- •The bilateral salpingectomy (BS) reduces the risk of ovarian cancer (OC) by 49%.
- •The BS is an effective measure to reduce OC risk in the general population.
- •The BS could avoid the development of a consecutive tubal pathology.
- •The BS did not have any short-term deleterious effects on ovarian reserve.
- •The BS should be considered for women requiring hysterectomy with benign indications.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- Cancer statistics, 2012.CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2012; 62: 10-29
- Ovarian cancer risk after salpingectomy: a nationwide population-based study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Jan 27; 107 (Print 2015 Feb)https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/dju410
- Short-term effects of salpingectomy during laparoscopic hysterectomy on ovarian reserve: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Fertility and sterility. 2013 Dec; 100: 1704-1708
- Dysplastic changes in prophylactically removed fallopian tubes of women predisposed to developing ovarian cancer.J Pathol. 2001 Nov; 195: 451-456
- Serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma: its potential role in primary peritoneal serous carcinoma and serous cancer prevention.J Clin Oncol. 2008 Sep 1; 26: 4160-4165
- Fallopian tube and primary peritoneal carcinomas associated with BRCA mutations.J Clin Oncol. 2003 Nov 15; 21: 4222-4227
- The genesis and evolution of high-grade serous ovarian cancer.Nat Rev Cancer. 2010 Nov; 10: 803-808
- Molecular pathogenesis and extraovarian origin of epithelial ovarian cancer—shifting the paradigm.Hum Pathol. 2011; 42: 918-931
- The role of the fallopian tube in ovarian cancer.Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2012 May; 10: 296-306
- A candidate precursor to serous carcinoma that originates in the distal fallopian tube.J Pathol. 2007 Jan; 211: 26-35
Mehrad M. A pathologist's road map to benign, precancerous, and malignant intraepithelial proliferations in the fallopian tube.
- Ovarian serous carcinoma: recent concepts on its origin and carcinogenesis.J Hematol Oncol. 2012 Mar 9; 5 (8722–5-8)
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology (MOOSE) group.JAMA. 2000 Apr 19; 283: 2008-2012
- PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009 Jul 21; 6: e1000097
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1. 0 [updated March 2011].The Cochrane Collaboration, 20112014)
- The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses.2000
- Laparoscopic versus open surgery for rectal cancer: a meta-analysis.Ann Surg Oncol. 2006 Mar; 13: 413-424
- Circumcision status and risk of HIV and sexually transmitted infections among men who have sex with men: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2008 Oct 8; 300: 1674-1684
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stat Med. 2002 Jun 15; 21: 1539-1558
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003 Sep 6; 327: 557-560
- Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias.Biometrics. 1994 Dec; 50: 1088-1101
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997 Sep 13; 315: 629-634
- A fail-safe N for effect size in meta-analysis.Journal of educational statistics. 1983; : 157-159
- Funnel plots for detecting bias in meta-analysis: guidelines on choice of axis.J Clin Epidemiol. 2001 Oct; 54: 1046-1055
- Systematic reviews in health care: investigating and dealing with publication and other biases in meta-analysis.BMJ. 2001 Jul 14; 323: 101-105
- Salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention.Obstetrics and gynecology. 2015 Jan; 125: 279-281
- Salpingectomy, why not?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 May; 210: 385-386
- Prophylactic and risk-reducing bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy: recommendations based on risk of ovarian cancer.Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Feb; 117 (author reply 404): 404
Advocating fallopian tube removal at the time of hysterectomy to prevent ovarian cancer [homepage on the Internet]. Available from: http://www.ovcare.ca/prevention/.
