- •In women at familial risk and no known mutations, we estimate a breast cancer (BC) rate of 12 per 1000 woman-years.
- •BC rate increased from 5.1 per 1000 in women <40 years to 21 per 1000 in women >50 years.
- •Mammography sensitivity ranged from 51% in women <40 to 67% in women ≥50 years.
- •Adjunct magnetic resonance imaging increased sensitivity by 43% but decreased specificity by 15%.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hereditary breast cancer: part I. Diagnosing hereditary breast cancer syndromes.Breast J. 2008; 14: 3-13
- Autosomal dominant inheritance of early-onset breast cancer. Implications for risk prediction.Cancer. 1994; 73: 643-651
- Risk estimation for healthy women from breast cancer families: new insights and new strategies.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004; 13: 87-93
- Familial breast cancer: classification, care and managing breast cancer and related risks in people with a family history of breast cancer.2013https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg164Date accessed: May 19, 2017
- Richtlijn mammacarcinoom (Breast Cancer National Guideline).2012http://www.oncoline.nl/breastcancerDate accessed: May 19, 2017
- Prospective multicenter cohort study to refine management recommendations for women at elevated familial risk of breast cancer: the EVA trial.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1450-1457
- Mammography, breast ultrasound, and magnetic resonance imaging for surveillance of women at high familial risk for breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 8469-8476
- Screening with magnetic resonance imaging and mammography of a UK population at high familial risk of breast cancer: a prospective multicentre cohort study (MARIBS).Lancet. 2005; 365: 1769-1778
- Screening women at high risk for breast cancer with mammography and magnetic resonance imaging.Cancer. 2005; 103: 1898-1905
- Cancer yield of mammography, MR, and US in high-risk women: prospective multi-institution breast cancer screening study.Radiology. 2007; 244: 381-388
- Triple-modality screening trial for familial breast cancer underlines the importance of magnetic resonance imaging and questions the role of mammography and ultrasound regardless of patient mutation status, age, and breast density.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 1128-1135
- BRCA1-associated breast cancers present differently from BRCA2-associated and familial cases: long-term follow-up of the Dutch MRISC screening study.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 5265-5273
- Multicenter surveillance of women at high genetic breast cancer risk using mammography, ultrasonography, and contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (the high breast cancer risk Italian 1 study): final results.Investig Radiol. 2011; 46: 94-105
- Comparison of breast magnetic resonance imaging, mammography, and ultrasound for surveillance of women at high risk for hereditary breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 3524-3531
- Multimodality breast cancer screening in women with a familial or genetic predisposition.Curr Oncol. 2010; 17: 28-36
- Contribution of mammography to MRI screening in BRCA mutation carriers by BRCA status and age: individual patient data meta-analysis.Br J Cancer. 2016; 114: 631-637
- Magnetic resonance imaging improves breast screening sensitivity in BRCA mutation carriers age >/= 50 Years: evidence from an individual patient data meta-analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 33: 349-356
- Multimodality screening of high-risk women: a prospective cohort study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 6124-6128
- Combined screening with ultrasound and mammography vs mammography alone in women at elevated risk of breast cancer.JAMA. 2008; 299: 2151-2163
- Comparative effectiveness of breast MRI and mammography in screening young women with elevated risk of developing breast cancer: a retrospective cohort study.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016; 158: 583-589
- The potential of multiparametric MRI of the breast.Br J Radiol. 2017; 90: 20160715
- Fast and noninvasive characterization of suspicious lesions detected at breast cancer X-ray screening: capability of diffusion-weighted MR imaging with MIPs.Radiology. 2016; 278: 689-697
- ACR BI-RADS® Atlas, breast imaging reporting and data system.(Reston, VA)2013
- Integration of 3D digital mammography with tomosynthesis for population breast-cancer screening (STORM): a prospective comparison study.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 583-589
- Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 1105-1113
- Recent trends in incidence of five common cancers in 26 European countries since 1988: analysis of the European Cancer Observatory.Eur J Cancer. 2015; 51: 1164-1187
- Breast cancer in Canadian, 2016.2017http://www.cbcf.org/ontario/AboutBreastCancerMain/FactsStats/Pages/Breast-Cancer-Canada.aspxDate accessed: July 14, 2017