- •Chemotherapy is indicated in all patients with metastatic disease and a good PS.
- •Oesophageal stent should be proposed, pending the implementation of another treatment or after its failure.
- •Multidisciplinary approach, including nutritional support, a palliative care team and QoL/PROs are required.
- •A decision-making diagram is proposed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Endoscopic therapy for esophageal carcinoma with Nd:YAG laser: prospective evaluation of efficacy, complications, and survival.Gastrointest Endosc. 1984; 30: 334-339
- Prognostic value of nutritional status for esophageal cancer patients undergoing neoadjuvant therapy and resection.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 133
- Long-term follow-up of the potential benefits of early nutritional intervention in adults with upper gastrointestinal cancer: a pilot randomised trial.Support Care Canc. 2017; 25: 3587-3593
- Oesophageal cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: v50-v57
https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/esophageal_blocks.pdf; accessed 20 April 2020.
- A multicentre, randomised phase III trial comparing protracted venous infusion (PVI) 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) with PVI 5-FU plus mitomycin C in patients with inoperable oesophago-gastric cancer.Ann Oncol. 2002; 13: 1568-1575
- Definitive chemoradiotherapy with FOLFOX versus fluorouracil and cisplatin in patients with oesophageal cancer (PRODIGE5/ACCORD17): final results of a randomised, phase 2/3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 305-314
- Combined chemotherapy and radiotherapy compared with radiotherapy alone in patients with cancer of the esophagus.N Engl J Med. 1992; 326: 1593-1598
- Chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 29CD004064
- Prospective randomized trial comparing mitomycin, cisplatin, and protracted venous-infusion fluorouracil (PVI 5-FU) with epirubicin, cisplatin, and PVI 5-FU in advanced esophagogastric cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 1996-2004
- The feasibility of triple-drug chemotherapy combination in older adult patients with oesophagogastric cancer: a randomised trial of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Internistische Onkologie (FLOT65+).Eur J Canc. 2013; 49: 835-842
- Docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil; docetaxel and cisplatin; and epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil as systemic treatment for advanced gastric carcinoma: a randomized phase II trial of the Swiss Group for Clinical Cancer Research.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3217-3223
- A pilot trial of FLOT neoadjuvant chemotherapy for resectable esophagogastric junction adenocarcinoma.Med Oncol. 2016; 33: 62
- Quality of life with docetaxel plus cisplatin and fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil from a phase III trial for advanced gastric or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma: the V-325 Study Group.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3210-3216
- ToGA Trial Investigators. Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomized controlled trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 687-697
- A phase II trial of paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with advanced carcinoma of the esophagus.Canc J. 2000; 6: 316-323
- Phase II trial of weekly irinotecan plus cisplatin in advanced esophageal cancer.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 3270-3275
- Chemotherapy versus self-expanding metal stent as primary treatment of severe dysphagia from unresectable oesophageal or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer.Dig Liver Dis. 2014; 46: 283-286
- COUGAR-02 Investigators. Docetaxel versus active symptom control for refractory oesophagogastric adenocarcinoma (COUGAR-02): an open-label, phase 3 randomised controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 78-86
- Salvage chemotherapy for pretreated gastric cancer: a randomized phase III trial comparing chemotherapy plus best supportive care with best supportive care alone.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1513-1518
- Quality-of-life and performance status results from the phase III RAINBOW study of ramucirumab plus paclitaxel versus placebo plus paclitaxel in patients with previously treated gastric or gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 673-679
- Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy as second-line therapy for advanced esophageal cancer: phase 3 KEYNOTE-181 study.J Clin Oncol. 2019; 37: 4010
- Nivolumab versus chemotherapy in advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC): the phase 3 ATTRACTION-3 study.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 1506
- Interventions for dysphagia in oesophageal cancer.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 30: CD005048
