- •Organoids were obtained from 29 of 54 (53.7%) pancreatobiliary cancers.
- •Most of the organoids retained genotypes and histological phenotypes of primary tumours.
- •Exome sequencing unveiled diverse mutations in primary biliary tumours.
- •Organoids served for testing genotype-oriented targeted drug candidates.
Pancreatobiliary cancer is a highly aggressive tumour with a dismal prognosis. Personalised medicine represents a promising and effective therapeutic approach for this intractable disease. In this study, we aimed to establish a system for identifying and testing genotype-oriented targeted drugs for pancreatobiliary cancers by combining exome sequencing and organoid culture of primary tumours.
Tumour cells isolated from resected tumours were subjected to organoid cultures based on published protocols with modifications. Exome sequencing was performed on the primary tumours. Histopathological and molecular features of the primary tumours were validated in the corresponding organoids. Genotype-oriented candidate targeted drugs were identified from exome sequencing, and their efficacies were tested in the organoids.
Organoid cultures succeeded in 30 of 54 (55.6%) cases. Six primary cancers of the biliary tract and gall bladder were subjected to exome sequencing, which revealed a variety of somatic mutations of genes involved in signalling pathways, epigenetic modifiers, genome maintenance and metabolic enzymes. Most of the organoids of these 6 cases showed identical histopathological features and genomic aberrations as those of the primary tumours. Some of the aberrations were candidates for targeted therapies. Integrin-linked kinase (ILK) was one such candidate target, and an ILK inhibitor was confirmed to suppress proliferation of patient-derived organoids.
By combining exome sequencing and organoid culture, our model enabled to identify genotype-oriented targets for personalised medicine and to test efficacies of candidate targeted drugs in the organoids. The current proof-of-concept approach could increase therapeutic opportunities for patients with pancreatobiliary cancers.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cholangiocarcinoma.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1303-1314
- Gallbladder cancer in the 21st century.J Oncol. 2015; 2015: 967472
- Current and future therapies for advanced pancreatic cancer.J Surg Oncol. 2017; 116: 25-34
- Cisplatin plus gemcitabine versus gemcitabine for biliary tract cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1273-1281
- Adjuvant chemotherapy of S-1 versus gemcitabine for resected pancreatic cancer: a phase 3, open-label, randomised, non-inferiority trial (JASPAC 01).Lancet. 2016; 388: 248-257
- Whole-genome and epigenomic landscapes of etiologically distinct subtypes of cholangiocarcinoma.Canc Discov. 2017; 7: 1116-1135
- Genetic basis of pancreas cancer development and progression: insights from whole-exome and whole-genome sequencing.Clin Canc Res. 2012; 18: 4257-4265
- Organogenesis in a dish: modeling development and disease using organoid technologies.Science. 2014; 345: 1247125
- Translational applications of adult stem cell-derived organoids.Development. 2017; 144: 968-975
- Classification of pancreatic carcinoma fourth English edition.2017
- Brierly J.D.G.M. Wittekind C. UICC: TNM classification of malignant tumours. Wiley Blackwell, New Jersey2017
- Culture and establishment of self-renewing human and mouse adult liver and pancreas 3D organoids and their genetic manipulation.Nat Protoc. 2016; 11: 1724-1743
- Human primary liver cancer-derived organoid cultures for disease modeling and drug screening.Nat Med. 2017; 23: 1424-1435
- Organoid models of human and mouse ductal pancreatic cancer.Cell. 2015; 160: 324-338
- Establishment of patient-derived organoids and drug screening for biliary tract carcinoma.Cell Rep. 2019; 27: 1265-1276.e4
- Aligning sequence reads, clone sequences and assembly contigs with BWA-MEM.2013
- The Genome Analysis Toolkit: a MapReduce framework for analyzing next-generation DNA sequencing data.Genome Res. 2010; 20: 1297-1303
- A program for annotating and predicting the effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms, SnpEff: SNPs in the genome of Drosophila melanogaster strain w1118; iso-2; iso-3.Fly. 2012; 6: 80-92
- GENCODE reference annotation for the human and mouse genomes.Nucleic Acids Res. 2019; 47 (d73): D766
- dbSNP: the NCBI database of genetic variation.Nucleic Acids Res. 2001; 29: 308-311
- ClinVar: improving access to variant interpretations and supporting evidence.Nucleic Acids Res. 2018; 46 (d7): D1062
- COSMIC: the catalogue of somatic mutations in cancer.Nucleic Acids Res. 2019; 47 (d7): D941
- OncoKB: a precision oncology knowledge base.JCO Precis Oncol. 2017; 2017
- The human genome browser at UCSC.Genome Res. 2002; 12: 996-1006
- Molecular biomarkers for progression of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas.Pancreas. 2015; 44: 227-235
- A GNAS mutation found in pancreatic intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms induces drastic alterations of gene expression profiles with upregulation of mucin genes.PloS One. 2014; 9e87875
- ILK expression in colorectal cancer is associated with EMT, cancer stem cell markers and chemoresistance.Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2018; 15: 127-141.28
- The repertoire of mutational signatures in human cancer.Nature. 2020; 578: 94-101
- Integrin-linked kinase--essential roles in physiology and cancer biology.J Cell Sci. 2008; 121: 3121-3132
- Visualization and targeting of LGR5(+) human colon cancer stem cells.Nature. 2017; 545: 187-192
- Basement membrane destruction by pancreatic stellate cells leads to local invasion in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.Canc Lett. 2018; 425: 65-77
- Prospective derivation of a living organoid biobank of colorectal cancer patients.Cell. 2015; 161: 933-945
- A living biobank of breast cancer organoids captures disease heterogeneity.Cell. 2018; 172 (e10): 373-386
- Patient-derived lung cancer organoids as in vitro cancer models for therapeutic screening.Nat Commun. 2019; 10: 3991
- Pancreatic cancer genomes reveal aberrations in axon guidance pathway genes.Nature. 2012; 491: 399-405
- Genomic characterization of biliary tract cancers identifies driver genes and predisposing mutations.J Hepatol. 2018; 68: 959-969
- Wild-type and mutated IDH1/2 enzymes and therapy responses.Oncogene. 2018; 37: 1949-1960
- Personalized cancer models for target discovery and precision medicine.Trends Cancer. 2018; 4: 634-642
- Review: precision medicine and driver mutations: computational methods, functional assays and conformational principles for interpreting cancer drivers.PLoS Comput Biol. 2019; 15e1006658
- Personalized in vitro and in vivo cancer models to guide precision medicine.Canc Discov. 2017; 7: 462-477
- Tumor evolution and drug response in patient-derived organoid models of bladder cancer.Cell. 2018; 173: 515-528.e17
- Organoid models of human liver cancers derived from tumor needle biopsies.Cell Rep. 2018; 24: 1363-1376
Published online: March 19, 2021
Accepted: January 28, 2021
Received in revised form: January 20, 2021
Received: November 9, 2020
© 2021 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.