- •Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients with MYC gene rearrangements have a dismal outcome on rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine and prednisone (R-CHOP) therapy.
- •Dismal outcome on standard therapy with R-CHOP justifies new treatment modalities
- •Intensification of classical chemotherapy is not leading to better overall survival
- •New therapies will be more specifically targeted against MYC and MYC related proteins
In the past decade, patients with newly diagnosed diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) were treated with R-CHOP (rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine and prednisone) therapy. Standard treatment is now changing as a result of deeper understanding of underlying biologic differences of such lymphomas. One of the most powerful predictors of an adverse outcome on R-CHOP therapy is the presence of a MYC gene rearrangement (MYC+ lymphoma). Determination of MYC gene rearrangement by FISH (fluorescent in situ hybridisation) has recently become a standard diagnostic procedure.
In this paper, an overview of current literature on MYC function and MYC+ lymphoma patient outcome is presented. Furthermore, we present 26 patients from our tertiary referral centre who were diagnosed with MYC+ lymphoma between 2009 and 2014. In our patient series, we confirm the dismal prognosis of MYC+ lymphoma patients. Intensification of classical chemotherapy does not lead to better overall survival, justifying new treatment modalities. First line therapy should be more specifically targeted against MYC and the genes and proteins that are deregulated by MYC. To this end, the first clinical trial in which MYC+ patients will be offered targeted treatment has recently been launched.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Genetic lesions in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 1069-1080
- Standard international prognostic index remains a valid predictor of outcome for patients with aggressive CD20+ B-cell lymphoma in the rituximab era.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2373-2380
- Rearrangement of MYC is associated with poor prognosis in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated in the era of rituximab.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 3360-3365
- C-MYC aberrations as prognostic factors in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studies.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e95020
- Double-hit B-cell lymphomas.Blood. 2011; 117: 2319-2331
- Long-term outcome of patients in the LNH-98.5 trial, the first randomized study comparing rituximab-CHOP to standard CHOP chemotherapy in DLBCL patients: a study by the Groupe d'Etudes des Lymphomes de l'Adulte.Blood. 2010; 116: 2040-2045
- CHOP-like chemotherapy with or without rituximab in young patients with good-prognosis diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma: 6-year results of an open-label randomised study of the MabThera International Trial (MInT) Group.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 1013-1022
- Rituximab plus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisolone in patients with newly diagnosed diffuse large B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a phase 3 comparison of dose intensification with 14-day versus 21-day cycles.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1817-1826
- Distinct types of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma identified by gene expression profiling.Nature. 2000; 403: 503-511
- The use of molecular profiling to predict survival after chemotherapy for diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1937-1947
- Addition of rituximab to standard chemotherapy improves the survival of both the germinal center B-cell-like and non-germinal center B-cell-like subtypes of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 4587-4594
- MYC+ diffuse large B-cell lymphoma is not salvaged by classical R-ICE or R-DHAP followed by BEAM plus autologous stem cell transplantation.Blood. 2012; 119: 4619-4624
- MYC status in concert with BCL2 and BCL6 expression predicts outcome in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.Blood. 2013; 121: 2253-2263
- c-Myc and cancer metabolism.Clin Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 5546-5553
- MYC on the path to cancer.Cell. 2012; 149: 22-35
Mitelman F., Johansson B., Mertens F. Database of chromosome aberrations and gene fusions in cancer. http://cgap.nci.nih.gov/Chromosomes/Mitelman [accessed 02.09.10].
- Concurrent expression of MYC and BCL2 in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with rituximab plus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3452-3459
- Immunohistochemical double-hit score is a strong predictor of outcome in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with rituximab plus cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3460-3467
- MYC/BCL2 protein coexpression contributes to the inferior survival of activated B-cell subtype of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and demonstrates high-risk gene expression signatures: a report from the international DLBCL rituximab-CHOP consortium program.Blood. 2013; 121: 4021-4031
- Impact of induction regimen and stem cell transplantation on outcomes in double-hit lymphoma: a multicenter retrospective analysis.Blood. 2014; 124: 2354-2361
- Double hit lymphoma: the MD Anderson Cancer Center clinical experience.Br J Haematol. 2014; 166: 891-901
- MYC+ aggresive B-cell lymphomas: novel therapy of untreated Burkitt lymphoma (BL) and MYC+ diffuse large B-Cell lymphoma (DLBCL) with DA-EPOCH-R.Abstr ICML. 2011;
- Immunohistochemical detection of MYC-driven diffuse large B-cell lymphomas.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e33813
- Rearrangements of MYC gene facilitate risk stratification in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients treated with rituximab-CHOP.Mod Pathol. 2013;
- The BCL-2-specific BH3-mimetic ABT-199 (GDC-0199) is active and well-tolerated in patients with relapsed non-Hodgkin lymphoma: interim results of a phase I study.ASH Abstr Number. 2012; 304
- ABT-199, a BH3 mimetic that specifically targets Bcl-2, enhances the antitumor activity of chemotherapy, bortezomib, and JQ1 in “double hit” lymphoma cells.Leuk Lymphoma. 2014; : 1-12
- BET domain co-regulators in obesity, inflammation and cancer.Nat Rev Cancer. 2012; 12: 465-477
- Discovery and characterization of super-enhancer-associated dependencies in diffuse large B cell lymphoma.Cancer Cell. 2013; 24: 777-790
- Selective inhibition of BET bromodomains.Nature. 2010; 468: 1067-1073
- Targeting MYC dependence in cancer by inhibiting BET bromodomains.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011; 108: 16669-16674
- Inhibition of bromodomain proteins for the treatment of human diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 113-122
- Lenalidomide downregulates the cell survival factor, interferon regulatory factor-4, providing a potential mechanistic link for predicting response.Br J Haematol. 2011; 154: 325-336
- Cereblon is a direct protein target for immunomodulatory and antiproliferative activities of lenalidomide and pomalidomide.Leukemia. 2012; 26: 2326-2335
- Lenalidomide combined with R-CHOP overcomes negative prognostic impact of non-germinal center B-cell phenotype in newly diagnosed diffuse large B-Cell lymphoma: a phase II study.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 251-257
Published online: January 25, 2016
Accepted: December 4, 2015
Received in revised form: October 22, 2015
Received: May 10, 2015
© 2015 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.