- •Until now, only three prospective trials showed the safety and efficacy of bendamustine–rituximab (BR) in previously untreated patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL).
- •The present study is the first to assess safety and efficacy of BR in a large cohort of patients with untreated CLL, outside of controlled clinical trials.
- •The results of our BR ‘real-life’ experience study are in good agreement with those obtained in three prospective primary studies, although some differences in terms of safety were evident. Thus, it seems that BR also achieves similar results in terms of outcome end-points in previously untreated CLL patients outside of controlled clinical trials.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- Early results of a chemoimmunotherapy regimen of fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab as initial therapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 4079-4088
- Chemoimmunotherapy with fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab for relapsed and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 4070-4078
- Rituximab plus fludarabine and cyclophosphamide prolongs progression-free survival compared with fludarabine and cyclophosphamide alone in previously treated chronic lymphocytic leukemia.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1756-1765
- Addition of rituximab to fludarabine and cyclophosphamide in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1164-1174
- An old drug with a new future: bendamustine in multiple myeloma.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2013; 14: 2263-2280
- Phase III randomized study of bendamustine compared with chlorambucil in previously untreated patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 4378-4384
- Bendamustine combined with rituximab in patients with relapsed and/or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a multicenter phase II trial of the German chronic lymphocytic leukemia study group.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 3559-3566
- Bendamustine with or without rituximab in the treatment of relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: an Italian retrospective study.Br J Haematol. 2011; 153: 351-357
- Bendamustine in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: outcome according to different clinical and biological prognostic factors in the everyday clinical practice.Am J Hematol. 2013; 88: 955-960
- Bendamustine in combination with rituximab for previously untreated patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a multicenter phase II trial of the German Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Study Group.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3209-3216
- Frontline chemoimmunotherapy with fludarabine (F), cyclophosphamide (C), and rituximab (R) (FCR) shows superior efficacy in comparison to bendamustine (B) and rituximab (BR) in previously untreated and physically fit patients (pts) with advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL): final analysis of an International, Randomized Study of the German CLL Study Group (GCLLSG) (CLL10 Study).Blood (ASH Annual Meeting). 2014; 124 (abstr 19)
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a report from the international workshop on chronic lymphocytic leukemia updating the National Cancer Institute-working group 1996 guidelines.Blood. 2008; 111: 5446-5456
- Definition of progression risk based on combinations of cellular and molecular markers in patients with Binet stage A chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.Br J Haematol. 2009; 146: 44-53
- Genomic aberrations and survival in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 1910-1916
- Unmutated Ig V(H) genes are associated with a more aggressive form of chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Blood. 1999; 94: 1848-1854
- Ig V gene mutation status and CD38 expression as novel prognostic indicators in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Blood. 1999; 94: 1840-1847
- Rituximab in combination with bendamustine or chlorambucil for the treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: primary results from the randomised phase IIIb MABLE study.Leuk Lymphoma (XVI International Workshop on CLL). 2015; (Suppl. 1: abstr 178)
- Bendamustine in combination with rituximab for elderly patients with previously untreated B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a retrospective analysis of real-life practice in Italian hematology departments.Leuk Res. 2015; 39: 1066-1070
- Comparison of three methods for estimating rates of adverse events and rates of preventable adverse events in acute care hospitals.Br Med J. 2004; 328: 199-202
- Impact of dose intensity on outcome of fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab regimen given in the first-line therapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Haematologica. 2013; 98: 65-70
- Efficacy and safety of front-line therapy with fludarabine-cyclophosphamide-rituximab regimen for chronic lymphocytic leukemia outside clinical trials: the Israeli CLL study group experience.Haematologica. 2015; 100: 662-669
- Molecular prediction of durable remission after first-line fludarabine-cyclophosphamide-rituximab in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Blood. 2015; 126: 1921-1924
- Ibrutinib, idelalisib and obinutuzumab for the treatment of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: three new arrows aiming at the target.Leuk Lymphoma. 2015; 56: 3250-3256
- CLL2-BIG – a novel treatment regimen of bendamustine followed by GA101 and ibrutinib followed by ibrutinib and GA101 maintenance in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL): interim results of a phase II-trial.Blood (ASH Annual Meeting). 2015; 126: 4151
Efficacy and safety of idelalisib in combination with bendamustine and rituximab in subjects with previously untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01980888.
Sequential regimen of bendamustine-debulking followed by ABT-199 and GA101-induction and -maintenance in CLL (CLL2-BAG). Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02401503.
- Ibrutinib combined with bendamustine and rituximab compared with placebo, bendamustine, and rituximab for previously treated chronic lymphocytic leukaemia or small lymphocytic lymphoma (HELIOS): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 study.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 200-211
- Idelalisib plus bendamustine and rituximab (BR) is superior to br alone in patients with relapsed/refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: results of a phase 3 randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study.Blood (ASH Annual Meeting). 2015; 126 (abs LBA-5)
- Obinutuzumab plus chlorambucil in patients with CLL and coexisting conditions.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1101-1110
- Chlorambucil plus ofatumumab verses chlorambucil alone in previously untreated patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (COMPLEMENT 1): a randomised, multicentre, open-label phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2015; 85: 1873-1883
- Bendamustine and rituximab combination in the management of chronic lymphocytic leukemia-associated autoimmune hemolytic anemia: a multicentric retrospective study of the French CLL intergroup (GCFLLC/MW and GOELAMS).Am J Hematol. 2015; 90: 204-207