- Esophageal stenting for benign and malignant disease: European society of gastrointestinal endoscopy (ESGE) clinical guideline.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 939-948
- Fully vs. partially covered selfexpandable metal stent for palliation of malignant esophageal strictures: a randomized trial (the COPAC study).Endoscopy. 2018; 50: 961-971
- Fully covered stents are similar to semi-covered stents with regard to migration in palliative treatment of malignant strictures of the esophagus and gastric cardia: results of a randomized controlled trial.Surg Endosc. 2017; 31: 4025-4033
- Self-expandable metal stent placement for malignant esophageal strictures-changes in clinical outcomes over time.Endoscopy. 2019; 51: 18-29
- Effectiveness of several external beam radiotherapy schedules for palliation of esophageal cancer.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2019; 17: 24-31
- Palliative radiotherapy in patients with esophageal carcinoma: a retrospective review.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2012; 2: 257-264
- Palliative stenting with or without radiotherapy for inoperable esophageal carcinoma: a randomized trial.J Gastrointest Canc. 2012; 43: 63-69
- Toxicity and outcomes in patients with and without esophageal stents in locally advanced esophageal cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 99: 884-894
- Self-expandable metallic stents for patients with recurrent esophageal carcinoma after failure of primary chemoradiotherapy.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2001; 31: 270-274
- Self-expanding stent effects on radiation dosimetry in esophageal cancer.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2013; 14: 4218
- Palliative chemoradiotherapy versus radiotherapy alone for dysphagia in advanced oesophageal cancer: a multicenter randomised controlled trial (TROG 03.01).Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 3: 114-124
- A prospective trial of short-course radiotherapy plus chemotherapy for palliation of dysphagia from advanced esophageal cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2000; 56: 329-333
- Palliative short-course hypofractionated radiotherapy followed by chemotherapy in esophageal adenocarcinoma: the phase II PALAESTRA trial.Acta Oncol. 2019; 28: 1-7
- Effects of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy vs chemotherapy alone on the relief of dysphagia in esophageal cancer patients: secondary endpoint analysis in a randomized trial.Dis Esophagus. 2019; 1: 32
- Effect of neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by surgical resection on survival in patients with limited metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal junction cancer: the AIO-FLOT3 trial.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 1237-1244
- Detection and management of oligometastatic disease in oesophageal cancer and identification of prognostic factors: a systematic review.World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2019; 11: 741-749
- Esophageal brachytherapy: Institut Gustave Roussy’s experience.Radiother Oncol. 2019; 133: S226
- Low-dose versus high-dose radiation therapy for the palliation of dysphagia from esophageal cancer: a multicenter retrospective cohort study.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2019 Oct 24; (pii: S1879-8500(19)30316-30319. [Epub ahead of print])
- Adding external beam to intra-luminal brachytherapy improves palliation in obstructive squamous cell oesophageal cancer: a prospective multi-centre randomized trial of the International Atomic Energy Agency.Radiother Oncol. 2010; 97: 488-494
- Single-dose brachytherapy versus metal stent placement for the palliation of dysphagia from oesophageal cancer: multicentre randomised trial.Lancet. 2004; 364: 1497-1504
- Stent insertion or endoluminal brachytherapy as palliation of patients with advanced cancer of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junction. Results of a randomized, controlled clinical trial.Dis Esophagus. 2005; 18: 131-139
- Conventional stents versus stents loaded with (125)iodine seeds for the treatment of unresectable oesophageal cancer: a multicentre, randomized phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 612-619
- Palliative brachytherapy with or without primary stent placement in patients with oesophageal cancer, a randomised phase III trial.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 107: 428-433
- Underuse of brachytherapy for the treatment of dysphagia owing to esophageal cancer. An Italian survey.Dig Liver Dis. 2016; 48: 1233e6
- Patient-reported outcomes evaluating palliative radiotherapy and chemotherapy in patients with oesophageal cancer: a systematic review.Acta Oncol. 2013; 52: 679-690
☆This paper was presented as part of a Multidisciplinary Session in ‘Overcoming symptom burden in upper GI cancer’ at ESMO Congress, Barcelona 2019.