- •BET inhibition may be a promising therapeutic strategy for MYC-driven tumours.
- •BAY 1238097 is a highly selective BET inhibitor known to suppress MYC expression.
- •Severe toxicities at dose escalation led to phase I study termination.
- •Pharmacokinetic simulations of a feasible alternate schedule were unsuccessful.
- •Trends towards modulation of pharmacodynamic BET-inhibition biomarkers were observed.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- Preclinical evaluation of the BET bromodomain inhibitor BAY 1238097 for the treatment of lymphoma.Br J Haematol. 2017; 178: 936-948
- Inhibition of bromodomain and extra-terminal proteins (BET) as a potential therapeutic approach in haematological malignancies: emerging preclinical and clinical evidence.Ther Adv Hematol. 2015; 6: 128-141
- Selective inhibition of BET bromodomains.Nature. 2010; 468: 1067-1073
- The landscape of somatic copy-number alteration across human cancers.Nature. 2010; 463: 899-905
- BET bromodomain inhibition as a therapeutic strategy to target c-Myc.Cell. 2011; 146: 904-917
- X-ray structures of Myc-Max and Mad-Max recognizing DNA: molecular bases of regulation by proto-oncogenic transcription factors.Cell. 2003; 112: 193-205
- Efficacy of BET bromodomain inhibition in Kras-mutant non-small cell lung cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2013; 19: 6183-6192
- Discovery and characterization of super-enhancer-associated dependencies in diffuse large B cell lymphoma.Cancer Cell. 2013; 24: 777-790
- Phase I trial of bortezomib (PS-341; NSC 681239) and "nonhybrid" (bolus) infusion schedule of Alvocidib (flavopiridol; NSC 649890) in patients with recurrent or refractory indolent B-cell neoplasms.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 5652-5662
- Therapeutic targeting of BET bromodomain proteins in castration-resistant prostate cancer.Nature. 2014; 510: 278-282
- Bromodomain inhibition shows antitumoral activity in mice and human luminal breast cancer.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 51621-51629
- Targeting BET bromodomain proteins in solid tumors.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 53997-54009
- Inhibition of BET bromodomain proteins as a therapeutic approach in prostate cancer.Oncotarget. 2014; 4: 2419-2429
- Super-enhancers define a proliferative PGC-1α-expressing melanoma subgroup sensitive to BET inhibition.Oncogene. 2018; 37: 512-521
- Predictive pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic modeling of tumor growth kinetics in xenograft models after administration of anticancer agents.Cancer Res. 2004; 64: 1094-1101
Haendler B, Gelato K, Schoeckel L, Sugawara T, Lejeune P, Ellinger-Ziegelbauer H, et al. The BET inhibitor BAY 1238097 shows efficacy in BRAF wild-type and mutant melanoma models. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, April 16–20 2016:4703.
Klingbeil O, Haendler B, Stresemann A, Merz C, Walter A, Fernández-Montalván AE, et al. In vivo efficacy of BET inhibitor BAY 1238097 in preclinical models of melanoma and lung cancer. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, April 16–20 2016:4714.
- Rendering the 3 + 3 design to rest: more efficient approaches to oncology dose-finding trials in the era of targeted therapy.Clin Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 2623-2629
- Adaptive design methods in clinical trials – a review.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2008; 3: 11
- Clinical trials for BET inhibitors run ahead of the science.Drug Discov Today Technol. 2016; 19: 45-50
- BET inhibitors: a novel epigenetic approach.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 1776-1787
- Clinical response of carcinomas harboring the BRD4-NUT oncoprotein to the targeted bromodomain inhibitor OTX015/MK-8628.Cancer Discov. 2016; 6: 492-500
- The circadian expression of c-MYC is modulated by the histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A in synchronized murine neuroblastoma cells.Chronobiol Int. 2010; 27: 722-741
- The mechanisms behind the therapeutic activity of BET bromodomain inhibition.Mol Cell. 2014; 54: 728-736
- Drug discovery targeting bromodomain-containing protein 4.J Med Chem. 2017; 60: 4533-4558