- •Seventy-five percent of patients had an imatinib exposure below the minimum plasma concentration threshold of 1100 ng/mL.
- •In 62% of these patients, the imatinib dose was increased to either 600 mg or 800 mg.
- •This PK-guided dose increase was successful in 63% of patients.
- •Therapeutic drug monitoring of imatinib is feasible in clinical practice.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Population-based SEER trend analysis of overall and cancer-specific survival in 5138 patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumor.BMC Canc. 2015; 15: 557
- Imatinib plasma levels are correlated with clinical benefit in patients with unresectable/metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumors.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3141-3147
- Plasma exposure of imatinib and its correlation with clinical response in the tyrosine kinase inhibitor optimization and selectivity trial.Haematologica. 2012; 97: 731-738
- Imatinib pharmacokinetics and its correlation with response and safety in chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia: a subanalysis of the IRIS study.Blood. 2008; 111: 4022-4028
- Trough imatinib plasma levels are associated with both cytogenetic and molecular responses to standard-dose imatinib in chronic myeloid leukemia.Blood. 2007; 109: 3496-3499
- Efficacy, safety, and pharmacokinetics of imatinib dose escalation to 800 mg/day in patients with advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors.Invest N Drugs. 2013; 31: 1367-1374
- Relationship between imatinib trough concentration and outcomes in the treatment of advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumours in a real-life setting.Eur J Canc. 2016; 57: 31-38
- A long-term prospective population pharmacokinetic study on imatinib plasma concentrations in GIST patients.Clin Canc Res. 2012; 18: 5780-5787
- Imatinib pharmacokinetics in a large observational cohort of gastrointestinal stromal tumour patients.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2017; 56: 287-292
- Optimizing the dose in cancer patients treated with imatinib, sunitinib and pazopanib.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2017; 83: 2195-2204
- Plasma concentrations of tyrosine kinase inhibitors imatinib, erlotinib, and sunitinib in routine clinical outpatient cancer care.Ther Drug Monit. 2014; 36: 326-334
- Optimizing the dose in patients treated with imatinib as first line treatment for gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a cost-effectiveness study.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2019; 85: 1994-2001
- Prospective evaluation of neoadjuvant imatinib use in locally advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors: emphasis on the optimal duration of neoadjuvant imatinib use, safety, and oncological outcome.Cancers (Basel). 2019; 11
- Neoadjuvant imatinib in locally advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST): the EORTC STBSG experience.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 2937-2943
- One vs three years of adjuvant imatinib for operable gastrointestinal stromal tumor: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1265-1272
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumours: ESMO-EURACAN Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: iv267
- Quantification of 11 therapeutic kinase inhibitors in human plasma for therapeutic drug monitoring using liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry.Ther Drug Monit. 2016; 38: 649-656
- A therapeutic drug monitoring algorithm for refining the imatinib trough level obtained at different sampling times.Ther Drug Monit. 2009; 31: 579-584
- Summary of product characteristics glivec (imatinib).https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/glivec-epar-product-information_en.pdf2001Date accessed: February 24, 2020
- Evaluation of extrapolation methods to predict trough concentrations to guide therapeutic drug monitoring of oral anticancer drugs.Ther Drug Monit. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1097/FTD.0000000000000767
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors: pathology and prognosis at different sites.Semin Diagn Pathol. 2006; 23: 70-83
- Ten-year progression-free and overall survival in patients with unresectable or metastatic GI stromal tumors: long-term analysis of the European organisation for research and treatment of cancer, Italian sarcoma group, and australasian gastrointestinal trials group intergroup phase III randomized trial on imatinib at two dose levels.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 1713-1720
- Population pharmacokinetics of imatinib and the role of alpha-acid glycoprotein.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2006; 62: 97-112
- Clinical usefulness of therapeutic concentration monitoring for imatinib dosage individualization: results from a randomized controlled trial.Canc Chemother Pharmacol. 2014; 74: 1307-1319