- •Novel trial design to evaluate cediranib and selumetinib independently with chemoradiotherapy in patients with locally advanced rectal cancer.
- •The combination with cediranib was well-tolerated and efficacious with 41% of patients achieving a pathological or clinical complete response.
- •The recommended phase 2 dose of cediranib is 20 mg/OD.
- •The maximum tolerated dose of selumetinib was not established because of toxicity.
- •Tumour necrosis factor alpha is a potential predictive biomarker, with significantly lower pre-treatment levels in patients that had an excellent response to treatment.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Preoperative radiotherapy with or without concurrent fluorouracil and leucovorin in T3-4 rectal cancers: results of FFCD 9203.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 4620-4625
- Chemotherapy with preoperative radiotherapy in rectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1114-1123
- Prognostic value of pathologic complete response after neoadjuvant therapy in locally advanced rectal cancer: long-term analysis of 566 ypCR patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 72 (Epub 2008/04/15): 99-107
- Preoperative chemoradiotherapy and postoperative chemotherapy with fluorouracil and oxaliplatin versus fluorouracil alone in locally advanced rectal cancer: initial results of the German CAO/ARO/AIO-04 randomised phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2012; 13: 679-687
- Comparison of two neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy regimens for locally advanced rectal cancer: results of the phase III trial ACCORD 12/0405-Prodige 2.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1638-1644
- A Phase II study of preoperative radiotherapy and concomitant weekly irinotecan in combination with protracted venous infusion 5-fluorouracil, for resectable locally advanced rectal cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: 201-205
- Preoperative downstaging chemoradiation with concurrent irinotecan and capecitabine in MRI-defined locally advanced rectal cancer: a phase I trial (NWCOG-2).Br J Canc. 2009; 101: 924-934
- Phase II study of bevacizumab and chemoradiation in the preoperative or adjuvant treatment of patients with stage II/III rectal cancer.Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2012; 11 (Epub 2011/08/16): 45-52
- Efficacy, safety, and biomarkers of neoadjuvant bevacizumab, radiation therapy, and fluorouracil in rectal cancer: a multidisciplinary phase II study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; : 3020-3026
- Normalization of tumor vasculature: an emerging concept in antiangiogenic therapy.Science. 2005; 307: 58-62
- Improved tumor oxygenation and survival in glioblastoma patients who show increased blood perfusion after cediranib and chemoradiation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110 (Epub 2013/11/06): 19059-19064
- Combining radiotherapy with AZD2171, a potent inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor signaling: pathophysiologic effects and therapeutic benefit.Mol Canc Therapeut. 2007; 6 (Epub 2007/02/20): 599-606
- Preoperative treatment with capecitabine, bevacizumab and radiotherapy for primary locally advanced rectal cancer â€“ A two stage phase II clinical trial.Radiother Oncol : J European Soc Ther Radiol Oncol. 2012; 102: 10-13
- Phase II trial of neoadjuvant bevacizumab, capecitabine, and radiotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76 (Epub 2009/05/26): 824-830
- Neoadjuvant capecitabine, radiotherapy, and bevacizumab (CRAB) in locally advanced rectal cancer: results of an open-label phase II study.Radiat Oncol. 2011; 6 (Epub 2011/09/02): 105
- AZD2171: a highly potent, orally bioavailable, vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 tyrosine kinase inhibitor for the treatment of cancer.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 4389-4400
- Biological characterization of ARRY-142886 (AZD6244), a potent, highly selective mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase 1/2 inhibitor.Clin Cancer Res : An Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2007; 13 (Epub 2007/03/03): 1576-1583
- The mitogen-activated protein/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase 1/2 inhibitor AZD6244 (ARRY-142886) enhances the radiation responsiveness of lung and colorectal tumor xenografts.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 6619-6629
- Pathologic assessment of tumor regression after preoperative chemoradiotherapy of esophageal carcinoma. clinicopathologic Correlations.Cancer. 1994; 73 (Epub 1994/06/01): 2680-2686
- MRI after treatment of locally advanced rectal cancer: how to report tumor response--the MERCURY experience.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012; 199 (Epub 2012/09/22): W486-W495
- Preoperative chemoradiotherapy using concurrent capecitabine and irinotecan in magnetic resonance imaging-defined locally advanced rectal cancer: impact on long-term clinical outcomes.J Clin Oncol : Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2011; 29 (Epub 2011/01/26): 1042-1049
- Fit-for-purpose' validation of SearchLight multiplex ELISAs of angiogenesis for clinical trial use.J Immunol Methods. 2009; 342: 106-114
- DCE-MRI biomarkers in the clinical evaluation of antiangiogenic and vascular disrupting agents.Br J Canc. 2007; 96 (Epub 2007/01/11): 189-195
- OsiriX: an open-source software for navigating in multidimensional DICOM images.J Digit Imaging. 2004; 17: 205-216
- The assessment of antiangiogenic and antivascular therapies in early-stage clinical trials using magnetic resonance imaging: issues and recommendations.Br J Canc. 2005; 92: 1599-1610
- Watch-and-wait versus surgical resection for patients with rectal cancer - authors' reply.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17 (Epub 2016/06/15): e134-e135
- Infliximab therapy inhibits inflammation-induced angiogenesis in the mucosa of patients with Crohn's disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2011; 106 (Epub 2011/03/03): 762-770
- Selumetinib plus docetaxel compared with docetaxel alone and progression-free survival in patients with KRAS-mutant advanced non-small cell lung cancer: the SELECT-1 randomized clinical trial.Jama. 2017; 317 (Epub 2017/05/12): 1844-1853
- Neoadjuvant radiotherapy combined with capecitabine and sorafenib in patients with advanced KRAS-mutated rectal cancer: a phase I/II trial (SAKK 41/08).Eur J Cancer. 2018; 89 (Epub 2017/12/15): 82-89