- •Cancer survivors are at risk for premature coronary artery disease (CAD).
- •Especially survivors treated with radiotherapy exposing the heart.
- •This guideline provides recommendations for CAD surveillance.
- •Early monitoring and management of modifiable risk factors is recommended.
- •Key knowledge gaps regarding CAD in cancer survivors require further investigation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Survival of European children and young adults with cancer diagnosed 1995-2002.Eur J Canc. 2009; 45: 992-1005https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.042
Noone AM, Howlader N, Krapcho M, Miller D, Brest A, Yu M, et al. SEER cancer statistics review, 1975-2015, National Cancer Institute. https://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2015/[accessed February 13, 2019].
- Medical assessment of adverse health outcomes in long-term survivors of childhood cancer.JAMA. 2007; 297: 2705-2715https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.24.2705
- Reduction in late mortality among 5-year survivors of childhood cancer.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 833-842https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1510795
- Coronary artery disease detected by coronary computed tomography angiography in adult survivors of childhood Hodgkin lymphoma.Cancer. 2014; 120: 3536-3544https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28925
- Blood pressure is associated with occult cardiovascular disease in prospectively studied Hodgkin lymphoma survivors after chest radiation.Leuk Lymphoma. 2014; 55: 2477-2483https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2013.879716
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging findings in 20-year survivors of mediastinal radiotherapy for Hodgkin's disease.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 1117-1123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2009.12.054
- Evaluation of long-term toxicity in patients after cisplatin-based chemotherapy for non-seminomatous testicular cancer.Ann Oncol. 2002; 13: 229-236https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdf058
Children’s Oncology Group. Long-term follow-up guidelines for survivors of childhood, adolescent and young adult cancers. Version 4.0–October 2013. http://www.survivorshipguidelines.org/pdf/LTFUGuidelines_40.pdf [accessed July 9, 2015].
- Guidelines for follow-up in survivors of childhood cancer 5 years after diagnosis.Engl Transl. 2014;https://www.skion.nl/workspace/uploads/vertaling-richtlijn-LATER-versie-final-okt-2014_2.pdfDate accessed: July 9, 2015
- SIGN 132 Long term follow up of survivors of childhood cancer. A national clinical guideline.2013https://www.sign.ac.uk/assets/sign132.pdfDate accessed: July 9, 2015
- United Kingdom Children's cancer study group late effects group. Therapy based long term follow up. Practice statement.2005http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/Downloads/pdf/CancerPbTherapyBasedLongTermFollowUp.pdfDate accessed: July 5, 2015
- A worldwide collaboration to harmonize guidelines for the long-term follow-up of childhood and young adult cancer survivors: a report from the International Late Effects of Childhood Cancer Guideline Harmonization Group.Pediatr Blood Canc. 2013; 60: 543-549https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24445
- Modifiable risk factors and major cardiac events among adult survivors of childhood cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 3673-3680https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.49.3205
- Cardiac function, perfusion, and morbidity in irradiated long-term survivors of Hodgkin's disease.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997; 39: 897-906https://doi.org/10.1016/s0360-3016(97)00467-7
- Clinically significant cardiac disease in patients with Hodgkin lymphoma treated with mediastinal irradiation.Blood. 2011; 117: 412-418https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2010-06-291328
- Late cardiac effects after mantle radiotherapy in patients with Hodgkin's disease.Ann Oncol. 1990; 1: 355-363https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.annonc.a057774
- Cardiac disease following treatment of Hodgkin's disease in children and adolescents.J Clin Oncol. 1993; 11: 1208-1215https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.1922.214.171.1248
- Factors affecting late mortality from heart disease after treatment of Hodgkin's disease.JAMA. 1993; 270: 1949-1955
- Valvular dysfunction and carotid, subclavian, and coronary artery disease in survivors of hodgkin lymphoma treated with radiation therapy.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2831-2837https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.21.2831
- Symptomatic coronary artery disease after mantle irradiation for Hodgkin's disease.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1996; 36: 881-889https://doi.org/10.1016/s0360-3016(96)00295-7
- Evaluation of coronary artery disease by computed tomography angiography in patients treated for childhood Hodgkin's lymphoma.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1025-1030https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.25.2627
- Cardiac outcomes in adult survivors of childhood cancer exposed to cardiotoxic therapy: a cross-sectional study.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 164: 93-101https://doi.org/10.7326/M15-0424
- Cardiac outcomes in a cohort of adult survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer: retrospective analysis of the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort.BMJ. 2009; 339: b4606https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b4606
- Ischemic heart disease after mantlefield irradiation for Hodgkin's disease in long-term follow-up.Radiother Oncol. 1999; 51: 35-42https://doi.org/10.1016/s0167-8140(99)00026-2
- Late valvular and other cardiac diseases after different doses of mediastinal radiotherapy for Hodgkin disease in children and adolescents: report from the longitudinal GPOH follow-up project of the German-Austrian DAL-HD studies.Pediatr Blood Canc. 2010; 55: 1145-1152https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.22664
