- •Only 32 economic evaluations (EEs) have been published over the past 15-years.
- •A wide variety of methodological approaches were shown.
- •Nearly two-thirds of EEs are full and 40% are cost-utility analyses.
- •Only nearly one-third of EEs are of high quality.
- •Need to apply European and international recommendations to ensure quality of EEs.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- European cancer mortality predictions for the year 2014.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 1650-1656
- Cancer of the pancreas: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: v56-68
- FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1817-1825
- Impact of FOLFIRINOX compared with gemcitabine on quality of life in patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer: results from the PRODIGE 4/ACCORD 11 randomized trial.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 23-29
- Prognostic value of health-related quality of life in patients with metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a random forest methodology.Qual Life Res. 2016; 25: 1713-1723
- When is cancer care cost-effective? A systematic overview of cost-utility analyses in oncology.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010; 102: 82-88
- The cloudy crystal ball of cost-effectiveness studies.Value Health. 2013; 16: 1100-1102
Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions | Cochrane Training n.d. http://training.cochrane.org/handbook [Accessed 1 August 2017].
- Methods for the economic evaluation of health care programmes.Oxford University Press, 2015
- Quality assessment of economic evaluation studies in pediatric surgery: a systematic review.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 659-687
- Choices in methods for economic evaluation.Public Health Assessment Haute Autorité de Santé, 2012
- Health outcomes in economic evaluation: the QALY and utilities.Br Med Bull. 2010; 96: 5-21
- Consolidated health economic evaluation reporting standards (CHEERS)—explanation and elaboration: a report of the ISPOR health economic evaluation publication guidelines good reporting practices task force.Value Health. 2013; 16: 231-250
FRB: G.5 Release–Foreign Exchange Rates–July 01, 2016 n.d. https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/g5/current/ [Accessed 1 August 2017].
- Economic analysis in randomized control trials.Med Care. 1992; 30: 231-243
- Guidelines for authors and peer reviewers of economic submissions to the BMJ. The BMJ Economic Evaluation Working Party.BMJ. 1996; 313: 275-283
- Gold M.R. Siegel J.E. Russell L.B. Weinstein M.C. Cost-effectiveness in health and medicine. Oxford University Press, New York1996: 91-92 (J Ment Health Policy Econ 1999;2)
- Criteria list for assessment of methodological quality of economic evaluations: consensus on health economic criteria.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2005; 21: 240-245
- Developing a scoring system to quality assess economic evaluations.Eur J Health Econ. 2002; 3: 131-136
- Cost analysis of pancreatic carcinoma treatment.Cancer. 2000; 89: 1917-1924
- Costs and trends in pancreatic cancer treatment: costs of pancreatic cancer treatment.Cancer. 2012; 118: 5132-5139
- Cost-effectiveness of treatment strategies for pancreatic head adenocarcinoma and potential opportunities for improvement.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 3659-3667
- The cost-effectiveness of neoadjuvant chemoradiation is superior to a surgery-first approach in the treatment of pancreatic head adenocarcinoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 500-508
- Economic evaluation of gemcitabine in the treatment of pancreatic cancer in the UK.Eur J Health Econ. 2003; 4: 216-221
- Cost-effectiveness of FOLFIRINOX for first-line treatment of metastatic pancreatic cancer.Curr Oncol. 2014; 21: 41-51
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of gemcitabine, S-1 and gemcitabine plus S-1 for treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer based on GEST study.Med Oncol. 2015; : 32
- Cost-utility analysis of nanoparticle albumin-bound paclitaxel (nab-paclitaxel) in combination with gemcitabine in metastatic pancreatic cancer in Spain: results of the PANCOSTABRAX study.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2015; 15: 579-589
- Economic evaluation for the UK of nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine in the treatment of metastatic pancreas cancer.Br J Cancer. 2015; 112: 1301-1305
- Cost-effectiveness of systemic therapies for metastatic pancreatic cancer.Curr Oncol. 2013; : 20https://doi.org/10.3747/co.20.1223
- Pancreatic cancer – cost for overtreatment with gemcitabine.Acta Oncol. 2013; 52: 1146-1151
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection for local advanced pancreatic head cancer: a single center retrospective study.J Gastrointest Surg. 2008; 12: 2183-2190
