- •Pulmonary pleomorphic carcinomas (PCs) are known to express a high level of PD-L1.
- •Given its poor prognosis, the role of PD-L1 in PCs warrants further investigation.
- •In this study, 89.6% were PD-L1 positive (≥1%) and 80.0% had high PD-L1 expression.
- •Immunotherapy showed ORR 49%, mPFS 7.2 months and mOS 22.2 months.
- •High PD-L1 expression group showed longer PFS (7.2 versus 1.5) and OS (22.2 versus 3.5).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The 2015 World Health organization classification of lung tumors: impact of genetic, clinical and radiologic advances since the 2004 classification.J Thorac Oncol. 2015; 10: 1243-1260https://doi.org/10.1097/jto.0000000000000630
- Efficacy of mesna, doxorubicin, ifosfamide, and dacarbazine (MAID) in patients with advanced pulmonary pleomorphic carcinoma.Lung Canc. 2018; 122: 160-164https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2018.06.009
- Efficacy of first-line chemotherapy in patients with advanced lung sarcomatoid carcinoma.J Thorac Oncol. 2013; 8: 1574-1577https://doi.org/10.1097/01.Jto.0000437008.00554.90
- Pulmonary sarcomatoid carcinoma: an analysis of the national cancer data base.Clin Lung Canc. 2017; 18: 286-292https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2016.11.016
- Outcomes of sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database analysis.Surgery. 2012; 152: 397-402https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2012.05.007
- Programmed death-1 ligand 1 and 2 are highly expressed in pleomorphic carcinomas of the lung: comparison of sarcomatous and carcinomatous areas.Eur J Canc. 2015; 51: 2698-2707https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2015.08.013
- Sarcomatoid lung carcinomas show high levels of programmed death ligand-1 (PD-L1).J Thorac Oncol. 2013; 8: 803-805https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318292be18
- Status of programmed death-ligand 1 expression in sarcomas.J Transl Med. 2018; 16: 303https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-018-1658-5
- Pembrolizumab for the treatment of non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2018-2028https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1501824
- Pembrolizumab as second-line therapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1015-1026https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1613683
- Programmed death-ligand 1 expression and response to the anti-programmed death 1 antibody pembrolizumab in melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 4102-4109https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2016.67.2477
- Pembrolizumab versus docetaxel for previously treated, PD-L1-positive, advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (KEYNOTE-010): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1540-1550https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(15)01281-7
- Atezolizumab versus docetaxel in patients with previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer (OAK): a phase 3, open-label, multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2017; 389: 255-265https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(16)32517-x
- Nivolumab versus docetaxel in previously treated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: two-year outcomes from two randomized, open-label, phase III trials (CheckMate 017 and CheckMate 057).J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 3924-3933https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2017.74.3062
- The role of PD-L1 expression as a predictive biomarker: an analysis of all US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approvals of immune checkpoint inhibitors.J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 278https://doi.org/10.1186/s40425-019-0768-9
- Nivolumab versus everolimus in advanced renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1803-1813https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1510665
- The society for immunotherapy of cancer consensus statement on immunotherapy for the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC).J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 354https://doi.org/10.1186/s40425-019-0813-8
- Nivolumab versus docetaxel in advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1627-1639https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1507643
- Pulmonary sarcomatoid carcinoma presenting both ALK rearrangement and PD-L1 high positivity: a case report on the therapeutic regimen.Medicine (Baltim). 2019; 98e16754https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000016754
- Efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitors in lung sarcomatoid carcinoma: data from a French multicentric cohort.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29 (suppl_8):viii406https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy288.015
- Efficacy of immunotherapy in sarcomatoid lung cancer, a case report and literature review.Respir Med Case Rep. 2019; 26: 310-314https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmcr.2019.02.017
- Immune checkpoint blockade is associated with durable responses in pulmonary sarcomatoid carcinoma.Clin Lung Canc. 2019; 20: e242-e246https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2018.12.013
- Impact of EGFR mutation on the clinical efficacy of PD-1 inhibitors in patients with pulmonary adenocarcinoma.J Canc Res Clin Oncol. 2019; 145: 1341-1349https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-019-02889-0
- New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1).Eur J Canc. 2009; 45: 228-247https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.026
- 1142PDEfficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitors in lung sarcomatoid carcinoma: data from a French multicentric cohort.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy288.015
- Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy for previously untreated, PD-L1-expressing, locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer (KEYNOTE-042): a randomised, open-label, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1819-1830https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(18)32409-7
- Pulmonary sarcomatoid_MEDI4736+Treme.https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03022500Date accessed: February 28, 2020