- •Based on evidence-based guidelines, half of all cancer patients need radiotherapy.
- •Cancer Registry and reimbursement data defined actual and advised radiotherapy.
- •Compared to the guidelines, radiotherapy is underutilised in Belgium.
- •Patient and tumour characteristics influence the gap between optimal and actual.
- •Actual practice aligns to advices given at multidisciplinary cancer team (MDT) meetings.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Expanding global access to radiotherapy.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 1153-1186
- The role of radiotherapy in cancer treatment: estimating optional utilization from a review of the evidence-based clinical guidelines.Cancer. 2005; 104: 1129-1137
- Estimating the demand for radiotherapy from the evidence: a review of changes from 2003 to 2012.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 112: 140-144
- The impact of cancer incidence and stage on optimal utilization of radiotherapy: methodology of a population-based analysis by the ESTRO-HERO group.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 116: 45-50
- The optimal utilization proportion of external beam radiotherapy in European countries: an ESTRO-HERO analysis.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 116: 38-44
- The need for radiotherapy in Europe in 2020: not only data but also a cancer plan.Acta Oncol. 2015; 54: 1268-1274
RijksinstituutvoorZiekte- en InvaliditeitsVerzekering/Institut National d'AssuranceMaladie-Invalidité. https://www.riziv.fgov.be/webprd/appl/pnomen/Search.aspx?lg=N [Accessed 16 December 2016].
- Radiotherapy staffing in the European countries: final results from the ESTRO-HERO survey.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 112: 178-186
- Radiotherapy equipment and departments in the European countries: final results from the ESTRO-HERO survey.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 112: 155-164
- EUR-ASSESS Project Subgroup Report on dissemination and impact.Intern J Technol Assess Health Care. 1997; 13: 220-286
- Measuring factors affecting implementation of health innovations: a systematic review of structural, organizational, provider, patient, and innovation level measures.Implement Sci. 2013; 8: 22
- A comparison of evidence-based estimates and empirical benchmarks of the appropriate rate of use of radiation therapy in Ontario.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 1099-1107
- Estimating the need for radiotherapy for patients with prostate, breast, and lung cancers: verification of model estimates of need with radiotherapy utilization data from British Columbia.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 1507-1515
- Towards evidence-based guidelines for radiotherapy infrastructure and staffing needs in Europe: the ESTRO QUARTS project.Radiother Oncol. 2005; 75: 355-365
- Demand for radiotherapy in Spain.Clin Transl Oncol. 2017; 19: 204-210
- Radiotherapy demand and activity in England 2006–2020.Clin Oncol. 2013; 25: 522-530
- Use of radiotherapy in the primary treatment of cancer in South Australia.Australas Radiol. 2003; 47: 161-167
- A decade of investment in radiotherapy in New South Wales: why does the gap between optimal and actual persist?.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2011; 55: 433-441
- Determining the need and utilization of radiotherapy in cancers of the breast, cervix, lung, prostate and rectum: a population level study.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 122: 152-158
- Utilization of radiation therapy in Norway after the implementation of the national cancer plan – a national, population-based study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: 707-714
- Characterization and adequacy of the use of radiotherapy and its trend in time.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 106: 260-265
- A prospective survey of radiotherapy practice 2001 in Sweden.Acta Oncol. 2003; 42: 387-410
- Referral rates and trends in radiotherapy as part of primary treatment of cancer in South Netherlands, 1988–2002.Radiother Oncol. 2006; 78: 131-137
- Use of primary radiotherapy for rectal cancer in The Netherlands between 1997 and 2008: apopulation-based study.Clin Oncol. 2012; 24: e1-e8
- Mapping use of radiotherapy for patients with non-small cell lung cancer in The Netherlands between 1997 and 2008.Clin Oncol. 2012; 24: e46-e53
- A population-based study on the utilisation rate of primary radiotherapy for prostate cancer in 4 regions in The Netherlands, 1997–2008.Radiother Oncol. 2011; 99: 207-211
- An increased utilisation rate and better compliance to guidelines for primary radiotherapy for breast cancer from 1997 till 2008: a population-based study in The Netherlands.Radiother Oncol. 2011; 100: 320-325
- The effect of travel distance on radiotherapy utilization in NSW and ACT.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 117: 386-389
- Utilisation of radiotherapy in rural and urban areas in British Columbia compared with evidence-based estimates of radiotherapy needs for patients with breast, prostate and lung cancer.Clin Oncol. 2010; 22: 526-532
- Planning of radiotherapy capacity and productivity.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 106: 266-270
- How many new cancer patients in Europe will require raiotherapy by 2025? An ESTRO-HERO analysis.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 119: 5-11
- Effects of age and comorbidity on treatment and survival of patients with muscle invasive bladder cancer.Int J Cancer. 2014; 135: 905-912
- Hospital variation in referral for primary radiotherapy in South Netherlands, 1988–1999.Eur J Cancer. 2005; 41: 2722-2727
- Barriers to radiotherapy utilization: consumer perceptions of issues influencing radiotherapy-related decisions.Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1111/ajco.12579
- Quality indicators for the management of lung cancer. Health Services Research (HSR) Brussels: Belgian Health Care Knowledge Centre (KCE).2016 (KCE Reports 266. D/2016/10.273/39)
- Estimation of the optimal brachytherapy utilization rate in the treatment of carcinoma of the uterine cervix: review of clinical practice guidelines and primary evidence.Cancer. 2006; 107: 2932-2941
- Disparities in standard of care treatment and associated survival decrement in patients with locally advanced cervical cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2016; 143: 319-325
- Effect of radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery on 10-year recurrence and 15-year breast cancer death: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 10,801 women in 17 randomised trials.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1707-1716
- Effect of radiotherapy after mastectomy and axillary surgery on 10-year recurrence and 20-year breast cancer mortality: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 8135 women in 22 randomised trials.Lancet. 2014; 383: 2127-2135
- Swedish Rectal Cancer Trial: long lasting benefits from radiotherapy on survival and local recurrence rate.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 5644-5650
- Preoperative radiotherapy combined with total mesorectal excision for resectable rectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 638-646