- •This study evaluated the impact of nutrition interventions to control weight loss in upper gastrointestinal cancer patients.
- •Home enteral nutrition and nutritional counselling after major surgery are compared.
- •The effects of nutrition interventions are evaluated for 6 months.
- •Home enteral nutrition limited weight loss and increased the chance to complete chemotherapy.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- Nutritional status affects treatment tolerability and survival in metastatic colorectal cancer patients: results of an AGEO prospective multicenter study.Oncology. 2011; 81: 395-402
- Malnutrition at the time of surgery affects negatively the clinical outcome of critically ill patients with gastrointestinal cancer.Med Arch. 2014; 68: 263-267
- Importance of early nutritional screening in patients with gastric cancer.Br J Nutr. 2011; 106: 1773-1778
- Prevalence, risk factors and clinical implications of malnutrition in French Comprehensive Cancer Centres.Br J Cancer. 2010; 102: 966-971
- Malnutrition is high and underestimated during chemotherapy in gastrointestinal cancer: an AGEO prospective cross-sectional multicenter study.Nutr Cancer. 2012; 64: 535-542
- Euro-Impact. Validation of the consensus-definition for cancer cachexia and evaluation of a classification model–a study based on data from an international multicentre project (EPCRC-CSA).Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 1635-1642
- Diagnostic criteria for the classification of cancer-associated weight loss.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 90-99
- A randomised controlled trial evaluating the use of enteral nutritional supplements postoperatively in malnourished surgical patients.Gut. 2000; 46: 813-818
- Gastrointestinal symptoms and weight loss in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.Br J Nutr. 2013; 109: 894-897
- Nutritional support in patients with colorectal cancer during chemotherapy: does it work?.Hepatogastroenterology. 2013; 60: 475-480
- Early recognition of malnutrition and cachexia in the cancer patient: a position paper of a European School of Oncology Task Force.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 1492-1499
- ESPEN guidelines on parenteral nutrition: non-surgical oncology.Clin Nutr. 2009; 28: 445-454
- Nutritional risk screening (NRS 2002): a new method based on an analysis of controlled clinical trials.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 321-336
- The postoperative clinical outcomes and safety of early enteral nutrition in operated gastric cancer patients.J BUON. 2015; 20: 468-472
- Early enteral nutrition after total gastrectomy for gastric cancer.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2014; 23: 607-611
- Nutrition support can bring survival benefit to high nutrition risk gastric cancer patients who received chemotherapy.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 1933-1939
- A longitudinal study investigating quality of life and nutritional outcomes in advanced cancer patients receiving home parenteral nutrition.BMC Cancer. 2014; 14: 593
- Home artificial nutrition in advanced cancer patients.Tumori. 2013; 99: 218-224
- Managing the patient journey through enteral nutritional care.Clin Nutr. 2006; 25: 187-195
Food composition database for epidemiological studies in Italy by Gnagnarella P, Salvini S, Parpinel M. Version 1.2015 Website http://www.bda-ieo.it/. Accessed December 2015.
- Re-validation and shortening of the Functional Assessment Of Anorexia/Cachexia Therapy (FAACT) questionnaire.Qual Life Res. 2000; 9: 1137-1146
Van Buuren S, Oudshoorn CGM. Multivariate imputation by chained equations: MICE v.1.0 user's manual. TNO Report PG/VGZ/00.038, 2000. Multiple Imputation Online. Available at: www.stefvanbuuren.nl/mi/. Accessed December 2015.
- Multiple imputation for nonresponse in surveys.Wiley, New York1987 (Schafer JL. Multiple imputation: a primer. Stat Meth Med Res 1999; 8: 3–15)
- Flexible regression models with cubic splines.Stat Med. 1989; 8: 551-561
- Simple nutritional intervention in patients with advanced cancers of the gastrointestinal tract, non-small celllung cancers or mesothelioma and weight loss receiving chemotherapy: a randomised controlled trial.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2011; 24: 431-440
- Health-related quality of life in patients with home nutritional support.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2009; 22: 219-225
- Effect of early oral feeding after gastric cancer surgery: a result of randomized clinical trial.Surgery. 2011; 149: 561-568
- Allowing normal food at will after major upper gastrointestinal surgery does not increase morbidity: a randomized multicenter trial.Ann Surg. 2008; 247: 721-729