- •Ibrutinib (560 mg/day) showed a significant clinical activity in R/R primary central nervous system lymphoma and primary vitreoretinal lymphoma.
- •The intention-to-treat overall response rate was 52% after two 28-day cycles with activity in the brain, eyes and cerebrospinal fluid.
- •Responses were observed even in the absence of CD79B and MYD88 mutation.
- •The median progression-free survival was 4.8 months (95% confidence interval [CI]; 2.8–12.7).
- •Pulmonary aspergillosis occurred in 2 patients (4%). No fatal haemorrhage occurred.
Patients and methods
Clinical trial number
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A uniform activated B-cell-like immunophenotype might explain the poor prognosis of primary central nervous system lymphomas: analysis of 83 cases.Blood. 2006; 107: 190-196
- Gene expression profiling suggests primary central nervous system lymphomas to be derived from a late germinal center B cell.Leukemia. 2008; 22: 400-405
- Mutational analysis of primary central nervous system lymphoma.Oncotarget. 2014 Jul 15; 5: 5065-5075
- Recurrent mutations of MYD88 and TBL1XR1 in primary central nervous system lymphomas.Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Oct 1; 18: 5203-5211
- Targetable genetic features of primary testicular and primary central nervous system lymphomas.Blood. 2016 Feb 18; 127: 869-881
- Massive immunoglobulin repertoire bias in primary intraocular lymphomas suggests antigenic selection of the neoplastic cells during lymphomagenesis.Haematologica. 2013; 98 S1 (Abstract 282)
- Primary diffuse large B-cell lymphomas of the central nervous system are targeted by aberrant somatic hypermutation.Blood. 2004; 103: 1869-1875
- V(H) gene sequences from primary central nervous system lymphomas indicate derivation from highly mutated germinal center B cells with ongoing mutational activity.Blood. 1999; 94: 1738-1746
- Exploiting synthetic lethality for the therapy of ABC diffuse large B cell lymphoma.Cancer Cell. 2012; 21: 723-737
- Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor ibrutinib (PCI-32765) has significant activity in patients with relapsed/refractory B-cell malignancies.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 88-94
- Targeting B cell receptor signaling with ibrutinib in diffuse large B cell lymphoma.Nat Med. 2015; 21: 922-926
- Preclinical evaluation of ibrutinib for central nervous system lymphoma.Blood. 2016; 128 (Abstract 4170)
- Ibrutinib monotherapy in relapsed/refractory CNS lymphoma: a retrospective case series.Neurology. 2017; 88: 101-102
- Ibrutinib unmasks critical role of Bruton tyrosine kinase in primary CNS lymphoma.Cancer Discov. 2017; 7: 1018-1029
- Inhibition of B Cell receptor signaling by ibrutinib in primary CNS lymphoma.Cancer Cell. 2017; 31 (e5): 833-843
- International Primary CNS Lymphoma Collaborative Group. Report of an international workshop to standardize baseline evaluation and response criteria for primary CNS lymphoma.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 5034-5043
- IL-10 measurement in aqueous humor for screening patients with suspicion of primary intraocular lymphoma.Investig Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007 Jul; 48: 3253-3259
- ISOLD: a new highly sensitive interleukin score for intraocular lymphoma diagnosis.Ophthalmology. 2016 Jul; 123: 1626-1628
- Ibrutinib brain distribution: a preclinical study.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2018; 81: 783-789
- Confirmation of the molecular classification of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by immunohistochemistry using a tissue microarray.Blood. 2004; 103: 275-282
- Incidence and type of opportunistic infections during ibrutinib treatment at a single academic center.Blood. 2017; 130: 830
- Systematic review of infectious events with the Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor ibrutinib in the treatment of hematologic malignancies.Eur J Haematol. 2018; 100: 325-334
- Early-onset invasive aspergillosis and other fungal infections in patients treated with ibrutinib.Blood. 2018; 131: 1955-1959
- Phase I study of pomalidomide and dexamethasone for relapsed/refractory primary CNS or vitreo-retinal lymphoma.Blood. 2018; 132: 2240-2248
- Rituximab-lenalidomide (REVRI) in relapse or refractory primary central nervous system (PCNSL) or vitreo retinal lymphoma (PVRL): results of a “proof of concept” phase II study of the French LOC network.Blood. 2016; 128 (Abstract 785)
- Immune checkpoint inhibition by anti- PDCD1 (anti-PD1) monoclonal antibody has significant therapeutic activity against central nervous system lymphoma in an immunocompetent preclinical model.Br J Haematol. 2018; 183: 674-678
- CHECKMATE 647: a phase 2, open-label study of Nivolumab in relapsed/refractory primary central nervous system or relapsed/refractory primary testicular lymphoma.Hematol Oncol. 2017; 35 (2017): 420-421
☆The results of the interim analysis were presented as an oral presentation at the 58th annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology, San Diego, California, December 2016 (abstract #782), and part of the final analysis was presented as an oral presentation at the 14th International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma, Lugano, June 2017 (abstract # 60).