- •Margin policy is varied across the United Kingdom (UK) and Ireland with greater variation for ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), than for invasive disease.
- •Only 4% of UK breast units follow the Society of Surgical Oncology and American Society for Radiation Oncology's (SSO-ASTRO) consensus guidelines for margins.
- •The national re-excision rate in this study is 17.2%.
- •Adopting a uniform national margin policy will result in a modest reduction in re-excision rate to 15%.
- •The majority (65%) of re-excisions are for tumour at the inked margin rather than for close margins.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Cancer Research UK. Lifetime risk of cancer n.d. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/risk/lifetime-risk#ref-2 [accessed 20 April 2017].
- Breast-conserving therapy vs mastectomy in early-stage breast cancer: a meta-analysis of 10-year survival.Cancer J Sci Am. 1997; 3: 6-12
- Eighteen-year results in the treatment of early breast carcinoma with mastectomy versus breast conservation therapy: the National Cancer Institute Randomized Trial.Cancer. 2003; 98: 697-702https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11580
- Late local recurrences in a randomised trial comparing conservative treatment with total mastectomy in early breast cancer patients.Ann Oncol. 2003; 14: 1617-1622https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdg452
- Long-term results of breast conserving surgery vs. mastectomy for early stage invasive breast cancer: 20-year follow-up of the Danish randomized DBCG-82TM protocol.Acta Oncol. 2008; 47: 672-681https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860801971439
- Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing breast-conserving therapy with mastectomy: European organization for research and treatment of cancer 10801 trial 4606.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000; 92: 1143-1150
- Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized trial comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1233-1241https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa020128
- Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized study comparing breast-conserving surgery with radical mastectomy for early breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1227-1232https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa020989
- Quality of life following breast-conserving therapy or mastectomy: results of a 5-year prospective study.Breast J. 2004; 10: 223-231https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2004.21323.x
- Comparison of psychological aspects and patient satisfaction following breast conserving surgery, simple mastectomy and breast reconstruction.Eur J Cancer. 2000; 36: 1938-1943https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(00)00197-0
- Seroma formation after surgery for breast cancer.World J Surg Oncol. 2004; 2: 44https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-2-44
- Seroma formation following breast cancer surgery.Breast J. 2003; 9: 385-388
- Effects of radiotherapy and of differences in the extent of surgery for early breast cancer on local recurrence and 15-year survival: An overview of the randomised trials.Lancet. 2005; 366: 2087-2106https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67887-7
- A randomized clinical trial evaluating sequential methotrexate and fluorouracil in the treatment of patients with node-negative breast cancer who have estrogen-receptor-negative tumors.N Engl J Med. 1989; 320: 473-478https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198902233200801
- Five versus more than five years of tamoxifen therapy for breast cancer patients with negative lymph nodes and estrogen receptor-positive tumors.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1996; 88: 1529-1542https://doi.org/10.1016/S1278-3218(97)80011-X
- The association of surgical margins and local recurrence in women with early-stage invasive breast cancer treated with breast-conserving therapy: a meta-analysis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 717-730https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-014-3480-5
- Society of Surgical Oncology-American Society for Radiation Oncology consensus guideline on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole-breast irradiation in stages I and II invasive breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21: 704-716
Association of Breast Surgery ABS Consensus Margin Width in Breast Conservation Surgery 2015. www.associationofbreastsurgery.org.uk (accessed 22 June 2017).
- Society of Surgical Oncology-American Society for Radiation Oncology-American Society of Clinical Oncology consensus guideline on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole-breast irradiation in ductal carcinoma in situ.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2016; 6: 287-295https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prro.2016.06.011
- Early and locally advanced breast cancer: diagnosis and treatment. NICE guideline (CG80), 2009
- Increased Risk of Surgical Site Infection Among Breast-Conserving Surgery Re-excisions.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 2003-2009https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-014-4200-x
- Reoperation rates after breast conserving surgery for breast cancer among women in England: retrospective study of hospital episode statistics.BMJ. 2012; 345: e4505https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e4505
- Cost analysis of a surgical consensus guideline in breast-conserving surgery.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 225: 294-301https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2017.03.020
- National Margins Audit: a study looking at excision margins and outcomes in DCIS and invasive breast cancer [Online].London Surgical Research Group, London2016[accessed 20 April 2017])
- Surgical research collaboratives in the UK.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1091-1092https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62013-9
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) – A metadata driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010.Research
- A randomized, controlled trial of cavity shave margins in breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 503-510https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1504473
- Reexcision surgery for breast cancer: an analysis of the American Society of Breast Surgeons (ASBrS) MasterySM database following the SSO-ASTRO “No Ink on Tumor” guidelines.Ann Surg Oncol. 2017; 24: 52-58https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-016-5516-5
- Early adoption of the SSO-ASTRO consensus guidelines on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole-breast irradiation in stage I and II invasive breast cancer: initial experience from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 3239-3246
- Excision margins in breast conservation therapy (BCT) – The effect of the Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) and American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) consensus on our practice.EJSO. 2016; (EJSO 2016;42): S35-S36
- Reoperation rates in ductal carcinoma in situ vs invasive breast cancer after wire-guided breast-conserving surgery.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 378-384https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2016.4751
- Histological multifocality of Tis, T1-1 breast carcinomas: implications of clinical trials of breast conserving surgery.Cancer. 1985; 56: 979-990
- Association between underestimation of tumour size by imaging and incomplete excision in breast-conserving surgery for breast cancer.Br J Surg. 2016; 103: 830-838https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.10126
- Reducing the margins of error during breast-conserving surgery: disruptive technologies or traditional disruptions?.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 517-518
- Diagnostic accuracy of intraoperative techniques for margin assessment in breast cancer surgery.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 300-310https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000001897
- Impact of frozen section margin analysis on reoperation rates in women undergoing lumpectomy for breast cancer: evaluation of the NSQIP data.Surgery. 2014; 156: 190-197https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2014.03.025
- MarginProbe: intraoperative margin assessment during breast conserving surgery by using radiofrequency spectroscopy.Expert Rev Med Devices. 2013; 10: 301-315https://doi.org/10.1586/erd.13.5
- Intra-operative assessment of excised breast tumour margins using ClearEdge imaging device.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016; 42: 1834-1840https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.07.141
- Rapid evaporative ionisation mass spectrometry of electrosurgical vapours for the identification of breast pathology: towards an intelligent knife for breast cancer surgery.Breast Cancer Res. 2017; 19: 59https://doi.org/10.1186/s13058-017-0845-2