- •Trifluridine (FTD) is a cytotoxic component of the metastatic colorectal cancer drug TAS-102.
- •FTD rapid degradation is inhibited by thymidine phosphorylase inhibitor (TPI).
- •Germline polymorphisms of the nucleoside transporter ENT1 regulate the FTD influx/efflux.
- •Transporters multidrug and toxin extrusion 1 (MATE1) and organic cation transporter 2 (OCT2) are involved in TPI excretion.
- •Combined polymorphisms of transporter genes ENT1, MATE1 and OCT2 classify the clinical outcome.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Phase I study to determine the safety and pharmacokinetics of oral administration of TAS-102 in patients with solid tumors.Cancer. 2006; 107: 1383-1390
- Therapeutic potential of the dual-targeted TAS-102 formulation in the treatment of gastrointestinal malignancies.Cancer Sci. 2007; 98: 779-789
- Differential activation of cell death and autophagy results in an increased cytotoxic potential for trifluorothymidine compared to 5-fluorouracil in colon cancer cells.Int J Cancer. 2010; 126: 2457-2468
- Discovery and development of clofarabine: a nucleoside analogue for treating cancer.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2006; 5: 855-863
- Advances in the development of nucleoside and nucleotide analogues for cancer and viral diseases.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2013; 12: 447-464
- The broadly selective human Na+/nucleoside cotransporter (hCNT3) exhibits novel cation-coupled nucleoside transport characteristics.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 25436-25449
- Human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1 (hENT1) in pancreatic adenocarcinoma: towards individualized treatment decisions.Cancers (Basel). 2010; 2: 2044-2054
- Involvement of concentrative nucleoside transporter 1 in intestinal absorption of trifluorothymidine, a novel antitumor nucleoside, in rats.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012; 340: 457-462
- A novel combination antimetabolite, TAS-102, exhibits antitumor activity in FU-resistant human cancer cells through a mechanism involving FTD incorporation in DNA.Int J Oncol. 2004; 25: 571-578
- Trifluorothymidine exhibits potent antitumor activity via the induction of DNA double-strand breaks.Exp Ther Med. 2011; 2: 393-397
- Crucial roles of thymidine kinase 1 and deoxyUTPase in incorporating the antineoplastic nucleosides trifluridine and 2'-deoxy-5-fluorouridine into DNA.Int J Oncol. 2015; 46: 2327-2334
- Trifluorothymidine resistance is associated with decreased thymidine kinase and equilibrative nucleoside transporter expression or increased secretory phospholipase A2.Mol Cancer Ther. 2010; 9: 1047-1057
- Phase I study of TAS-102 treatment in Japanese patients with advanced solid tumours.Br J Cancer. 2012; 107: 429-434
- Investigation of transporters that play an important role in urinary secretion of thymidine phosphorylase inhibitor combined with a novel anti-cancer agent of TAS-102.Drug Metab Rev. 2015; 47: 263
- Transport of asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA) by cationic amino acid transporter 2 (CAT2), organic cation transporter 2 (OCT2) and multidrug and toxin extrusion protein 1 (MATE1).Amino Acids. 2013; 45: 989-1002
- A gene-gene interaction between polymorphisms in the OCT2 and MATE1 genes influences the renal clearance of metformin.Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2013; 23: 526-534
- Trimethoprim-metformin interaction and its genetic modulation by OCT2 and MATE1 transporters.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 76: 787-796
- Nucleoside anticancer drugs: the role of nucleoside transporters in resistance to cancer chemotherapy.Oncogene. 2003; 22: 7524-7536
- The absence of human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1 is associated with reduced survival in patients with gemcitabine-treated pancreas adenocarcinoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2004; 10: 6956-6961
- Gemcitabine metabolic and transporter gene polymorphisms are associated with drug toxicity and efficacy in patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer.Cancer. 2010; 116: 5325-5335
- Investigating the role of nucleoside transporters in the resistance of colorectal cancer to 5-fluorouracil therapy.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2013; 71: 817-823
- A human transporter protein that mediates the final excretion step for toxic organic cations.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 17923-17928
- Human multidrug and toxin extrusion 1 (MATE1/SLC47A1) transporter: functional characterization, interaction with OCT2 (SLC22A2), and single nucleotide polymorphisms.Am J Physiol Ren Physiol. 2010; 298: F997-F1005
- Human mass balance study of TAS-102 using (14)C analyzed by accelerator mass spectrometry.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2016; 77: 515-526
- Cost effectiveness of pharmacogenetic testing for uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase 1A1 before irinotecan administration for metastatic colorectal cancer.Cancer. 2009; 115: 3858-3867