- •There are limited prospective studies on systemic therapy for advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.
- •Cisplatin-based chemotherapy is not always superior to other drugs.
- •RCT improves overall survival in patients with nodal squamous cell carcinoma.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Nonsurgical innovations in the treatment of nonmelanoma skin cancer.J Clin Aesthetic Dermatol. 2010; 6: 20-34
- Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States, 2006.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 3: 283-287
- Global cancer observatory: cancer today.International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France2018 (Available from:)http://gco.iarc.fr/today/online-analysis-map?v=2018Date accessed: March 1, 2019
- Statistical profiles of malignant melanoma and other skin cancers in Japan: 2007 update.Int J Clin Oncol. 2008; 13: 33-41
- High-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma without palpable lymphadenopathy: is there a therapeutic role for elective neck dissection?.Dermatol Surg. 2007; 33: 410-420
- Analysis of risk factors determining prognosis of cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma: a prospective study.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 713-720
- Factors predictive of recurrence and death from cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a 10-year, single-institution cohort study.JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149: 541-547
- Cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 975e83
- Advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: a retrospective analysis of patient profiles and treatment patterns–results of a non-interventional study of the DeCOG.Eur J Cancer. 2018; 96: 34e43
- Nation-wide survey of advanced non-melanoma skin cancers treated at dermatology departments in Japan.J Dermatol Sci. 2018; 92: 230-236
- Cisplatin-based chemotherapy in advanced basal and squamous cell carcinomas of the skin: results in 28 patients including 13 patients receiving multimodality therapy.J Clin Oncol. 1990; 8: 342-346
- Cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil for advanced locoregional and metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the skin.Cancer. 1991; 67: 2030-2032
- Cisplatin combination chemotherapy in squamous cell carcinoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma of the skin.J Dermatol. 1989; 16: 227-230
- Platinum and anthracycline therapy for advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Int J Clin Oncol. 2013; 18: 506-509
- A phase II study of gefitinib for aggressive cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 1435-1446
- Phase II study of cetuximab as first-line single-drug therapy in patients with unresectable squamous cell carcinoma of the skin.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 3419-3426
- FDA approves first treatment for advanced form of the second most common skin cancer.2018https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm622044.htmDate accessed: January 2, 2019
- PD-1 blockade with cemiplimab in advanced cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 341-351
- Toxicity and response criteria of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group.Am J Clin Oncol. 1982; 5: 649-655
- AJCC cancer staging manual.7th ed. Springer, New York2010
- New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1).Eur J Cancer. 2009 Jan; 45: 228-247
National Cancer Institute’s Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse EventsAEs ([AE] version 4.03). Available from: https://ctep.cancer.gov/protocoldevelopment/electronic_applications/ctc.htm#ctc_40 [Accessed 01 March 2019].
- Investigation of the freely available easy-to-use software ‘EZR’ for medical statistics.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013; 48: 452-458
- Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: estimated incidence of disease, nodal metastasis, and deaths from disease in the United States, 2012.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 68: 957e66
- Nationwide incidence of metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma in England.JAMA Dermatol. 2019 Mar 1; 155: 298-306
- Nationwide survey of squamous cell carcinoma and Bowen’s disease.Skin Cancer Japn. 2013; 2: 195-204
- Advanced Marjolin's ulcer of the scalp in a 13-year-old boy treated by excision and free tissue transfer: case report and review of literature.Indian J Plast Surg. 2009 Jan-Jun; 42: 106-111
- https://www.unaids.org/sites/default/files/media_asset/unaids-data-2018_en.pdfDate: 2018Date accessed: May 28, 2019
Global observatory on donation and transplantation. Accessed 28 May 2019. http://www.transplant-observatory.org/data-charts-and-tables/.
- Systemic therapy in advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (CSCC): the Roswell Park experience and a review of the literature.Am J Clin Oncol. 2016; 39: 545-548
- Oral S-1 in advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.J Dermatol. 2014 Jun; 41: 494-497
- Concomitant radiotherapy and chemotherapy for high-risk nonmelanoma skin carcinomas of the head and neck.Int J Surg Oncol. 2011; 2011
- Postoperative concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus postoperative radiotherapy in high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: the randomized phase III TROG 05.01 trial.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1275-1283
- Concurrent radiotherapy with cetuximab or platinum-based chemotherapy for locally advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Am J Clin Oncol. 2018; 41: 95-99
- Chemoradiotherapy could improve overall survival of patients with stage IV cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: analysis of 34 cases.Br J Dermatol. 2019 Jun; 180: 1557-1558
- Systemic immunotherapy for advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2019; 20: 30