Trastuzumab has been approved for use in combination with fluoropyrimidine plus cisplatin for the treatment of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-positive advanced gastric cancer (AGC). Although capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) is a standard first-line regimen for AGC, combination trastuzumab plus XELOX has not been studied.
Patients with metastatic or unresectable HER2-positive AGC were diagnosed by either HER2 immunohistochemistry (IHC) 3+ or IHC 2+/fluorescence in-situ hybridisation (FISH)+ received intravenous trastuzumab (8 mg/kg for first cycle and 6 mg/kg for subsequent cycles on day 1) plus oral capecitabine (1000 mg/m2 twice daily on days 1–14) and intravenous oxaliplatin (130 mg/m2 on day 1), every 3 weeks. The primary end-point was the objective response rate, and secondary end-points included progression-free survival (PFS), overall survival (OS) and toxicity profiles.
Fifty-five HER2-positive AGC patients were enrolled between August 2011 and February 2013. The median age was 57 years (range = 29–74). The confirmed objective response rate was 67% (95% confidence interval (CI) = 54–80%). After a median follow-up period of 13.8 months (range = 6.1–23.9), the median PFS and OS were 9.8 months (95% CI = 7.0–12.6) and 21.0 months (95% CI = 6.4–35.7), respectively. Frequently encountered grade 3–4 toxicities included neutropenia (18%), anaemia (11%), and peripheral neuropathy (11%). There was a treatment-related death caused by severe diarrhoea and complicated sepsis.
Combination of trastuzumab and XELOX is well tolerated and highly effective in patients with HER2-positive AGC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2011.Cancer Res Treat. 2014; 46: 109-123
- Management of gastric cancer in Asia: resource-stratified guidelines.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: e535-e547
- HER2 in gastric cancer: a new prognostic factor and a novel therapeutic target.Ann Oncol. 2008; 19: 1523-1529
- Assessment of a HER2 scoring system for gastric cancer: results from a validation study.Histopathology. 2008; 52: 797-805
- HER2-positive gastric cancer.Gastric Cancer. 2013; 17: 1-12
- Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 687-697
- Recent advances in chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer.APJOH. 2010; 2: 67-74
- Capecitabine/cisplatin versus 5-fluorouracil/cisplatin as first-line therapy in patients with advanced gastric cancer: a randomised phase III noninferiority trial.Ann Oncol. 2009; 20: 666-673
- Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancer.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 36-46
- Phase III trial in metastatic gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma with fluorouracil, leucovorin plus either oxaliplatin or cisplatin: a study of the arbeitsgemeinschaft internistische onkologie.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 1435-1442
- Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 858-859
- Comprehensive analysis of HER2 expression and gene amplification in gastric cancers using immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization: which scoring system should we use?.Hum Pathol. 2012; 43: 413-422
- New response evaluation criteria in solid tumours: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1).Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 228-247
- Optimal two-stage designs for phase II.Clinical Trials. 2002; : 1-10
- Capecitabine in combination with Oxaliplatin (XELOX) as a first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2007; 61: 623-629
- Triweekly oxaliplatin plus oral capecitabine as first-line chemotherapy in elderly patients with advanced gastric cancer.Am J Clin Oncol. 2009; 32: 559-563
- Trastuzumab and oxaliplatin exhibit a synergistic antitumor effect in HER2-postive gastric cancer cells.Anticancer Drugs. 2014; 25: 315-322
- Thromboembolism in patients with advanced gastroesophageal cancer treated with anthracycline, platinum, and fluoropyrimidine combination chemotherapy: a report from the UK national cancer research institute upper gastrointestinal clinical studies group.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3786-3793
Published online: February 03, 2015
Accepted: December 29, 2014
Received in revised form: December 10, 2014
Received: October 1, 2014
© 2015 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.