- Prophylactic salpingectomy in premenopausal women at low risk for ovarian cancer: risk-reducing or risky?.Fertil Steril. 2013 Dec; 100: 1530-1531
- The tubal hypothesis of ovarian cancer: caution needed.Lancet Oncol. 2011 Nov; 12: 1089-1091
- Salpingectomy to prevent ovarian cancer: a countercurrents series.Curr Oncol. 2013 Jun; 20: 145-147
- Fallopian tube removal: “Stic-ing” it to ovarian cancer: what is the utility of prophylactic tubal removal?.Curr Oncol. 2013 Jun; 20: 148-151
- Bilateral salpingectomy as a prophylaxis of malignancy in patients operated for benign gynecological conditions. Primary serous intraepithelial carcinoma of the fallopian tubes-case report.International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2013; 23 (1037-)
- The post-reproductive fallopian tube: better removed?.Hum Reprod. 2011 Nov; 26: 2918-2924
- Risk-reducing salpingectomy as preventative strategy for pelvic serous cancer.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013 Mar; 23: 417-421
- Lessons from BRCA: the tubal fimbria emerges as an origin for pelvic serous cancer.Clin Med Res. 2007 Mar; 5: 35-44
- Physician opinions regarding elective bilateral salpingectomy with hysterectomy and for sterilization.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2013 Jul-Aug; 20: 517-521
- Risk-reducing salpingectomy in low risk patients: assessing the impact of a novel request for surgical practice change.International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2012; 22 (E326-)
- Opportunistic bilateral salpingectomy during gynaecological surgery for benign disease: a survey of current Australian practice.International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2014; 24 (233-)
- Pathologic findings at risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy: primary results from gynecologic oncology group trial GOG-0199.J Clin Oncol. 2014 Oct 10; 32: 3275-3283
- Does bilateral salpingectomy with ovarian retention warrant consideration as a temporary bridge to risk-reducing bilateral oophorectomy in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jan; 204 (19.e1,19.e6)
- Should hysterectomy complement prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers?.Gynecol Oncol. 2014 Aug; 134: 219-221
- The impact of risk-reducing hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy on survival in patients with a history of breast cancer–a population-based data linkage study.Int J Cancer. 2014 May 1; 134: 2211-2222
- Hysterectomy with or without unilateral oophorectomy and risk of ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2005 May; 97: 318-322
- Characteristics relating to ovarian cancer risk: collaborative analysis of 12 US case-control studies. II. Invasive epithelial ovarian cancers in white women. Collaborative ovarian cancer group.Am J Epidemiol. 1992 Nov 15; 136: 1184-1203
- The fallopian tube: primary site of most pelvic high-grade serous carcinomas.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2009 Jan; 19: 58-64
Rice MS. Tubal ligation, hysterectomy, unilateral oophorectomy, and risk of ovarian cancer in the nurses' health studies.
- Tubal ligation, hysterectomy and ovarian cancer: a meta-analysis.J Ovarian Res. 2012 May 15; 5 (13, 2215–5-13)
- Tubal ligation, hysterectomy and epithelial ovarian cancer in the new England case-control study.Int J Cancer. 2013 Nov 15; 133: 2415-2421
- Tubal ligation and risk of ovarian cancer subtypes: a pooled analysis of case-control studies.Int J Epidemiol. 2013 Apr; 42: 579-589
- Total salpingectomy during abdominal hysterectomy: effects on ovarian reserve and ovarian stromal blood flow.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2007 Dec; 33: 863-869
- Opportunistic salpingectomy: uptake, risks, and complications of a regional initiative for ovarian cancer prevention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 May; 210 (471.e1,471.11)
- Opportunistic salpingectomy: impact of a regional program for ovarian cancer prevention.International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2013; 23 (1035-)
- Salpingectomy as standard at hysterectomy? A Danish cohort study, 1977–2010.BMJ open. 2013; 3
- Early detection of high-grade tubal serous carcinoma in women at low risk for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome by systematic examination of fallopian tubes incidentally removed during benign surgery.Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 Jun; 38: 729-742
- Costs and benefits of opportunistic salpingectomy as an ovarian cancer prevention strategy.Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Feb; 125: 338-345
- Effect of tubal sterilization technique on risk of serous epithelial ovarian and primary peritoneal carcinoma.Gynecol Oncol. 2014 Dec; 135: 423-427
- Tubal ligation and salpingectomy and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer and borderline ovarian tumors: a nationwide case-control study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015 Jan; 94: 86-94
- Prophylactic bilateral salpingectomy (PBS) to reduce ovarian cancer risk incorporated in standard premenopausal hysterectomy: complications and re-operation rate.J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2014 May; 140: 859-865
- Tumors of the ovary, maldeveloped gonads, fallopian tube, and broad ligament: atlas of tumor pathology. Fascicle 23.3rd series ed. Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1998
- High-grade serous ovarian cancer arises from fallopian tube in a mouse model.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Mar 6; 109: 3921-3926
Parker WH. Long-term mortality associated with oophorectomy compared with ovarian conservation in the nurses' health study.
Morelli M. Prophylactic salpingectomy in premenopausal low-risk women for ovarian cancer: primum non nocere.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Response to ‘Letter to the Editor’ by Wendy Hernandez-Fernandez et al.European Journal of CancerVol. 64
- Letter to the Editor regarding the paper by Sang-Hee Yoon et al., Bilateral salpingectomy can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer in the general population: A meta-analysisEuropean Journal of CancerVol. 64