- •Hypertension is a commonly observed adverse event with angiogenesis inhibitors.
- •We explore hypertension as a predictive marker with pazopanib and sunitinib in renal cell carcinoma.
- •In data from three trials, hypertension was not associated with efficacy outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- VEGF upregulates ecNOS message, protein, and NO production in human endothelial cells.Am J Physiol. 1998; 274: H1054-H1058
- Vascular endothelial growth factor/vascular permeability factor produces nitric oxide-dependent hypotension. Evidence for a maintenance role in quiescent adult endothelium.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997; 17: 2793-2800
- Suppression of the nitric oxide pathway in metastatic renal cell carcinoma patients receiving vascular endothelial growth factor-signaling inhibitors.Hypertension. 2010; 56: 1131-1136
- Vascular endothelial growth factor-induced nitric oxide- and PGI2-dependent relaxation in human internal mammary arteries: a comparative study with KDR and Flt-1 selective mutants.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004; 44: 615-621
- Effects of vascular endothelial growth factor on hemodynamics and cardiac performance.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1996; 27: 838-844
- Cardiovascular toxicity following sunitinib therapy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a multicenter analysis.Ann Oncol. 2009; 20: 1535-1542
- Risk of cardiac ischemia and arterial thromboembolic events with the angiogenesis inhibitor bevacizumab in cancer patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Acta Oncol. 2010; 49: 287-297
- Incidence and risk of hypertension with sorafenib in patients with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 117-123
- Risk of hypertension and renal dysfunction with an angiogenesis inhibitor sunitinib: systematic review and meta-analysis.Acta Oncologica. 2009; 48: 9-17
- Hypertension as a biomarker of efficacy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 763-773
- Diastolic blood pressure as a biomarker of axitinib efficacy in solid tumors.Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 3841-3849
- Pazopanib in locally advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma: results of a randomized phase III trial.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1061-1068
- Efficacy and safety of pazopanib in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 28: 475-480
- Pazopanib versus sunitinib in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 722-731
- Vascular development, pulse pressure, and the mechanisms of hypertension.Hypertension. 2005; 46: 205-209
- Re: Hypertension as a biomarker of efficacy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103 (author reply 1558): 1557
- Hypertension as a potential biomarker of efficacy in patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumor treated with sunitinib.Ann Oncol. 2012; 23: 3180-3187
- Axitinib versus sorafenib as second-line treatment for advanced renal cell carcinoma: overall survival analysis and updated results from a randomised phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 552-562
- Analysis of survival by tumor response.J Clin Oncol. 1983; 1: 710-719
- Landmark analysis at the 25-year landmark point.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011; 4: 363-371
- Axitinib with or without dose titration for first-line metastatic renal-cell carcinoma: a randomised double-blind phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 1233-1242
- Initial assessment, surveillance, and management of blood pressure in patients receiving vascular endothelial growth factor signaling pathway inhibitors.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010; 102: 596-604
- Hypertension (HTN) as a biomarker of efficacy in pazopanib-treated patients (pts) with advanced non-adipocytic soft tissue sarcoma (STS).Eur J Cancer. 2013; 49 (Abstract 3832)
- Analysis of early hypertension and clinical outcome with bevacizumab: results from seven phase III studies.Oncologist. 2013; 18: 273-280