- •The immune contexture of paediatric tumours remains unknown compared with adult cancers.
- •No PD-L1 expression was found on cancer and immune cells of 5 major paediatric cancers.
- •CD163, CSF1R and CD68 myeloid cells were abundant in all tumours except Ewing sarcoma.
- •Some tumours have high levels of infiltrating T-cells but lack efficient activation.
- •Biologically stratified immunotherapy strategies are needed for paediatric oncology.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in clinical development for PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2020; : 19 163-164
- PD-Loma: a cancer entity with a shared sensitivity to the PD-1/PD-L1 pathway blockade.Br J Cancer. 2019; 120: 3-5
- The immune environment of paediatric solid malignancies: evidence from an immunohistochemical study of clinical cases.Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2013; 32: 298-307
- Pediatric cancers are infiltrated predominantly by macrophages and contain a paucity of dendritic cells: a major nosologic difference with adult tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2006; 12: 2049-2054
- MPDL3280A (anti-PD-L1) treatment leads to clinical activity in metastatic bladder cancer.Nature. 2014; 515: 558-562
- NanoStringNorm: an extensible R package for the pre-processing of NanoString mRNA and miRNA data.Bioinformatics. 2012; 28: 1546-1548
- A Bioconductor package for differential expression analysis of digital gene expression data.Bioinformatics. 2010; 26: 139-140
- voom: precision weights unlock linear model analysis tools for RNA-seq read counts.Genome Biol. 2014; 15: R29
- Clinical significance of tumor-associated inflammatory cells in metastatic neuroblastoma.J Clin Oncol. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.40.9169
- Macrophage infiltration predicts a poor prognosis for human ewing sarcoma.Am J Pathol. 2011; 179: 1157-1170
- Tumor-infiltrating macrophages are associated with metastasis suppression in high-grade osteosarcoma: a rationale for treatment with macrophage activating agents.Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 2110-2119
- Immune cell infiltration of intrinsic and metastatic intracranial tumours.Anticancer Res. 2004; 24: 37-42
- Atezolizumab for children and young adults with previously treated solid tumours, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and Hodgkin lymphoma (iMATRIX): a multicentre phase 1–2 study.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: 134-144
- Phase I clinical trial of ipilimumab in pediatric patients with advanced solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-15-0491
- Pembrolizumab in paediatric patients with advanced melanoma or a PD-L1-positive, advanced, relapsed, or refractory solid tumour or lymphoma (KEYNOTE-051): interim analysis of an open-label, single-arm, phase 1-2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: 121-133
- Molecular pathways: next-generation immunotherapy--inhibiting programmed death-ligand 1 and programmed death-1.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 6580-6587
- Macrophages as mediators of tumor immunosurveillance.Trends Immunol. 2010; 31: 212-219
- B7-H1 expression in Wilms tumor: correlation with tumor biology and disease recurrence.J Urol. 1954; 179 (–9; discussion 1959-60 (2008))
- Characterization of the immune microenvironment of diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma: implications for development of immunotherapy.Neuro Oncol. 2019; 21: 83-94
- Expression and clinical association of programmed cell death-1, programmed death-ligand-1 and CD8(+) lymphocytes in primary sarcomas is subtype dependent.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 71371-71384
- Expression of PD-1/PD-L1 in children's classical Hodgkin lymphomas.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019; 66e27571
- Programmed death ligand 1 is expressed by non-hodgkin lymphomas and inhibits the activity of tumor-associated T cells.Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 4232-4244
- Low frequency of programmed death ligand 1 expression in pediatric cancers.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2016; 63: 1461-1464
- Tumor infiltrating PD1-positive lymphocytes and the expression of PD-L1 predict poor prognosis of soft tissue sarcomas.PLoS One. 2013; 8
- PD-L1 and CD8+PD1+ lymphocytes exist as targets in the pediatric tumor microenvironment for immunomodulatory therapy.OncoImmunology. 2015; 4e1029701
- Characterization of distinct immunophenotypes across pediatric brain tumor types.J Immunol. 2013; 191: 4880-4888
- A high proportion of bone marrow T cells with regulatory phenotype (CD4+CD25hiFoxP3+) in Ewing sarcoma patients is associated with metastatic disease.Int J cancer. 2009; 125: 879-886
- Early lymphocyte recovery as a prognostic indicator for high-risk Ewing sarcoma.J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2007; 29: 48-52
- Early lymphocyte recovery in Ewing sarcoma .J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2007; 29: 351-352
- Immunogenic cell death in cancer and infectious disease.Nat Rev Immunol. 2017; 17: 97-111
- Measuring multiple parameters of CD8+ tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in human cancers by image analysis.J Immunother cancer. 2018; 6: 20
- Pattern recognition receptors: immune targets to enhance cancer immunotherapy.Ann Oncol Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol. 2017; 28: 1756-1766