- •Oral administration of oral docetaxel either as ModraDoc001 or ModraDoc006 combined with ritonavir is feasible and safe.
- •Toxicity is in line with that observed with intravenous docetaxel, albeit without hypersensitivity reactions and no grade 3 sensory neuropathy.
- •Docetaxel plasma concentrations (AUC) at the MTD of ModraDoc006 with ritonavir are comparable to intravenous docetaxel in a weekly schedule.
- •Antitumour activity with ModraDoc/ritonavir is promising.
Two solid dispersions of docetaxel (denoted ModraDoc001 capsule and ModraDoc006 tablet (both 10 mg)) were co-administered with 100 mg ritonavir (/r) and investigated in a bi-daily once weekly (BIDW) schedule. Safety, maximum tolerated dose (MTD), pharmacokinetics (PK) and preliminary activity were explored.
Adult patients with metastatic solid tumours were included in two dose-escalation arms. PK sampling was performed during the first week and the second or third week. Safety was evaluated using US National Cancer Institute's Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (NCI-CTCAE) version 3.0. Antitumour activity was assessed every 6 weeks according to Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumours (RECIST) version 1.0.
ModraDoc001 capsule/r and ModraDoc006 tablet/r were administered to 17 and 28 patients, respectively. The most common adverse events were nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and fatigue, mostly of grade 1–2 severity. Grade 3/4 neutropenia/neutropenic fever was observed in 2 patients (4%). The MTD was determined as 20/20 mg ModraDoc001/r and 30/20 mg ModraDoc006/r (morning/afternoon dose) once weekly. The mean area under the plasma concentration–time curve (AUC0–48) ± standard deviation at the MTD for ModraDoc001/r and ModraDoc006/r were 686 ± 388 ng/ml*h and 1126 ± 382 ng/ml*h, respectively. Five partial responses were reported as best response to treatment.
Oral administration of BIDW ModraDoc001/r or ModraDoc006/r is feasible. The once weekly 30/20 mg ModraDoc006 tablet/r dose-level was selected for future clinical development. Antitumour activity is promising.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Summary of product characteristics (Taxotere).2015
- P-glycoprotein and cytochrome P450 3A act together in restricting the oral bioavailability of paclitaxel.Int J cancer. 2013; 132: 2439-2447https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27912
- Pharmaceutical development and preliminary clinical testing of an oral solid dispersion formulation of docetaxel (ModraDoc001).Int J Pharm. 2011; 420: 244-250https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2011.08.041
- Pharmaceutical development of an oral tablet formulation containing a spray dried amorphous solid dispersion of docetaxel or paclitaxel.Int J Pharm. 2016; 511: 765-773https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2016.07.068
- Coadministration of cyclosporine strongly enhances the oral bioavailability of docetaxel.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 1160-1166
- Coadministration of ritonavir strongly enhances the apparent oral bioavailability of docetaxel in patients with solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 4228-4233https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2944
- The relationship between ritonavir plasma levels and side-effects: implications for therapeutic drug monitoring.AIDS. 1999; 13: 2083-2089
- Phase I study of weekly oral docetaxel (ModraDoc001) plus ritonavir in patients with advanced solid tumors.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30 (abstr 2550)
- Dose escalation methods in phase I cancer clinical trials.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009; 101: 708-720https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp079
- Anonymous common terminology criteria for adverse events v3.0 (CTCAE). 2006
- New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000; 92: 205-216
- A sensitive combined assay for the quantification of paclitaxel, docetaxel and ritonavir in human plasma using liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry.J Chromatogr B Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2011; 879: 2984-2990https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2011.08.034
- Bioanalytical method validation.2001
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing.2009
- Pharmacological effects of formulation vehicles: implications for cancer chemotherapy.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003; 42: 665-685https://doi.org/10.2165/00003088-200342070-00005
- Clinical pharmacokinetics of unbound docetaxel: role of polysorbate 80 and serum proteins.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2003; 74: 364-371https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9236(03)00222-4
- Individual patient data meta-analysis of docetaxel administered once every 3 weeks compared with once every week second-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1377-1382https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.8251
- Analysis of docetaxel pharmacokinetics in humans with the inclusion of later sampling time-points afforded by the use of a sensitive tandem LCMS assay.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2003; 52: 159-166https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-003-0622-z
- Comparison of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of docetaxel and cisplatin in elderly and non-elderly patients: why is toxicity increased in elderly patients?.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 2901-2908https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.10.163
- Comparative pharmacokinetics of weekly and every-three-weeks docetaxel.Clin Cancer Res. 2004; 10: 1976-1983
- Population pharmacokinetics and pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic relationships for docetaxel.Invest New Drugs. 2001; 19: 163-169
- Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 2095-2103
- Randomized phase III trial of pemetrexed versus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 1589-1597https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.08.163
Published online: October 12, 2017
Accepted: September 14, 2017
Received: August 31, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.