- •All head and neck mucosa melanomas are classified as stage III-IV.
- •Prognosis is driven by distant metastases.
- •There is a role of ICI or targeted therapies as adjuvant treatment.
- •Adjuvant RT should be only offered in highly selected patients.
- •Consider entry to clinical trials to all patients.
The United Kingdom head and neck mucosal melanoma guideline development group used an evidence-based systematic approach to make recommendations in key areas of uncertainty in the field, including accurate diagnosis and staging; the appropriate treatment pathway including surgery, adjuvant radiation and new systemic treatments, such as targeted agents and immunotherapy; and the surveillance of patients after treatment. The guidelines were sent for international peer review and have been accredited by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. A summary of key recommendations is presented. The full documents are available on the Melanoma Focus website (https://melanomafocus.com/activities/mucosal-guidelines/mucosal-melanoma-resources/).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mucosal melanoma of the head and neck.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017 Apr; 112: 136-152
- Primary mucosal melanoma of the head and neck in Denmark, 1982-2012: demographic and clinical aspects. A retrospective DAHANCA study.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2016; 55: 1001-1008
- Predominance of triple wild-type and IGF2R mutations in mucosal melanomas.BMC Canc. 2018; 18: 1-10
- Mutation status in sinonasal mucosal melanoma.J Neurol Surg Part B Skull Base Conf 27th Annu Meet North Am Skull Base Soc United States. 2017; 78
- Mutation scanning of BRAF , NRAS , KIT, and GNAQ/GNA11 in oral mucosal melanoma: a study of 57 cases.J Oral Pathol Med. 2016 Apr; 45: 295-301
- Clinicopathologic and molecular features of mucosal melanoma: data from a tertiary care center.Virchows Arch. 2016; 469: S200
- Clinics, prognosis and new therapeutic options in patients with mucosal melanoma: a retrospective analysis of 75 patients.Medicine (Baltim). 2017; 96e5753
- Mucosal melanoma: a literature review.Curr Oncol Rep. 2018; 20: 28
- Laryngeal mucosal malignant melanoma. A clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study of four patients and a review of the literature.Cancer. 1995; 75: 1568-1577
- Malignant melanoma of the oral cavity: diagnosis and treatment experience in a Mexican population.Oral Oncol. 1999; 35: 425-430
- Mucosal melanoma of the head and neck: 32-year experience in a tertiary referral hospital.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 2749-2753
- Malignant melanoma of the skin of the head and neck. An analysis of 405 cases.Am J Surg. 1970 Oct 1; 120: 425-431
- Clinicopathologic differences in malignant melanoma arising in oral squamous and sinonasal respiratory mucosa of the upper aerodigestive tract.Arch Pathol Lab Med [Internet]. 2003; 127: 997-1002
- Comparative study between two different staging systems (AJCC TNM VS BALLANTYNE’S) for mucosal melanomas of the Head & Neck.Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2016 Jul 1; 21 (30): e425
- TNM classification of malignant tumours.8th ed. 2017
- Mucosal melanoma of the head and neck.in: AJCC cancer staging manual. 8th ed. 2017: 163-169
- Mucosal melanomas of the head and neck, histopathology reporting guide.1st ed. International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting, Sydney2018
- Patterns of treatment failure in patients with sinonasal mucosal melanoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2018; 25: 1723-1729
- Mucosal melanoma of the head and neck: recurrence characteristics and survival outcomes.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015; 120: 575-580
- Contemporary treatment approaches to sinonasal mucosal melanoma.Curr Oncol Rep. 2018; 20: 10
- Treatment and outcomes of endoscopic surgery and traditional open resection in sinonasal mucosal melanoma.Acta Otolaryngol. 2017; 137: 862-867
- Primary oral mucosal melanoma: advocate a wait-and-see policy in the clinically N0 patient.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 70: 1192-1198
- Evaluation of the prognostic impact of postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy on head and neck mucosal melanoma: a meta-analysis.BMC Canc. 2015; 15: 758
- Mucosal melanoma of the upper airways tract mucosal melanoma: a systematic review with meta-analyses of treatment.Head Neck. 2017; 39: 819-825
- Adjuvant nivolumab versus ipilimumab in resected stage III or IV melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2017 Nov 9; 377: 1824-1835
- Adjuvant dabrafenib plus trametinib in stage III BRAF -mutated melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2017 Nov; 2377: 1813-1823
- Oncologic outcomes, prognostic factor analysis and therapeutic algorythm evaluation of head and neck mucosal melanomas in France.Eur J Canc. 2019 Dec; 123: 1-10
- Efficacy and safety of nivolumab alone or in combination with ipilimumab in patients with mucosal melanoma: a pooled analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2017 Jan 10; 35: 226-235
- CheckMate 067: long-term outcomes in patients with mucosal melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38 (10019-10019)
- Axitinib in combination with toripalimumab, a humanized immunoglobulin G4 monoclonal antibody against Programmed Cell Death-1, in patients with metastatic mucosal melanoma: an open-label phase IB trial.J Clin Oncol. 2019 Nov; 37: 2987-2999
- Imatinib for melanomas harboring mutationally activated or amplified KIT arising on mucosal, acral, and chronically sun-damaged skin.J Clin Oncol. 2013 Sep 10; 31: 3182-3190
Published online: August 20, 2020
Accepted: July 19, 2020
Received in revised form: July 3, 2020
Received: May 25, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.