- •Prostate cancer (PCa) adapts to low testosterone by upregulating the androgen receptor (AR).
- •High AR is a therapeutic vulnerability to bipolar androgen therapy (BAT).
- •This is a trial of BAT as first-line hormonal therapy for patients with castration-resistant PCa (CRPC).
- •BAT produced prostate-specific antigen and objective responses in a subset of patients.
- •BAT appeared to sensitise CRPC to subsequent androgen ablative therapy.
Patients and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Androgen receptor outwits prostate cancer drugs.Nat Med. 2004; 10: 26-27
- Biology of progressive, castration-resistant prostate cancer: directed therapies targeting the androgen-receptor signaling axis.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 8253-8261
- Vivo amplification of the androgen receptor gene and progression of human prostate cancer.Nat Genet. 1995; 9: 401-406
- Amplification and overexpression of androgen receptor gene in hormone-refractory prostate cancer.Canc Res. 2001; 61: 3550-3555
- AR-V7 and resistance to enzalutamide and abiraterone in prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1028-1038
- Androgen receptor gene aberrations in circulating cell-free DNA: biomarkers of therapeutic resistance in castration-resistant prostate cancer.Clin Canc Res. 2015; 21: 2315-2324
- Targeting persistent androgen receptor signaling in castration-resistant prostate cancer.Med Oncol. 2016; 33: 44
- Bipolar androgen therapy: the rationale for rapid cycling of supraphysiologic androgen/ablation in men with castration resistant prostate cancer.Prostate. 2010; 70: 1600-1607
- Androgen receptor as a licensing factor for DNA replication in androgen-sensitive prostate cancer cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2006; 103: 15085-15090
- Stabilizing androgen receptor in mitosis inhibits prostate cancer proliferation.Cell Cycle. 2007; 6: 647-651
- DNA licensing as a novel androgen receptor mediated therapeutic target for prostate cancer.Endocr Relat Canc. 2009; 16: 325-332
- Androgen-induced TOP2B-mediated double-strand breaks and prostate cancer gene rearrangements.Nat Genet. 2010; 42: 668-675
- Effect of bipolar androgen therapy for asymptomatic men with castration-resistant prostate cancer: results from a pilot clinical study.Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7: 269ra2
- Bipolar androgen therapy in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer after progression on enzalutamide: an open-label, phase 2, multicohort study.Lancet Oncol. 2018; 19: 76-86
- A multicohort open-label phase II trial of bipolar androgen therapy in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (RESTORE): a comparison of post-abiraterone versus post-enzalutamide cohorts.Eur Urol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.06.042
- Bipolar androgen therapy for men with androgen ablation naïve prostate cancer: results from the phase II BATMAN study.Prostate. 2016; 76: 1218-1226
- Hormonal regulation of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) glycoprotein in the human prostatic adenocarcinoma cell line.LNCaP. Prostate. 1992; 21: 63-73
- Androgen-regulated gene expression in prostate cancer.Semin Canc Biol. 1997; 8: 29-36
- Abiraterone in metastatic prostate cancer without previous chemotherapy.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 138-148
- Supraphysiological androgens suppress prostate cancer growth through androgen receptor–mediated DNA damage.J Clin Invest. 2019; 129: 4245-4260