- •The burden of melanoma divided by stages was assessed through the disability-adjusted life year methodology.
- •A melanoma disease model was developed in order to predict the evolution of patients from diagnosis until death.
- •Years lived with disability (YLD) and years of life lost (YLL) were calculated for each American Joint Committee on Cancer stage with credible interval.
- •One of the more interesting conclusions is that YLD generated by localised melanoma which will never metastasize was inferior to YLL resulting from stage IA melanomas.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cutaneous melanoma.Lancet. 2014; 383: 816-827
- The melanoma epidemic: reality and artefact.BMJ. 1996; 312: 137-138
- Melanoma epidemic: a midsummer night's dream?.Br J Dermatol. 2009; 161: 630-634
- Skin biopsy rates and incidence of melanoma: population based ecological study.BMJ. 2005; 331: 481
- The kinetics of the visible growth of a primary melanoma reflects the tumor aggressiveness and is an independent prognostic marker: a prospective study.Int J Cancer. 2002; 102: 34-38
- Growth rate, early detection, and prevention of melanoma: melanoma epidemiology revisited and future challenges.Arch Dermatol. 2006; 142: 1638-1640
- The melanoma burden in Belgium; premature morbidity and mortality make melanoma a considerable health problem.Melanoma Res. 1999; 9: 614-618
- The health burden and economic costs of cutaneous melanoma mortality by race/ethnicity-United States, 2000 to 2006.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011; 65: S133-S143
- The impact of generalized malignant melanoma on quality of life evaluated by the EORTC questionnaire technique.Qual Life Res. 1993; 2: 193-203
- Survival is not the only valuable end point in melanoma screening.J Invest Dermatol. 2012; 132: 1332-1337
- Ipilimumab in 2nd line treatment of patients with advanced melanoma: a cost-effectiveness analysis.J Med Econ. 2013; 16: 202-212
- Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2197-2223
- Global burden of cancer in 2008: a systematic analysis of disability-adjusted life-years in 12 world regions.The Lancet. 2012; 380: 1840-1850
- Quantifying burden of disease to support public health policy in Belgium: opportunities and constraints.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 1196
- Burden of disease due to cutaneous melanoma has increased in the Netherlands since 1991.Br J Dermatol. 2013; 169: 389-397
- Burden of disease due to cancer in Spain.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 42
- Burden of disease due to cancer in England and Wales.Journal of Public Health. 2011; 34: 287-295
- Belgian Cancer Registry. 2014
- The GLOBOCAN project.2012
- TNM classification of malignant tumors.7th ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford2009
- Final version of 2009 AJCC melanoma staging and classification.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 6199-6206
- Health related quality of life in melanoma patients expressed as utilities and disability weights.Br J Dermatol. 2014; 171: 1443-1450
- Quality of life in localised malignant melanoma.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: 2428-2435
- Impact of melanoma on patients' lives among 562 survivors: a Dutch population-based study.Arch Dermatol. 2011; 147: 177-185
- Hazard rates for recurrent and secondary cutaneous melanoma: an analysis of 33,384 patients in the German Central Malignant Melanoma Registry.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012; 66: 37-45
- Long-term results of the randomized phase III trial EORTC 18991 of adjuvant therapy with pegylated interferon alfa-2b versus observation in resected stage III melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3810-3818
- Five-year survival rates for treatment-naive patients with advanced melanoma who received ipilimumab plus dacarbazine in a phase III trial.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 1191-1196
- Tables de mortalité et espérance de vie.2013
- GBD 2010: design, definitions, and metrics.The Lancet. 2012; 380: 2063-2066
- Quantifying the burden of disease: the technical basis for disability-adjusted life years.Bull World Health Organ. 1994; 72: 429-445
- Superior outcome of women with stage I/II cutaneous melanoma: pooled analysis of four European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer phase III trials.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2240-2247
- Sex is an independent prognostic indicator for survival and relapse/progression-free survival in metastasized stage III to IV melanoma: a pooled analysis of five European organisation for research and treatment of cancer randomized controlled trials.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 2337-2346