Immune checkpoint blockade with antibodies against programmed cell death 1 (PD-1) receptor and cytotoxic T lymphocyte antigen 4 (CTLA-4) has become a new game changer in the treatment of cancer, showing unprecedented clinical efficacy. As a result of excessive immunity against healthy organs, the use of these drugs is associated with a wide spectrum of immune-related adverse events (irAEs), such as enterocolitis [
- Hsieh A.H.-C.
- Ferman M.
- Brown M.P.
- Andrews J.M.
Vedolizumab: a novel treatment for ipilimumab-induced colitis.
BMJ Case Rep. 2016; (bcr2016216641)
- Soularue E.
- Lepage P.
- Colombel J.F.
- Coutzac C.
- Faleck D.
- Marthey L.
- et al.
Enterocolitis due to immune checkpoint inhibitors: a systematic review.
Gut. 2018; 67: 2056-2067
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Vedolizumab: a novel treatment for ipilimumab-induced colitis.BMJ Case Rep. 2016; (bcr2016216641)
- Enterocolitis due to immune checkpoint inhibitors: a systematic review.Gut. 2018; 67: 2056-2067
- Vedolizumab treatment for immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced enterocolitis.Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2017 May; 66: 581-592
- Emerging role of vedolizumab in managing refractory immune checkpoint inhibitor–induced enteritis.ACG Case Rep J. 2018; 5: e17https://doi.org/10.14309/crj.2018.17
- Resolution of infliximab-refractory nivolumab-induced acute severe enterocolitis after cyclosporine treatment in a patient with non-small cell lung cancer.Am J Case Rep. 2018; 19: 360-364https://doi.org/10.12659/ajcr.908570
- Evaluation of serum IL-17 levels during ipilimumab therapy: correlation with colitis.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2505https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2011.29.15_suppl.2505
- Correlation of absolute and relative eosinophil counts with immune-related adverse events in melanoma patients treated with ipilimumab.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 9096https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2014.32.15_suppl.9096
- Gene expression profiling of whole blood in ipilimumab-treated patients for identification of potential biomarkers of immune- related gastrointestinal adverse events.J Transl Med. 2013; 11: 75
- Management of toxicities from immunotherapy: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: iv119-iv142https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdx225
- Management of immune-related adverse events in patients treated with immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy: American society of clinical oncology clinical practice guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1714-1768https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.77.6385
Published online: April 08, 2020
Accepted: February 11, 2020
Received: January 9, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.