- •Checkpoint inhibitors can cause immune-related colitis (irColitis).
- •IrColitis can be refractory to immunosuppressive and immunomodulatory therapies.
- •Refractory irColitis is often caused by reactivation of cytomegalovirus (CMV).
- •CMV colitis can resolve after the application of ganciclovir.
- •Different repetitive diagnostic measures are needed to detect CMV colitis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Improved survival with ipilimumab in patients with metastatic melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 711-723
- Pooled analysis of long-term survival data from phase II and phase III trials of ipilimumab in unresectable or metastatic melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 1889-1894
- Pembrolizumab versus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2521-2532
- Nivolumab in previously untreated melanoma without BRAF mutation.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 320-330
- Nivolumab versus chemotherapy in patients with advanced melanoma who progressed after anti-CTLA-4 treatment (CheckMate 037): a randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 375-384
- Combined nivolumab and ipilimumab or monotherapy in untreated melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 23-34
- Management of immune-related adverse events and kinetics of response with ipilimumab.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2691-2697
- Management of toxicities of immune checkpoint inhibitors.Cancer Treat Rev. 2016; 44: 51-60
- Blockade of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen-4 by ipilimumab results in dysregulation of gastrointestinal immunity in patients with advanced melanoma.Cancer Immun. 2010; 10: 11
- Enterocolitis in patients with cancer after antibody blockade of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen 4.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 2283-2289
- Ipilimumab-induced perforating colitis.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2013; 47: 781-785
- Severe colitis while responding to ipilimumab in metastatic melanoma.Acta Oncol. 2012; 51: 805-807
- Ipilimumab versus placebo after radiotherapy in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer that had progressed after docetaxel chemotherapy (CA184-043): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 700-712
- Adjuvant ipilimumab versus placebo after complete resection of high-risk stage III melanoma (EORTC 18071): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 522-530
- Anti-PD-1/PD-L1 therapy for infectious diseases: learning from the cancer paradigm.Int J Infect Dis. 2017; 56: 221-228
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled assessment of BMS-936558, a fully human monoclonal antibody to programmed death-1 (PD-1), in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection.PLoS One. 2013; 8e63818
- Anti-TNF-refractory colitis after checkpoint inhibitor therapy: possible role of CMV-mediated immunopathogenesis.Oncoimmunology. 2016; 5e1128611
- Autoimmune colitis and subsequent CMV-induced hepatitis after treatment with ipilimumab.J Immunother. 2015; 38: 212-215
- Prevalence, detection rate and outcome of cytomegalovirus infection in ulcerative colitis patients requiring colonic resection.Dig Liver Dis. 2005; 37: 418-423
- Cytomegalovirus infection in severe ulcerative colitis patients undergoing continuous intravenous cyclosporine treatment in Japan.World J Gastroenterol. 2007; 13: 754-760
- Cytomegalovirus, inflammatory bowel disease, and anti-TNFalpha.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2017; 32: 345-350
- Infection with cytomegalovirus in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: prevalence, clinical significance and outcome.J Med Microbiol. 2004; 53: 1155-1160
- Cytomegalovirus in inflammatory bowel disease: pathogen or innocent bystander?.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010; 16: 1620-1627
- Second European evidence-based consensus on the prevention, diagnosis and management of opportunistic infections in inflammatory bowel disease.J Crohns Colitis. 2014; 8: 443-468
- Cytomegalovirus in inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review.World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22: 1321-1330
- Comparison of polymerase chain reaction from plasma and buffy coat with antigen detection and occurrence of immunoglobulin M for the demonstration of cytomegalovirus infection after liver transplantation.Transplantation. 1995; 59: 1133-1138
- Cytomegalovirus in solid organ transplantation.Am J Transpl. 2013; 13: 93-106
- Updated international consensus guidelines on the management of cytomegalovirus in solid-organ transplantation.Transplantation. 2013; 96: 333-360
- Detection of cytomegalovirus in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: where to biopsy and How many biopsies?.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2015; 21: 2833-2838
- Cytomegalovirus infection in ulcerative colitis: a prospective, comparative study on prevalence and diagnostic strategy.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2008; 14: 1373-1379
- Usefulness of quantitative real-time PCR assay for early detection of cytomegalovirus infection in patients with ulcerative colitis refractory to immunosuppressive therapies.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2007; 13: 1516-1521
☆This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.