- •The addition of metronomic chemotherapy to bevacizumab (bev) during maintenance does not significantly improve PFS.
- •5FU/bev is the standard maintenance following upfront FOLFOXIRI/bev.
- •The activity of FOLFOXIRI/bev is confirmed with 4 instead of 6 months duration.
- •Results among BRAF mutants are consistent with previous findings with FOLFOXIRI/bev.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- OPTIMOX1: a randomized study of FOLFOX4 or FOLFOX7 with oxaliplatin in a stop-and-Go fashion in advanced colorectal cancer--a GERCOR study.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 394-400https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.03.0106
- Can chemotherapy be discontinued in unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer? The GERCOR OPTIMOX2 Study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 5727-5733https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.4344
- Intermittent versus continuous chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancer: a randomised “GISCAD” trial.Ann Oncol. 2011; 22: 1236-1242https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq580
- Intermittent chemotherapy plus either intermittent or continuous cetuximab for first-line treatment of patients with KRAS wild-type advanced colorectal cancer (COIN-B): a randomised phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 631-639https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(14)70106-8
- First-line XELOX plus bevacizumab followed by XELOX plus bevacizumab or single-agent bevacizumab as maintenance therapy in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: the phase III MACRO TTD study.Oncol. 2012; 17: 15-25https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2011-0249
499ophase ii study of first-line mfolfox plus cetuximab (c) for 8 cycles followed by mfolfox plus C or single agent (s/a) C as maintenance therapy in patients (p) with metastatic colorectal cancer (mcrc): the macro-2 trial (Spanish cooperative group for the treatment of digestive tumors [ttd]). - semantic scholar n.d./paper/499ophase-Ii-Study-of-First-line-Mfolfox-plus-(c)-8-Alfonso-Benavides/d707712235b217d6aceec227dd5499ab67a61a60 [Accessed 5 July 2018].
- Maintenance treatment with capecitabine and bevacizumab in metastatic colorectal cancer (CAIRO3): a phase 3 randomised controlled trial of the Dutch Colorectal Cancer Group.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1843-1852https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)62004-3
- Bevacizumab continuation versus no continuation after first-line chemotherapy plus bevacizumab in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized phase III non-inferiority trial (SAKK 41/06).Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 709-714https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdv011
- Maintenance strategies after first-line oxaliplatin plus fluoropyrimidine plus bevacizumab for patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (AIO 0207): a randomised, non-inferiority, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 1355-1369https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(15)00042-X
- Initial therapy with FOLFOXIRI and bevacizumab for metastatic colorectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1609-1618https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1403108
- STEAM: a randomized, open-label, phase 2 trial of sequential and concurrent FOLFOXIRI-bevacizumab (BEV) versus FOLFOX-BEV for the first-line (1L) treatment (tx) of patients (pts) with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC).J Clin Orthod. 2014; 32 (TPS3652–TPS3652)https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2014.32.15_suppl.tps3652
- A phase II trial of 1st-line modified-FOLFOXIRI plus bevacizumab treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer harboring RAS mutation: JACCRO CC-11.Oncotarget. 2018; 9: 18811-18820https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.24702
“CHARTA”: FOLFOX/Bevacizumab vs. FOLFOXIRI/Bevacizumab in advanced colorectal cancer—Final results, prognostic and potentially predictive factors from the randomized Phase II trial of the AIO. J Clin Oncol. Vol 35, No 15_suppl n.d. http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2017.35.15_suppl.3533 [Accessed 2 July 2018]..
- Thrombospondin 1, a mediator of the antiangiogenic effects of low-dose metronomic chemotherapy.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003; 100: 12917-12922https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2135406100
- The anti-angiogenic basis of metronomic chemotherapy.Nat Rev Canc. 2004; 4: 423-436https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1369
- Combination of letrozole, metronomic cyclophosphamide and sorafenib is well-tolerated and shows activity in patients with primary breast cancer.Br J Canc. 2015; 112: 52-60https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2014.563
- Continuous low-dose therapy with vinblastine and VEGF receptor-2 antibody induces sustained tumor regression without overt toxicity.J Clin Invest. 2000; 105: R15-R24https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI8829
- Highly efficacious nontoxic preclinical treatment for advanced metastatic breast cancer using combination oral UFT-cyclophosphamide metronomic chemotherapy.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 3386-3391https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-4411
- Clinical, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluations of metronomic UFT and cyclophosphamide plus celecoxib in patients with advanced refractory gastrointestinal cancers.Angiogenesis. 2012; 15: 275-286https://doi.org/10.1007/s10456-012-9260-6
- New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1).Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 228-247https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.026
- Common terminology criteria for adverse events : (CTCAE)/. v4.03. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Md2010
- A rapid, sensitive, reproducible and cost-effective method for mutation profiling of colon cancer and metastatic lymph nodes.BMC Canc. 2010; 10: 101https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-101
- Detection of KRAS and BRAF mutations in colorectal carcinoma roles for high-sensitivity locked nucleic acid-PCR sequencing and broad-spectrum mass spectrometry genotyping.J Mol Diagn. 2011; 13: 64-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmoldx.2010.11.005
- Bevacizumab maintenance versus No maintenance during chemotherapy-free intervals in metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized phase III trial (PRODIGE 9).J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 674-681https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2017.75.2931
- LBA20TRIBE2: a phase III, randomized strategy study by GONO in the 1st- and 2nd-line treatment of unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) patients (pts).Ann Oncol. 2018; 29https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdy424.021