- •Pictilisib is a potent class I pan-PI3K inhibitor.
- •The pictilisib combination treatments were feasible from a safety perspective.
- •No drug–drug interactions were observed in the combination treatment regimens.
- •Encouraging preliminary anti-tumour activity was observed.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- World cancer report 2014.International Agency for Research on Cancer (WHO), Lyon, France2014
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the lung: molecular subtypes and therapeutic opportunities.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 2443-2451
- Systemic therapy for stage IV non-small-cell lung cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline update.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 3488-3515
- NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology (NCCN guidelines®): non-small cell lung cancer. Version 4. 2016 (Available from:)
- Metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC): ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25 (iii27–39)
Approved drugs. Pembrolizumab (KEYTRUDA) checkpoint inhibitor. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnDrugs/ApprovedDrugs/ucm526430.htm.
SEER cancer statistics review 1975-2013. Table 15.14. non-small cell cancer of the lung and bronchus (invasive): 5-year relative and period survival by race, sex, diagnosis year, age and stage at diagnosis. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2013/browse_csr.php?sectionSEL=15&pageSEL=sect_15_table.14.html.
- Targeting PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway in non small cell lung cancer.Biochem Pharmacol. 2014; 90: 197-207
- The identification of 2-(1H-indazol-4-yl)-6-(4-methanesulfonyl-piperazin-1-ylmethyl)-4-morpholin-4-yl-thieno[3,2-d]pyrimidine (GDC-0941) as a potent, selective, orally bioavailable inhibitor of class I PI3 kinase for the treatment of cancer.J Med Chem. 2008; 51: 5522-5532
- Predictive biomarkers of sensitivity to the phosphatidylinositol 3' kinase inhibitor GDC-0941 in breast cancer preclinical models.Clin Cancer Res. 2010; 16: 3670-3683
- Phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K) pathway alterations are associated with histologic subtypes and are predictive of sensitivity to PI3K inhibitors in lung cancer preclinical models.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 6771-6783
- First-in-human phase I study of pictilisib (GDC-0941), a potent pan-class I phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase (PI3K) inhibitor, in patients with advanced solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 77-86
- Common terminology criteria for adverse events (CTCAE). Version 3.0. 2009 (Available from:)
- Exploratory assessment of the drug-drug interaction (DDI) risk using SIMCYP and population PK simulation for the pan-phosphatidylinositide-3 kinase (PI3K) inhibitor GDC-0941, a potential CYP2C8 inhibitor. American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (ASCPT) annual meeting.2011 (Abstract and poster presentation PI-38)
- Population pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of paclitaxel and carboplatin in ovarian cancer patients: a study by the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer-pharmacology and molecular mechanisms group and new drug development group.Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13: 6410-6418
- A phase II trial of pictilisib with chemotherapy in first-line non-squamous NSCLC. World Conference on Lung Cancer.2015 (Poster presentation 1432)
- A phase II trial of pictilisib with chemotherapy in first-line squamous NSCLC. World Conference on Lung Cancer.2015 (Poster presentation 1653)
- Pictilisib for oestrogen receptor-positive, aromatase inhibitor-resistant, advanced or metastatic breast cancer (FERGI): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 811-821
- Pictilisib PI3Kinase inhibitor (a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase [PI3K] inhibitor) plus paclitaxel for the treatment of hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, locally recurrent, or metastatic breast cancer: interim analysis of the multicentre, placebo-controlled, phase II randomised PEGGY study.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 2059-2066
- PI3K and cancer: lessons, challenges and opportunities.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2014; 13: 140-156
- Targeting PI3K in cancer: any good news?.Front Oncol. 2014; 3: 1-9
- Development of PI3K inhibitors: lessons learned from early clinical trials.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2013; 10: 143-153