- An analysis of cost and clinical outcome in palliation for advanced pancreatic cancer.Am J Surg. 2005; 190: 406-411
- Using economic analysis to evaluate the potential of multimodality therapy for elderly patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 67: 211-218
- Cost-effectiveness of modern radiotherapy techniques in locally advanced pancreatic cancer: RT cost effectiveness in pancreatic CA.Cancer. 2012; 118: 1119-1129
- The clinical and economic impact of alternative staging strategies for adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 1708-1713
- A cost analysis of endoscopic ultrasound in the evaluation of pancreatic head adenocarcinoma.Am J Gastroenterol. 2001; 96: 2651-2656
- Pancreatic cancer: cost-effectiveness of imaging technologies for assessing resectability.Radiology. 2001; 221: 93-106
- A cost-minimization analysis of alternative strategies in diagnosing pancreatic cancer.Am J Gastroenterol. 2004; 99: 2223-2234
- Positron emission tomography/computed tomography influences on the management of resectable pancreatic cancer and its cost-effectiveness.Ann Surg. 2005; 242: 235-243
- Diagnostic laparoscopy for patients with potentially resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma: is it cost-effective in the current era?.J Gastrointest Surg. 2008; 12: 1177-1184
- Staging laparoscopy for proximal pancreatic cancer in a magnetic resonance imaging-driven practice: what's it worth?.HPB. 2011; 13: 732-737
- Diagnostic laparoscopy should be performed before definitive resection for pancreatic cancer: a financial argument.HPB. 2015; 17: 131-139
- Cost-effectiveness of pancreatic cancer screening in familial pancreatic cancer kindreds.Gastrointest Endosc. 2003; 57: 23-29
- Peutz–Jeghers syndrome and screening for pancreatic cancer.Br J Surg. 2006; 93: 1446-1455
- A clinical and economic evaluation of endoscopic ultrasound for patients at risk for familial pancreatic adenocarcinoma.Pancreatology. 2007; 7: 514-525
- Modelling the benefits of early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer using a biomarker signature: modelling benefits of early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.Int J Cancer. 2013; 133: 2392-2397
- Biliary stents in malignant obstructive jaundice due to pancreatic carcinoma: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97: 898-904
- Expandable metal biliary stents before pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer: a Monte-Carlo decision analysis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 3: 1229-1237
- Covered self-expandable metal stents in pancreatic malignancy regardless of resectability: a new concept validated by a decision analysis.Endoscopy. 2007; 39: 319-324
- Is it worth looking? Abdominal imaging after pancreatic cancer resection: a national study.J Gastrointest Surg. 2012; 16: 121-128
- Frequency and intensity of postoperative surveillance after curative treatment of pancreatic cancer: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 2197-2203
- Development of AMSTAR: a measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007; 7: 10
- AMSTAR is a reliable and valid measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 1013-1020
- Economic evaluations of first-line chemotherapy regimens for pancreatic cancer: a critical review.PharmacoEconomics. 2017; 35: 83-95
CADTH.ca n.d. https://www.cadth.ca/ [Accessed 1 August 2017].
NICE | The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence n.d. https://www.nice.org.uk/ [Accessed 1 August 2017].
- Comparison of three instruments assessing the quality of economic evaluations: a practical exercise on economic evaluations of the surgical treatment of obesity.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2008; 24: 318-325
- The impact of structural uncertainty on cost-effectiveness models for adjuvant endocrine breast cancer treatments: the need for disease-specific model standardization and improved guidance.Pharmacoeconomics. 2014; 32: 47-61
- Model parameter estimation and uncertainty: a report of the ISPOR-SMDM modeling good research practices task force–6.Value Health. 2012; 15: 835-842
- The quality of reporting in published cost-utility analyses, 1976–1997.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 132: 964-972
- Systematic review of the economic evaluations of novel therapeutic agents in multiple myeloma: what is the reporting quality?.J Clin PharmTher. 2016; 41: 189-197
- Cost–utility analyses of drug therapies in breast cancer: a systematic review.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016; 159: 407-424
Health Economic Evaluation Publication Guidelines (CHEERS): Good Reporting Practices n.d. http://www.ispor.org/Health-Economic-Evaluation-Publication-CHEERS-Guidelines.asp [Accessed 1 August 2017].