- •We observed rising oestrogen receptor–positive (ER+) and falling ER− age-standardised breast cancer incidence rates in Ireland.
- •Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) status did not substantively impact receptor-specific trends.
- •Divergent ER± incidence rates across populations, suggest influences of similar factors with dual effects on ER+ and ER− cancers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Recent trends in incidence of five common cancers in 26 European countries since 1988: analysis of the European Cancer Observatory.Eur J Cancer. 2015; 51: 1164-1187
- International variation in female breast cancer incidence and mortality rates.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015; 24: 1495-1506
- Anticipating the “Silver Tsunami”: prevalence trajectories and comorbidity burden among older cancer survivors in the United States.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016; 25: 1029-1036
- How many etiological subtypes of breast cancer: two, three, four, or more?.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014; 106
- Tracking and evaluating molecular tumor markers with cancer registry data: HER2 and breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014; 106
- Incidence of breast cancer in the United States: current and future trends.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 1397-1402
- Divergent estrogen receptor-positive and -negative breast cancer trends and etiologic heterogeneity in Denmark.Int J Cancer. 2013; 133: 2201-2206
- Reduced risk of oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer among peri- and post-menopausal women in Scotland following a striking decrease in use of hormone replacement therapy.Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 937-943
- Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: a pooled analysis of 1698 population-based measurement studies with 19.2 million participants.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1377-1396
- Breastfeeding and breast cancer risk by receptor status–a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 2398-2407
http://www.cancertrials.ie/news-events/cancerwise-icorg-article-march-20th-2002. Accessed on: February 9th 2017.
National Cancer Registry Ireland, http://www.ncri.ie/.
- Completeness of case ascertainment at the Irish National Cancer Registry.Ir J Med Sci. 2014; 183: 219-224
Central Statistics Office. http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=PEA11&PLanguage=0.
BreastCheck The National Breast Screening Programme History [Internet]. Available from: http://www.breastcheck.ie/content/history.
- Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 288: 321-333
- Breast cancer and hormone-replacement therapy in the Million Women Study.Lancet. 2003; 362: 419-427
- Association of hormone replacement therapy to estrogen and progesterone receptor status in invasive breast carcinoma.Cancer. 2004; 101: 1490-1500
- Effect of clinical trial publicity on HRT prescribing in Ireland.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2006; 62: 307-310
- Risk factors for breast cancer according to estrogen and progesterone receptor status.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004; 96: 218-228
- Reproductive factors and breast cancer risk according to joint estrogen and progesterone receptor status: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studies.Breast Cancer Res. 2006; 8: R43
- Associations of breast cancer risk factors with tumor subtypes: a pooled analysis from the Breast Cancer Association Consortium studies.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 250-263
- The prevalence and trends in overweight and obesity in Irish adults between 1990 and 2011.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 2389-2397
- Biologic characteristics of interval and screen-detected breast cancers.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000; 92: 743-749
- Breast tumor characteristics as predictors of mammographic detection: comparison of interval- and screen-detected cancers.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999; 91: 2020-2028
- Parity and lactation in relation to estrogen receptor negative breast cancer in African American women.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011; 20: 1883-1891
- Important role of menarche in development of estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer in African American women.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015; 107
- On the avoidability of breast cancer in industrialized societies: older mean age at first birth as an indicator of excess breast cancer risk.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008; 111: 297-302
- Associations of parity-related reproductive histories with ER+/− and HER2+/− receptor-specific breast cancer aetiology.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 373
- Asian ethnicity and breast cancer subtypes: a study from the California Cancer Registry.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 127: 471-478
- Estrogen receptor testing of breast cancer in current clinical practice: what's the question?.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 1797-1799
- American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for immunohistochemical testing of estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2784-2795
- Breast cancer incidence, 1980-2006: combined roles of menopausal hormone therapy, screening mammography, and estrogen receptor status.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007; 99: 1152-1161
- Monitoring care of female breast cancer patients in N. Ireland diagnosed 2012 with comparisons 1996, 2001 and 2006.N Ireland Cancer Registry 2015, 2015 (Available at:)
- Trends in breast cancer aggressiveness before the introduction of mass screening in southeastern Netherlands 1975–1989.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2002; 73: 199-206
☆Study presentation: This study was presented at the Irish Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2017 and the American Association of Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2017.