- •Ewing sarcoma is a malignant bone tumour with a predilection for young people.
- •Refractory or recurrent disease has a dismal prognosis.
- •High-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem-cell transplant may prolong survival.
- •Risk stratification at relapse may aid clinical decision-making.
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Primary disseminated multifocal ewing sarcoma: results of the euro-EWING 99 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 3284-3291
- Prognostic factors for patients with ewing sarcoma (EWS) at first recurrence following multimodality therapy – a report from the children’s oncology group.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008; 51: 334-338
- Risk of recurrence and survival after relapse in patients with Ewing sarcoma.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011; 57: 549-553
- Irinotecan and temozolomide in recurrent Ewing sarcoma: an analysis in 51 adult and pediatric patients.Acta Oncol. 2018 Jul; 57 (Epub 2018 Mar 13. PMID: 29533113): 958-964https://doi.org/10.1080/0284186X.2018.1449250
- A study of docetaxel and irinotecan in children and young adults with recurrent or refractory Ewing sarcoma family of tumors.BMC Cancer. 2014 Aug 28; 14 (PMID: 25164234; PMCID: PMC4155244): 622https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-622
- Vincristine, irinotecan, and temozolomide in patients with relapsed and refractory Ewing sarcoma.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013 Oct; 60 (Epub 2013 Jun 15. PMID: 23776128): 1621-1625https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24621
- A modified protocol with vincristine, topotecan, and cyclophosphamide for recurrent/progressive ewing sarcoma family tumors.Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2013 Apr; 30 (PMID: 23484903): 170-177https://doi.org/10.3109/08880018.2013.767868
EuroEwingConsortium rEECur - International Randomised controlled trial of chemotherapy for the treatment of recurrent and primary refractory Ewing sarcoma. McCabe M. Results of the second interim assessment of rEECur, an international randomized controlled trial of chemotherapy for the treatment of recurrent and primary refractory Ewing sarcoma (RR-ES), J Clin Oncol. 38. 11502–11502. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2020.38.15 suppl.11502, no. 15 suppl (May 20, 2020).
- High-dose chemotherapy and blood autologous stem-cell rescue compared with standard chemotherapy in localized high-risk ewing sarcoma: results of euro-E.W.I.N.G.99 and ewing-2008.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36 (JCO2018782516 Epub ahead of print)
- High-dose chemotherapy compared with standard chemotherapy and lung radiation in ewing sarcoma with pulmonary metastases: results of the European ewing tumour working initiative of national groups, 99 trial and EWING 2008.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 3192-3202
- High dose chemotherapy with bone marrow or peripheral stem cell rescue is an effective treatment option for patients with relapsed or progressive Ewing’s sarcoma family of tumours.Ann Oncol. 2006; 17: 1301-1305
- Improving outcomes after relapse in Ewing’s sarcoma: analysis of 114 patients from a single institution.Sarcoma, 2006: 83548
- Role of high-dose chemotherapy and autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation for children and young adults with relapsed Ewing’s sarcoma: a systematic review.Sarcoma, 2018 (Article ID 2640674))
- The value of high-dose chemotherapy in patients with first relapsed Ewing sarcoma.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014; 61: 1382-1386
- Extraskeletal ewing sarcoma: diagnosis, management and prognosis (review).Oncol Lett. 2021; 21: 354
- A SEER-based nomogram accurately predicts prognosis in Ewing’s sarcoma.Sci Rep. 2021 Nov 22; 11: 22723https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-02134-0
- Post-relapse survival in patients with Ewing sarcoma.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2015; 62: 994-999
- Therapy and survival after recurrence of Ewing’s tumors: the Rizzoli experience in 195 patients treated with adjuvant and neoadjuvant chemotherapy from 1979 to 1997.Ann Oncol. 2003; 14: 1654-1659
- Long-term follow-up of high-dose chemotherapy with autologous stem cell transplantation in children and young adults with metastatic or relapsed ewing sarcoma: a single-institution experience.Transplant Cell Ther. 2021; 27 (:72.e1-72.e7)
- Survival after recurrence of Ewing’s Sarcoma family of tumors.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 4354-4362
- Prognostic factors in metastatic rhabdomyosarcomas: results of a pooled analysis from United States and European cooperative groups.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 2384-2389