convolutional neural network.JAMA Dermatol. 2020; 156: 29-37
- Man against machine: diagnostic performance of a deep learning convolutional neural network for dermoscopic melanoma recognition in comparison to 58 dermatologists.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: 1836-1842
- Classification of the clinical images for benign and malignant cutaneous tumors using a deep learning algorithm.J Invest Dermatol. 2018; 138: 1529-1538
- Artificial intelligence in dermatology: a primer.J Invest Dermatol. 2020; 140: 1504-1512
- Deep-learning-based, computer-aided classifier developed with a small dataset of clinical images surpasses board-certified dermatologists in skin tumour diagnosis.Br J Dermatol. 2019; 180: 373-381
- Comparison of the accuracy of human readers versus machine-learning algorithms for pigmented skin lesion classification: an open, web-based, international, diagnostic study.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 938-947
- A convolutional neural network trained with dermoscopic images performed on par with 145 dermatologists in a clinical melanoma image classification task.Eur J Cancer. 2019; 111: 148-154
- A deep learning system for differential diagnosis of skin diseases.Nat Med. 2020; 26: 900-908
- High-performance medicine: the convergence of human and artificial intelligence.Nat Med. 2019; 25: 44-56
- Human-computer collaboration for skin cancer recognition.Nat Med. 2020; 26: 1229-1234
- Augmented intelligence dermatology: deep neural networks empower medical professionals in diagnosing skin cancer and predicting treatment options for 134 skin disorders.J Invest Dermatol. 2020; 140: 1753-1761
- Superior skin cancer classification by the combination of human and artificial intelligence.Eur J Cancer. 2019; 120: 114-121
- Artificial intelligence and its effect on dermatologists' accuracy in dermoscopic melanoma image classification: web-based survey study.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22e18091
- Augmented decision-making for acral lentiginous melanoma detection using deep convolutional neural networks.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34: 1842-1850
Clinical Performance Assessment: Considerations for Computer-Assisted Detection Devices Applied to Radiology Images and Radiology Device Data in-Premarket Notification (510(k)) https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/clinical-performance-assessment-considerations-computer-assisted-detection-devices-applied-radiology.
- Statistical methods for evidence-based medicine: the diagnostic test. Part I.Minerva Anestesiol. 2008; 74: 431-437
- Statistical methods in diagnostic medicine.in: Biometrics. vol. 59. Wiley, New York2002: 203-204 (2015)
- What's the control in studies measuring the effect of computer-aided detection (CAD) on observer performance?.Acad Radiol. 2010; 17: 761-767
- Epidemiology of skin cancer: update 2019.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2020; 1268: 123-139
- A systematic review of worldwide incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancer.Br J Dermatol. 2012; 166: 1069-1080
- Colorectal cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2017; 67 (2017): 177-193
- Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States, 2006.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 146: 283-287
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 394-424
- Shades of gray and colour constancy. Color and imaging conference.2004
- Image analysis and machine learning in digital pathology: challenges and opportunities.Med Image Anal. 2016; 33: 170-175
- An unsupervised feature learning framework for basal cell carcinoma image analysis.Artif Intell Med. 2015; 64: 131-145
- Computer aided diagnostic support system for skin cancer: a review of techniques and algorithms.Int J Biomed Imag. 2013; 2013: 323268
- Dermatologist-level classification of skin cancer with deep neural networks.Nature. 2017; 542: 115-118
- Artificial intelligence: learning to play Go from scratch.Nature. 2017; 550: 336-337
- Deep echocardiography: data-efficient supervised and semi-supervised deep learning towards automated diagnosis of cardiac disease.NPJ Digit Med. 2018; 1: 59
- Mastering the game of Go with deep neural networks and tree search.Nature. 2016; 529: 484-489
- Artificial intelligence versus clinicians: systematic review of design, reporting standards, and claims of deep learning studies.BMJ. 2020; 368: m689
- The incidence and body site of skin cancers in the population groups of Astana.Kazakhstan. Health Sci Rep. 2018; 1: e51
- Skin cancer in asians: part 1: nonmelanoma skin cancer.J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2009; 2: 39-42
- Cancer risks in Nairobi (2000-2014) by ethnic group.Int J Cancer. 2017; 140: 788-797
- Basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and cutaneous melanoma in skin of color patients.Dermatol Clin. 2019; 37: 519-526
- Clinical presentations of melanoma in African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians.Dermatol Surg. 2019; 45: 791-801