- •Breast cancer trials are more inclusive than chronic disease trials.
- •Despite this, it was rare for more than 45% of women to be eligible.
- •Clinical and trial eligibility criteria are sometimes substantially different.
- •Many women receive treatments tested in trials for which they would be ineligible.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- External validity of randomised controlled trials: “to whom do the results of this trial apply?”.Lancet. 2005; 365: 82-93
- Explanatory and pragmatic attitudes in therapeutical trials.J Chronic Dis. 1967; 20: 637-648
- Making trials matter: pragmatic and explanatory trials and the problem of applicability.Trials. 2009; 10: 37
- External validity of randomised controlled trials in asthma: to whom do the results of the trials apply?.Thorax. 2007; 62: 219-223
- External validity of randomized controlled trials in COPD.Respir Med. 2007; 101: 1313-1320
- External validity of randomized controlled trials of glycaemic control and vascular disease: how representative are participants?.Diabet Med. 2013; 30: 300-308
- Are patients in clinical trials representative of the general population? Dose intensity and toxicities associated with FE100C-D chemotherapy in a non-trial population of node positive breast cancer patients compared with PACS-01 trial group.Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47: 215-220
- The guidelines manual.National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, London2009
- What kind of randomized trials do we need?.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 461-463
- Factors that can affect the external validity of randomised controlled trials.PLoS Clin Trials. 2006; 1: e9
- Practical clinical trials: increasing the value of clinical research for decision making in clinical and health policy.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1624-1632
- Cohort study examining tamoxifen adherence and its relationship to mortality in women with breast cancer.Br J Cancer. 2008; 99: 1763-1768
- The importance of nonpharmacogenetic factors in endocrine therapy.Pharmacogenomics. 2012; 13: 721-728
- Early and locally advanced breast cancer: diagnosis and treatment National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence guideline 2009.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2009; 21: 159-160
- American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline: update on adjuvant endocrine therapy for women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 3784-3796
- Fractionation for whole breast irradiation: an American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) evidence-based guideline.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 81: 59-68
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. SIGN 84 Management of breast cancer in women. A national clinical guideline. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Edinburgh 2005.
British Medical Journal. Best Practice: Primary invasive breast cancer. 2012 cited; Available from: <http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-practice/monograph/716/treatment/step-by-step.html>.
- Cohort study of adherence to adjuvant endocrine therapy, breast cancer recurrence and mortality.Br J Cancer. 2013; 108: 1515-1524
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- A comparison of systemic therapy utilization in British Columbia, Scotland, and Western Australia with models of “optimal” therapy.Breast. 2012; 21: 562-569
- (Arimidex, tamoxifen alone or in combination) trialists’ group. Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early breast cancer: first results of the ATAC randomized trial.Lancet. 2002; 359: 2131-2139
- A comparison of letrozole and tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2747-2757
- Randomized trial of breast irradiation schedules after lumpectomy for women with lymph node-negative breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002; 94: 1143-1150
- Recurrence rates after treatment of breast cancer with standard radiotherapy with or without additional radiation.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1378-1387
- A randomized trial of exemestane after two to three years of tamoxifen therapy in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1081-1092
- Randomized trial of letrozole in postmenopausal women after five years of tamoxifen therapy for early-stage breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1793-1802
- Paclitaxel after doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide as adjuvant chemotherapy for node-positive breast cancer: results from NSABP B-28.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 3686-3696
- The UK Standardisation of Breast Radiotherapy (START) trial A of radiotherapy hypofractionation for treatment of early breast cancer: a randomised trial.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 331-341
- The UK Standardisation of Breast Radiotherapy (START) Trial B of radiotherapy hypofractionation for treatment of early breast cancer: a randomised trial.Lancet. 2008; 371: 1098-1107
- TACT Trial Management Group; tact trialists. sequential docetaxel as adjuvant chemotherapy for early breast cancer (TACT): an open-label, phase III, randomized controlled trial.Lancet. 2009; 373: 1681-1692
- Targeted intra-operative radiotherapy versus whole breast radiotherapy for breast cancer (TARGIT-A Trial): an international, prospective, randomized, non-inferiority phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 91-102
- Adjuvant tamoxifen and exemestane in early breast cancer (TEAM): a randomized phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2011; 377: 321-331
- ATAC Trialists’ Group. Results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial after completion of 5 years’ adjuvant treatment for breast cancer.Lancet. 2005; 365: 60-62
Eligibility criteria of randomized controlled trials published in high-impact general medical journals. JAMA 2007;297:1233–40.
- Assessment of differences in patient populations selected for or excluded from participation in clinical phase III acute myelogenous leukemia trials.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3933-3939
- Herceptin adjuvant (HERA) trial study team. Trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1659-1672