- •Evaluation of buparlisib–lapatinib combination in resistant HER2-positive advanced breast cancer.
- •We examined the safety and tolerance and proposed a recommended phase II dose.
- •No significant pharmacokinetic drug–drug interaction was found.
- •Preliminary evidence of clinical activity was observed.
Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)/AKT/mammalian target of rapamycin pathway is frequently activated in HER2-positive breast cancer and may play a major role in resistance to trastuzumab. Buparlisib is a pan-class-I PI3K inhibitor with potent and selective activity against wild-type and mutant PI3K p110 isoforms.
Patients and methods
PIKHER2 phase IB study aimed primarily to determine a maximum tolerated dose (MTD) and propose a recommended phase II dose (RP2D) for buparlisib in combination with lapatinib in HER2-positive, trastuzumab-resistant, advanced breast cancer. Oral buparlisib (40, 60 or 80 mg) and lapatinib (750, 1000 or 1250 mg) were administered daily. A modified continuous reassessment method using an adaptive Bayesian model guided the dose escalation of both agents. Secondary end-points included antitumour activity and pharmacokinetic (PK) assessments.
A total of 24 patients were treated across five dose levels. Dose-limiting toxicities included transaminases elevation, vomiting, stomatitis, hyperglycemia and diarrhoea. MTD was declared at buparlisib 80 mg/d + lapatinib 1250 mg/d, but toxicities and early treatment discontinuation rate beyond cycle 1 led to select buparlisib 80 mg + lapatinib 1000 mg/d as the RP2D. Main drug-related adverse events included diarrhoea, nausea, skin rash, asthenia, depression, anxiety and transaminases increase. There was no significant evidence for drug–drug PK interaction. Disease control rate was 79% [95% confidence interval [CI] 57–92%], one patient obtained a complete remission, and six additional patients experienced stable disease for ≥ 24 weeks (clinical benefit rate of 29% [95% CI 12–51%]).
Combining buparlisib and lapatinib in HER2-positive trastuzumab-resistant advanced breast cancer was feasible. Preliminary evidence of antitumour activity was observed in this heavily pre-treated population.
Trial registration ID
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Human breast cancer: correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the HER-2/neu oncogene.Science. 1987; 235: 177-182
- Use of chemotherapy plus a monoclonal antibody against HER2 for metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses HER2.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 783-792
- Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast cancer: planned joint analysis of overall survival from NSABP B-31 and NCCTG N9831.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3744-3752
- Lapatinib plus capecitabine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 2733-2743
- Pertuzumab plus trastuzumab plus docetaxel for metastatic breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 109-119
- Trastuzumab emtansine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1783-1791
- Breast cancer-associated PIK3CA mutations are oncogenic in mammary epithelial cells.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 10992-11000
- A functional genetic Identifies the PI3K pathway as a major determinant of trastuzumab resistance in breast cancer.Cancer Cell. 2007; 12: 395-402
- PIK3CA mutations are associated with decreased benefit to neoadjuvant human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-targeted therapies in breast cancer.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 1334-1339
- Dual mTORC1/2 and HER2 blockade results in antitumor activity in preclinical models of breast cancer resistant to anti-HER2 therapy.Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 2603-2612
- The PI3 kinase/mTOR blocker NVP-BEZ235 overrides resistance against irreversible ErbB inhibitors in breast cancer cells.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 129: 387-400
- Identification and characterization of NVP-BKM120, an orally available pan-class I PI3-kinase inhibitor.Mol Cancer Ther. 2012; 11: 317-328
- Phase I, dose-escalation study of BKM120, an oral pan-class I PI3K inhibitor, in patients with advanced solid tumors.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 282-290
- Stand up to cancer phase Ib study of pan-phosphoinositide-3-kinase inhibitor buparlisib with letrozole in estrogen receptor-positive/human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-negative metastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 1202-1209
- Phase Ib study of Buparlisib plus Trastuzumab in patients with HER2-positive advanced or metastatic breast cancer that has progressed on trastuzumab-based therapy.Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 1935-1945
- A phase I trial of BKM120 (buparlisib) in combination with fulvestrant in postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer.Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 1583-1591
- Activated phosphoinositide 3-kinase/AKT signaling confers resistance to trastuzumab but not lapatinib.Mol Cancer Ther. 2010; 9: 1489-1502
- Towards new methods for the determination of dose limiting toxicities and the assessment of the recommended dose for further studies of molecularly targeted agents – dose-limiting toxicity and Toxicity Assessment Recommendation Group for Early Trials of Targeted therapies, an European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer-led study.Eur J Cancer. 2014; 50: 2040-2049
- Randomized study of lapatinib alone or in combination with trastuzumab in women with ErbB2-positive, trastuzumab-refractory metastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1124-1130
- Multicenter phase II study of lapatinib in patients with brain metastases from HER2-positive breast cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 1452-1459
- Lapatinib plus capecitabine in patients with previously untreated brain metastases from HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (LANDSCAPE): a single-group phase 2 study.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 64-71
- Multiorgan metastasis of human HER-2+ breast cancer in Rag2-/-; Il2rg-/- mice and treatment with PI3K inhibitor.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e39626
- Genomic characterization of brain metastases reveals branched evolution and potential therapeutic targets.Cancer Discov. 2015; 5: 1164-1177
- Combination inhibition of PI3K and mTORC1 yields durable remissions in mice bearing orthotopic patient-derived xenografts of HER2-positive breast cancer brain metastases.Nat Med. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1038/nm.4120
- Molecular alterations and everolimus efficacy in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancers: combined exploratory biomarker analysis from BOLERO-1 and BOLERO-3.J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 2115-2124
- Abstract S4-07: BELLE-3: a phase III study of buparlisib + fulvestrant in postmenopausal women with HR+, HER2–, aromatase inhibitor-treated, locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer, who progressed on or after mTOR inhibitor-based treatment.Cancer Res. 2017; 77 (S4–07–S4–07)
- Buparlisib plus fulvestrant versus placebo plus fulvestrant in postmenopausal, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (BELLE-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 904-916
- Everolimus for women with trastuzumab-resistant, HER2-positive, advanced breast cancer (BOLERO-3): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 580-591
- Combination of everolimus with trastuzumab plus paclitaxel as first-line treatment for patients with HER2-positive advanced breast cancer (BOLERO-1): a phase 3, randomised, double-blind, multicentre trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 816-829
Published online: September 23, 2017
Accepted: August 23, 2017
Received in revised form: August 22, 2017
Received: June 26, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.