- •Pembrolizumab + eribulin showed clinical benefit in luminal metastatic breast cancer (BC).
- •Objective responses were achieved regardless of programmed death ligand 1 status.
- •Its safety profile is similar to eribulin or pembrolizumab monotherapy.
- •New predictive biomarkers are required in endocrine-resistant BC.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- Safety and antitumor activity of pembrolizumab in patients with estrogen receptor-positive/human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative advanced breast cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2018; 24: 2804-2811https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-3452
- Advances in the treatment of advanced oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer.Lancet. 2017; 389: 2403-2414https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32419-9
- Annual hazard rates of recurrence for breast cancer during 24 Years of follow-up: results from the International breast cancer study group trials I to V.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 927-935https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2015.62.3504
- Eribulin monotherapy versus treatment of physician's choice in patients with metastatic breast cancer (EMBRACE): a phase 3 open-label randomised study.Lancet. 2011; 377: 914-923https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60070-6
- Phase III open-label randomized study of eribulin mesylate versus capecitabine in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer previously treated with an anthracycline and a taxane.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 594-601https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.52.4892
- Activation of the PD-1/PD-L1 immune checkpoint confers tumor cell chemoresistance associated with increased metastasis.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 10557-10567https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.7235
- Checkpoint blockade in the treatment of breast cancer: current status and future directions.Br J Cancer. 2018; 119: 4-11https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-018-0126-6
- Pembrolizumab in patients with advanced triple-negative breast cancer: phase Ib KEYNOTE-012 study.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 2460-2467https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2015.64.8931
- Pembrolizumab monotherapy for previously untreated, PD-L1-positive, metastatic triple-negative breast cancer: cohort B of the phase II KEYNOTE-086 study.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: 405-411https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy518
- Pembrolizumab monotherapy for previously treated metastatic triple-negative breast cancer: cohort A of the phase II KEYNOTE-086 study.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: 397-404https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy517
- LBA21 - KEYNOTE-119: phase III study of pembrolizumab (pembro) versus single-agent chemotherapy (chemo) for metastatic triple negative breast cancer (mTNBC).Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: v859-v860https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdz394.010
- Atezolizumab and nab-paclitaxel in advanced triple-negative breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2108-2121https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1809615
- Atezolizumab plus nab-paclitaxel as first-line treatment for unresectable, locally advanced or metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (IMpassion130): updated efficacy results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: 44-59https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30689-8
- Pembrolizumab plus chemotherapy versus placebo plus chemotherapy for previously untreated locally recurrent inoperable or metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (KEYNOTE-355): a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind, phase 3 clinical trial.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1817-1828https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32531-9
- FDA grants accelerated approval to pembrolizumab for locally recurrent unresectable or metastatic triple negative breast cancer.FDA, 2020
- Effect of pembrolizumab plus neoadjuvant chemotherapy on pathologic complete response in women with early-stage breast cancer: an analysis of the ongoing phase 2 adaptively randomized I-SPY2 trial.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 676-684https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2019.6650
- Avelumab, an anti-PD-L1 antibody, in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer: a phase 1b JAVELIN Solid Tumor study.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 167: 671-686https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-017-4537-5
KEYTRUDA 25 mg/mL concentrate for solution for infusion - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) n.d. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/2498/smpc#gref (accessed December 29, 2020).
- Immuno-oncology clinical trial design: limitations, challenges, and opportunities.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 4992-5002https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-16-3066
- iRECIST: guidelines for response criteria for use in trials testing immunotherapeutics.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: e143-e152https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30074-8
- Prognostic value of neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio for breast cancer patients: an updated meta-analysis of 17079 individuals.Cancer Med. 2019; 8: 4135-4148https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.2281
- High absolute lymphocyte counts are associated with longer overall survival in patients with metastatic breast cancer treated with eribulin-but not with treatment of physician's choice-in the EMBRACE study.Breast Cancer. 2020; 27: 706-715https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-020-01067-2
- Effect of eribulin with or without pembrolizumab on progression-free survival for patients with hormone receptor–positive, ERBB2-negative metastatic breast cancer: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Oncology. 2020; 6: 1598-1605https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2020.3524
☆The data were presented in part as a poster presentation entitled ‘A phase II study of pembrolizumab and eribulin in patients with HR-positive/HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer previously treated with anthracyclines and taxanes (KELLY study) (abstract ID 1689)’ at The San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 2019 (December 10–14, 2019. San Antonio, Texas, USA).