- •Adjuvant therapy with nivolumab in stage IIIB/C–IV melanoma patients is superior to adjuvant therapy with ipilimumab.
- •Adjuvant therapy with the combination of dabrafenib and trametinib is superior to placebo in stage IIIA(>1 mm)/B/C melanoma patients.
- •These findings will put an end to the use of adjuvant ipilimumab.
- •Adjuvant interferon remains an option only for patients with ulcerated melanoma.
The spectacular outcomes of the phase III trials regarding nivolumab versus ipilimumab in fully resected stage IIIB/C–IV and of the combination of dabrafenib (D) plus trametinib (T) in BRAF-mutant stage III patients demonstrate that effective treatments in advanced melanoma are also highly effective in the adjuvant setting. In 2016, an overall survival benefit with adjuvant high-dose ipilimumab was demonstrated, and the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer trial 1325 comparing pembrolizumab versus placebo will complete the picture in the early 2018. Toxicity profiles are in line with the experience in advanced melanoma, i.e. favourable for the anti-PD1 agents and for D + T and problematic for ipilimumab. The 2017 outcomes are practice changing and put an end to the use of interferon (IFN) and ipilimumab. In countries with only access to IFN, its use can be restricted to patients with ulcerated melanoma, based on the individual patient data meta-analysis recently published. Because of the results of the Melanoma Sentinel Lymph node Trial-2 (MSLT-2) trial, completion lymph node dissection (CLND) will decrease sharply, leading to a lack of optimal prognostic information. Prognosis in sentinel node–positive stage IIIA/B patients is extremely heterogeneous with 5-year survival rates varying from 90% to 40% and depends mostly on the number of positive nodes identified by CLND. This information is crucial for clinical decision-making. How to guarantee optimal staging information needs to be discussed urgently. Further improvements of adjuvant therapies will have to address all these questions as well as the exploration of neoadjuvant use of active drugs and combination approaches. Important paradigm shifts in the management of high-risk melanoma patients are upon us.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cutaneous melanoma.Lancet. 2014; 383: 816-827
- Survival of patients with advanced metastatic melanoma: the impact of novel therapies-update 2017.Eur J Cancer. 2017; 83: 247-257
- Adjuvant ipilimumab versus placebo after complete resection of high-risk stage III melanoma (EORTC 18071): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015 May; 16: 522-530
- Prolonged survival with Ipilimumab as adjuvant in stage III melanoma.New Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1845-1855
- Adjuvant ipilimumab in stage III melanoma: new landscape, new questions.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 69: 39-42
- Adjuvant nivolumab versus ipilimumab in resected stage III or IV melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2017 Sep 10; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1709030
- Adjuvant dabrafenib plus trametinib in stage III BRAF-mutated melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2017 Sep 10; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1708539
- Final version of 2009 AJCC melanoma staging and classification.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 6199-6206
- Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors among 2,313 patients with stage III melanoma: comparison of nodal micrometastases versus macrometastases.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2452-2459
- EORTC Melanoma Group sentinel node protocol identifies high rate of submicrometastases according to Rotterdam Criteria.Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 2414-2421
- Sentinel node tumor burden according to the Rotterdam criteria is the most important prognostic factor for survival in melanoma patients: a multicenter study in 388 patients with positive sentinel nodes.Ann Surg. 2008; 248: 949-955
- Prognosis in patients with sentinel node-positive melanoma is accurately defined by the combined Rotterdam tumor load and Dewar topography criteria.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2206-2214
- The prognostic significance of sentinel node tumour burden in melanoma patients: an international, multicenter study of 1539 sentinel node-positive melanoma patients.Eur J Cancer. 2014; 50: 111-120
- Pembrolizumab versus ipilimumab for advanced melanoma: final overall survival results of a multicentre, randomised, open-label phase 3 study (KEYNOTE-006).Lancet. 2017 Aug 16; (pii: S0140-6736(17)31601-X. [Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31601-X
- Overall survival with combined therapy with nivolumab and ipilimumab in melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2017 Sep 10; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1708539
- Cutaneous, gastrointestinal, hepatic, endocrine, and renal side-effects of anti-PD-1 therapy.Eur J Cancer. 2016 Jun; 60: 190-209
- Neurological, respiratory, musculoskeletal, cardiac and ocular side-effects of anti-PD-1 therapy.Eur J Cancer. 2016 Jun; 60: 210-225
- Phase III trial (EORTC 18071/CA184-029) of post-operative adjuvant ipilimumab compared to placebo in patients with resected stage III cutaneous melanoma: Health Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) results.Lancet Oncol. 2017 Mar; 18: 393-403
- Three-year pooled analysis of factors associated with clinical outcomes across dabrafenib and trametinib combination therapy phase 3 randomised trials.Eur J Cancer. 2017; 82: 45-55
- Interferon alfa-2b adjuvant therapy of high-risk resected cutaneous melanoma: the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Trial EST 1684.J Clin Oncol. 1996 Jan; 14: 7-17
- Randomised trial of interferon alpha-2a as adjuvant therapy in resected primary melanoma thicker than 1.5 mm without clinically detectable node metastases. French Cooperative Group on Melanoma.Lancet. 1998 Jun 27; 351: 1905-1910
- Adjuvant therapy with pegylated interferon alfa-2b versus observation alone in resected stage III melanoma: final results of EORTC 18991, a randomised phase III trial.Lancet. 2008; 372: 117-126
- Long term results of the randomized phase III trial EORTC 18991 of adjuvant therapy with pegylated interferon alfa-2b versus observation in resected stage III melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3810-3818
- Post-surgery adjuvant therapy with intermediate doses of interferon alfa 2b versus observation in patients with stage IIb/III melanoma (EORTC 18952): randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1189-1196
- Ulceration and stage are predictive of interferon efficacy in melanoma: results of the phase III adjuvant trials EORTC 18952 and EORTC 18991.Eur J Cancer. 2012; 48: 218-225
- Long term follow up of the EORTC 18952 trial of adjuvant therapy in resected stage IIB-III cutaneous melanoma patients comparing intermediate doses of interferon-alpha-2b (IFN) with observation: ulceration of primary is key determinant for IFN-sensitivity.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 55: 111-121
- Adjuvant interferon-α for the treatment of high-risk melanoma: an individual patient data meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer. 2017; 82: 171-183
- Does adjuvant interferon-alpha for high-risk melanoma provide a worthwhile benefit? A meta-analysis of the randomised trials.Cancer Treat Rev. 2003; 29: 241-252
- Interferon alpha adjuvant therapy in patients with high-risk melanoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010; 102: 493-501
- Diagnosis and treatment of melanoma. European consensus-based interdisciplinary guideline – update 2016.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 63: 201-217
- Complete lymph node dissection versus no dissection in patients with sentinel lymph node biopsy positive melanoma (DeCOG-SLT): a multicentre, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 757-767
- Completion dissection or observation for sentinel-node metastasis in melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 2211-2222
- (Neo-)adjuvant ipilimumab 1 nivolumab (IPI1NIVO) in palpable stage 3 melanoma – updated relapse free survival (RFS) data from the OpACIN trial and first biomarker analyses.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 1221
- Phase 2 study of neoadjuvant dabrafenib + trametinib (D1T) for resectable stage IIIB/C BRAF V600 mutant melanoma.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: 1221
- Standard-dose pembrolizumab in combination with reduced-dose ipilimumab for patients with advanced melanoma (KEYNOTE-029): an open-label, phase 1b trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017 Sep; 18: 1202-1210
Published online: September 29, 2017
Accepted: September 18, 2017
Received: September 18, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.