- Long-term risk of cardiovascular disease in 5-year survivors of testicular cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 467-475https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2005.02.7193
- Cardiovascular status in long-term survivors of Hodgkin's disease treated with chest radiotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 3139-3148https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.09.109
- Late cardiotoxicity after treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma.Blood. 2007; 109: 1878-1886https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2006-07-034405
- Late mortality among 5-year survivors of childhood cancer: a summary from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 2328-2338https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.21.1425
- Morbidity and mortality in long-term survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma: a report from the childhood cancer survivor study.Blood. 2011; 117: 1806-1816https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2010-04-278796
- Population-based long-term cardiac-specific mortality among 34 489 five-year survivors of childhood cancer in Great Britain.Circulation. 2017; 135: 951-963https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.024811
- Cancer and cardiac mortality among 15-year survivors of cancer diagnosed during childhood or adolescence.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 3207-3215https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.19907
- Cardiac diseases following childhood cancer treatment: cohort study.Circulation. 2016; 133: 31-38https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.115.016686
- Increased mortality after successful treatment for Hodgkin's disease.J Clin Oncol. 1998; 16: 3592-3600https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.5292
- Clinical and subclinical cardiac late effects in pediatric Hodgkin's lymphoma survivors.Tumori. 2017; 103: 566-571https://doi.org/10.5301/tj.5000670
- Long-term survival in Hodgkin's disease relative impact of mortality, second tumors, infection, and cardiovascular disease.Canc J Sci Am. 1995; 1: 33-42
- Chronic health conditions in adult survivors of childhood cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1572-1582https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa060185
- High risk of symptomatic cardiac events in childhood cancer survivors.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1429-1437https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.33.4730
- Major cardiac events for adult survivors of childhood cancer diagnosed between 1970 and 1999: report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort.BMJ. 2020; 368: l6794https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l6794
- Increased risk of cardiac ischaemia in a pan-European cohort of 36 205 childhood cancer survivors: a PanCareSurFup study.Heart. 2021; 107: 33-40https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2020-316655
- Prediction of ischemic heart disease and stroke in survivors of childhood cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 44-52https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.74.8673
- Cardiovascular disease and risk management: review of the American diabetes association standards of medical care in diabetes 2018.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 168: 640-650https://doi.org/10.7326/m18-0222
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg71/chapter/Recommendations#ongoing-assessment-and-monitoring [accessed August 8, 2019].
Multidisciplinaire richtlijn Cardiovasculair risicomanagement, herziening 2011.
- 2016 European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: the sixth joint task force of the European Society of Cardiology and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (constituted by representatives of 10 societies and by invited experts)Developed with the special contribution of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (EACPR).Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2315-2381https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw106
- Coronary artery calcium for the prediction of mortality in young adults <45 years old and elderly adults >75 years old.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 2955-2962https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehs230
- Predictive value of coronary artery calcium score categories for coronary events versus strokes: impact of sex and race: MESA and DHS.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2020; 13e010153https://doi.org/10.1161/circimaging.119.010153
- Cardiovascular risk assessment: a systematic review of guidelines.Ann Intern Med. 2016; 165: 713-722https://doi.org/10.7326/M16-1110
- Prediction models for cardiovascular disease risk in the general population: systematic review.BMJ. 2016; 353: i2416https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i2416
- Lifetime risks of cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 321-329https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1012848
- Lifetime risk and years lived free of total cardiovascular disease.JAMA. 2012; 308: 1795-1801https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.14312
- Blood pressure status in adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the St. Jude lifetime cohort study.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2017; 26: 1705-1713https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-17-0510
- 2016 ESC position paper on cancer treatments and cardiovascular toxicity developed under the auspices of the ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines: the Task Force for cancer treatments and cardiovascular toxicity of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2768-2801https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw211