Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Cancer
- A population-based study of prevalence of complementary methods use by cancer survivors: a report from the American Cancer Society’s studies of cancer survivors.Cancer. 2008; 113: 1048-1057
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine in cancer patients: a European survey.Ann Oncol. 2005; 16: 655-663
- The use of complementary and alternative medicine among Chinese women with breast cancer.J Altern Complement Med. 2008; 14: 1049-1055
- Differences in perceived risks and benefits of herbal, over-the-counter conventional, and prescribed conventional, medicines, and the implications of this for the safe and effective use of herbal products.Complement Ther Med. 2007; 15: 84-91
- Remission of hormone-refractory prostate cancer attributed to Essiac.Can J Urol. 2005; 12: 2841-2842
- Herbal therapy “PC-SPES” for Japanese patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer.Nishinihon J Urol. 2003; 65: 460-465
- Role of herbal compounds (PC-SPES) in hormone-refractory prostate cancer: two case reports.J Altern Complement Med. 2000; 6: 449-451
Moyad MA, Pienta KJ, Montie JE. Use of PC-SPES, a commercially available supplement for prostate cancer, in a patient with hormone-naive disease. Urology 1999;54:319–23 [discussion 23–4].
- Rapid rise of serum prostate specific antigen levels after discontinuation of the herbal therapy PC-SPES in patients with advanced prostate carcinoma: report of four cases.Cancer. 2002; 94: 686-689
- Regression of squamous cell carcinoma of the lung by Chinese herbal medicine: a case with an 8-year follow-up.Lung Cancer. 2004; 43: 355-360
- Clinical effectiveness of combination therapy with oriental herbal medicine and Hatakeshimeji (Lyophyllum decates sing.) in two patients with advanced non-small lung cancer.Biotherapy. 2005; 19: 417-421
- The effect of a traditional Chinese prescription for a case of lung carcinoma.J Altern Complement Med. 2000; 6: 557-559
- Sustained complete remission of CLL associated with the use of a Chinese herbal extract: case report and mechanistic analysis.Leuk Res. 2003; 27: 859-863
- Regression of gastric large B-cell lymphoma accompanied by a florid lymphoma-like T-cell reaction: immunomodulatory effect of Ganoderma lucidum (Lingzhi)?.Int J Surg Pathol. 2007; 15: 180-186
- Clinical effects of oral green tea extracts in four patients with low grade B-cell malignancies.Leuk Res. 2006; 30: 707-712
- Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor case report: treatment with surgical excision, radiation therapy, and alternative medicines.J Neurol Oncol. 2005; 72: 85-88
- Systemic administration of hochu-ekki-to (bu-zhong-yi-qi-tang), a Japanese-Chinese herbal medicine, maintains interferon-gamma production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells in patients with mycosis fungoides.J Dermatol. 1998; 25: 131-133
- Successful treatment of metastatic malignant melanoma with Viscum album extract (Iscador M).J Altern Complement Med. 2007; 13: 443-445
- Therapeutic use of mistletoe for CD30+ cutaneous lymphoproliferative disorder/lymphomatoid papulosis.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2007; 21: 558-560
- Are immune responses pivotal to cancer patient’s long term survival? Two clinical case-study reports on the effects of Morinda citrifolia (noni).Hawaii Med J. 2004; 63: 182-184
- Long-term survival of a patient with widespread metastases from Barrett’s adenocarcinoma.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2001; 27: 509-510
- Regression of hepatocellular carcinoma spontaneous or herbal medicine related?.Am J Chin Med. 2004; 32: 579-585
- Pulmonary embolus related to PC-SPES use in a patient with PSA recurrence after radical prostatectomy.Urology. 2002; 59: 444
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation and PC-SPES: a case report and literature review.Can J Urol. 2001; 8: 1326-1329
- Delayed-type hypersensitivity reaction with iscador M given in combination with cytotoxic chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 4432-4434
- Hypereosinophilia induced by high-dose intratumoral and peritumoral mistletoe application to a patient with pancreatic carcinoma.J Altern Complement Med. 2000; 6: 305-310
- Urothelial malignant disease and Chinese herbal nephropathy.Lancet. 2001; 358: 1515-1516
- Invasive urothelial carcinoma after exposure to Chinese herbal medicine containing aristolochic acid may occur without severe renal failure.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2003; 18: 426-428
- Urothelial malignancy in nephropathy due to Chinese herbs .Lancet. 1994; 344: 188
- Chinese herbs nephropathy and renal pelvic carcinoma.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1995; 10: 270-273
- Pre-operative hepatitis in a woman treated with Chinese medicines.Anaesthesia. 2003; 58: 1096-1100
- Chinese herbal remedies and radiotherapy.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2002; 14: 431-432
- Herbal/hormonal dietary supplement possibly associated with prostate cancer progression.Clin Cancer Res. 2008; 14: 607-611
- A hidden cause of hypokalemic paralysis in a patient with prostate cancer.Support Care Cancer. 2004; 12: 810-812
Lehmann D. Hypokalemic hypochloremic metabolic alkalosis and hyponatremia in a man with prostate cancer ingesting local plant extracts. Drug Investigation 7:166–68.
- Hemorrhage after the preoperative use of complementary and alternative medicines.AANA J. 2000; 68: 217-220
- Alternative medicine in gynecologic oncology: a case report.Gynecol Oncol. 2000; 77: 190-192
- Drug interaction between complementary herbal medicines and gefitinib.J Thorac Oncol. 2008; 3: 942-943
- Phytoestrogen supplementation: a case report of male breast cancer.Eur J Cancer Prev. 2004; 13: 481-484
- Intraoperative haemorrhage associated with the use of extract of Saw Palmetto herb: a case report and review of literature.J Intern Med. 2001; 250: 167-169
- Severe reversible bone marrow suppression induced by Selaginella doederleinii.J Toxicol – Clin Toxicol. 2001; 39: 637-639
- Severe bone marrow depression induced by an anticancer herb Cantharanthus roseus.J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2004; 42: 667-671
- Death from metastatic basal cell carcinoma: herbal remedy or just unlucky?.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008; 61: 846-848
- Effectiveness of the herbal medicine daikenchuto for radiation-induced enteritis.J Altern Complement Med. 2008; 14: 753-755
- Efficacy of Nyoshinsan/TJ-67, a traditional herbal medicine, for menopausal symptoms following surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy for premenopausal breast cancer.Int J Clin Oncol. 2008; 13: 185-189
- Mistletoe in conventional oncological practice: exemplary cases.Integr Cancer Ther. 2008; 7: 162-171
- Silymarin during maintenance therapy of acute promyelocytic leukemia.Haematologica. 1993; 78: 340-341
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=mistletoe+AND+cancer [accessed 1.11.10].
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=green+tea+AND+cancer [accessed 1.11.10].
- Case reports and case series from Lancet had significant impact on medical literature.J Clin Epi. 2005; 58: 1227-1232
- Clinical case reporting in evidence based medicine.2 ed. Arnold, London2001
Klaassen C. Heavy metals and heavy metals antagonists. In: Hardiman J, Gilman A, Limbird L, editors. Goodman and Gilman’s the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1996. p. 1649–72.
- Arsenic trioxide, a therapeutic agent for APL.Oncogene. 2001; 20: 7146-7153
- Arsenic and old myths.RI Med. 1994; 77: 233-234
- Delicious poison: arsenic trioxide for the treatment of leukemia.Blood. 1997; 89: 3487-3488
- Action of iron, cod-liver oil, and arsenic on the globular richness of the blood.Am J Med Sci. 1878; 75: 74-84
- Arsenic as a therapeutic agent in chronic myelogenous leukemia.JAMA. 1931; 97: 3-5
- Ai-Lin 1 treated 32 cases of acute promyelocytic leukemia.Chin J Integr Chin West Med. 1992; 12: 170-172
- Arsenic trioxide treated 72 cases of acute promyelocytic leukemia.Chin J Hematol. 1996; 17: 58-62
- Use of arsenic trioxide (As2O3) in the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia (AFL): II. Clinical efficacy and pharmacokinetics in relapsed patients.Blood. 1997; 89: 3354-3360
- Complete remission after treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia with arsenic trioxide.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 1341-1348
- US multicenter trial of arsenic trioxide (AT) in acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL).Blood. 1999; 94: 698a
Anonymous. PC-SPES for prostate health: product information. Brea, CA: Botanic Lab; 2000.
- Clinical and biologic activity of an estrogenic herbal combination (PC-SPES) in prostate cancer.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 785-791
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/pc-spes/healthprofessional/page6 [accessed 1.11.10].
http://nccam.nih.gov/research/news/pcspes.htm [accessed 1.11.10].
- The effects of PC-Spes on chemosensitive and chemoresistant head and neck cancer cells and primary mucosal keratinocytes.Oncol Rep. 2009; 21: 1297-1305
- Phase I trial of PC-SPES2 in advanced hormone refractory prostate cancer.Oncol Rep. 2008; 19: 831-835
- The spontaneous regression of cancer. A review of cases from 1900 to 1987.Acta Oncol. 1990; 29: 545-550
- Survey of complementary and alternative medicine practitioners regarding cancer management and research.J. Soc Integr Oncol. 2009; 7: 26-34
- Survey of cancer researchers regarding complementary and alternative medicine.J Soc Integr Oncol. 2008; 6: 2-12
http://www.cancer.gov/cam/research_funding_apa.html [accessed 1.11.10].
- Unique aspects of herbal system research.Explore. 2009; 5: 97-103